Share your OSW Settings

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by cookie, May 12, 2016.

1. Markj

Markj Registered

2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

3. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Thank you for this suggestion. The vibration from the kerbs are really crazy in rFactor 2... hasn't really been a noticeable issue in AC or AMS for me. I've got mine mounted to my GT Omega ART. It's doing perfectly fine against the forces, but these vibrations from kerbs are basically shaking the whole frame.

This thread has been super helpful to get my new OSW calibrated with rFactor 2... I'm so very happy with my new wheel.

Narrowbackwing and RaceNut like this.
  4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Do you have some smoothing applied in RF2 controls? That can turn down the strong kerbs effect

djfil007 likes this.
  5. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Thank you Prodigy. That was the key to my happiness. :) Here's the settings I've settled on for now...

[MMOS Global]
    Steering Angle Rotation = adjust every car, check controller settings screen for correct value.
    Steering Stop = Gain 20x, Max 100%
    Force Settings = Overall Filter 24 / Min Force 0% / Max Force 100%
    Effect Filters = Off / Off / Off
    Desktop Effect = Off
    User Effect = Off
    [re: Overall Filter- Found this was the perfect balance for me of this vs in-game FFB Smoothing. Even with high MMOS filter (75%), still gives lots of road feel, but still cancels harsh vibration from rumble style kerbs]

[rFactor 2]
    In a default Controller.JSON:

"Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering torque capability":20,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",

In-Game:

Steering Rate 100%
    Speed Sensitivty 0%
    Car-Specific FFB 0.50 - 0.75 [depends car to car, I prefer lighter feedback than most]
    FFB Smoothing 3
    FFB Minimum Torque 0.0%

EDIT: Just wanted to provide one further update. I haven't made any changes yet... but I've been advised that FFB Smoothing may introduce input lag (I honestly didn't notice if it has), and MMOS Damper effect may result in tougher time catching countersteering (due to slower wheel movement). But I'm extremely happy to have it working and feeling great to my standards.

EDIT: July 1, 2017 : Found a much better option for filtering out the harsh kerbs, but keeping more of the amazing rFactor 2 road feel. See updates above.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  6. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Related question... is there anyway to get Soft Lock working with MMos in rFactor 2? Or just like rFactor 1 (and AMS, etc) I'll have to set per car via MMos? Thanks!

7. ApainPlost

ApainPlost Registered

You have to set per car via MMos. Make different profile in Mmos.

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Or you can make one global MMoS profile for RF2 and change the steering lock "on the fly". Once you get in the garage and check the vehicle lock, then ALT-TAB the game to MMoS and change the steering lock.

9. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Ok. On further review, and going back and forth between other sims... I really don't like the FFB with OSW in rF2. I just can't get it tuned for the way I'd expect it to handle. The force feedback feels completely foreign, especially as switching between car types (FWD Touring Car, RWD Open Wheel, etc). Like FWD Touring Cars, when the front tyres slip it wants to pull me in... but with a RWD, it's like almost totally opposite. Is there any suggestions to make it more consistent, or more like AC and/or AMS? Would appreciate settings shared to help further. There's lots of good content I want to visit in rF2... but the FFB keeps pushing me back towards other games.

Small MiGE (20nm) w/ SimuCUBE. Granity is with default settings as provided by Ollie w/ my SW20 kit from his site.

EDIT: To further describe my issue. I don't want to turn down feedback in rF2, as when I do this I lose all the road feeling and weight of the wheel. But I don't want the (compared to AC/AMS...) over exaggerated changes in wheel weight (gain/loss of traction), and large vibrations and shunts from rumble kerbs and similar. I'm not sure which filter combination would work best, without loss of actual road feeling.

EDIT2: My complaint about the FFB is more prominent with FWD cars (Honda BTCC, Renault Clio Cup, etc).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I'd love to know how your getting on with your rF2 OSW issues as I'm currently waiting for my OSW to arrive. It's quite uncanny how similar your set is to mine. GT Omega ART and I've ordered the small MiGE 20nm with SimuCUBE so i'm increasingly concerned about this beast upsetting my rF2 time as it's my No1 got-to sim.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Don't worry, I think the gripes djfil007 has with rF2's FFB might because a misunderstanding of proper race FWD cars. I find the FFB with the IONI Pro based OSW unbelievable, check out the Flat6 and F2000 and you will be simply amazed. Don't fret!

12. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. My Christmas is just over 3 weeks away! I went for a pre set up and tested model which moves delivery to around 3-4 weeks. I'm coming from a (now) wonky 'launch day' T500 v1 and am rather excited. Just need to get myself a proper steering wheel and button box. :)

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Oh you lucky bastard! :eek::D Congrats, brother. :cool::)

14. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Thank you bro! Have taken the plunge. Just have to find a way to put the time in between now and delivery. Not gonna be easy.

Alex72 likes this.
  15. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Alex72 likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

bravotangosix likes this.
  17. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Awesome. I've been squirreling money away for the last year or so and decided on Monday enough was enough. Certainly don't have the money to just drop out of the blue on something like this. Hope your wait isn't too long chum! ;)

18. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Indeed... DD FTW! :) Its a must have sooner or later because otherwise you're not a REAL SIMMER!!! :p

Im not a real simmer yet... Im sad now. :(

bravotangosix likes this.
  19. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

All RWD cars/karts feel great to me... really amazing. Maybe the FFB for the FWD cars are correct to real life, but it seems so foreign and violent to me. I guess It's something I'll just have to get used to if I want to keep playing FWD (touring cars, etc) cars in rF2.

20. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll find out for myself in a few weeks when it arrives. :D

The Iron Wolf likes this.