Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I will try again tonight. I was a little concerned that magical rF2 feel was gone. I spent most of last night driving in DX9. It's definitely back to normal.

It must be a latency of some sort the same as I have in AC. Physics out of sync with graphics.

I didn't try DX11 on my triples. I'll do that tonight.

Specs. 1080Ti, i7 4790, 16 gigs of ram, CV1, Windows 10.

I will make videos or anything else you need.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

when I get my replacement rift I will test myself ,
    ( in my pic that little monitor at the side of my rig is just for windows desktop )

that magical feeling of rf2 is everything, agreed its not there in AC

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Thanks!

I noticed that each development team has a kind of signature. rF2 to helped me understand Pcars better. I never had so much fun with sims since discovering rF2 and I thought AC was the geatest thing.
    I know racing is about competition but sim development should be about working together from a customers point of view. I wouldn't want to live without any of sims I have.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Re: My earlier post in this thread, #348 (the Pimax4K HMD): It turns out there is already at least one person using this HMD here (I won't say who--he can chime in if he wants to), and he seems to think well of it, with a few caveats. Yes, there is more than a bit of ghosting--the Pimax apparently only runs@60 Hz--and, because it offers no positional track *yet*, it needs to be reset from time-to-time when the head is centered. I'm wondering if a simple IR emitter/detector couldn't be rigged up to do that automatically, and he just moments ago pointed me at some other alternatives too [thanks, man!]....

As it happens, a league-buddy who saw me speculating about the Pimax sent me his barely used unit for the cost of shipping just two days ago (he prefers his Rift, at present), and I now have everything EXCEPT the video card necessary to drive it (hope to put the PC together before the weekend). I currently have my eye on THIS GTX 1080 Ti: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/06/12/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_4k_video_card_review

...but its bigger, badder brother, the MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z announced at Computex will arrive too at some point. I might have already taken out my wallet by then. :D

----

Some of you might have seen the video I put up in another thread about using a projector for racing, and this PImax will match that pretty well in terms of pixel density...

...but true 4K projectors (Optoma UHD60/UHD65) are expected to ship soon, and at a price I might consider.

---

The enemy of any good solution is always the better solution.

CS

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Ah man!! I thought I had the biggest and fastest video card ever and something even better is coming?

All serious, as a 1080Ti owner, we still need more power. Although I think a lot could be done with sharpening for vr or a sharpening tool that would let us tune the picture in vr.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  6. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

I'm having an issue at night in VR. When cars in front of me break, it produces a square white light behind them. Anyone knows how to fix this?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What car & track is this on?
    Is the car and track updated to DX11?

8. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I'm sure this is an unupdated DX9 mod's bloom issue.

9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

@vegaguy5555 , @Christopher Snow , can you guys sig your cpu's? I'm in the fence (in preparation for my CV1's arrival in couple of weeks) on whether I'd need to upgrade my i5-4670k to an i7-4790k and/or 980Ti to a higher one. I've read many threads (ie. TomsHardware, reddit, etc) but couldn't find specific performance feedback to compare my cpu, and whether the Sim would run well. I have the same query as well for AC but most of the guys I see are using i7's :). As most know, few years back, it was the notion that i5 is fine for gaming, but not sure with the current VR releases of Sims.

I'd have to backtrack through the thread though, might find someone's HW similar to mine (though not sure as most don't have HW specs in the sigs).

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I think is ok CPU and GPU. With ASW

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

my i5-3570k is fine for VR, see the technical forum and my benchmarks for further information, essentially I run without hassles, can't do Full/Max settings but can run with Medium/High in RF2 no problem.

12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

I see. I guess my perception was trying to avoid ASW (targetting 90fps), as I read some say they can't stand running with ASW on. Is it smooth with it ON, or any visual differences noticeable on vs off? I won't be able to tell how ASW looks like, as it won't be visible in youtube vids? That's the tech forum here, I suppose? I'll check it out now.
    Thanks.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's all down to personal preference, if I lock to 45 I see no visible differences and yes it's smooth. If I have ASW on Auto then I can see some slight "errors" in visuals but again personally it's not enough to put me off but others may find it hard to race with. Getting a rock solid 90 in VR is not the be all and end all, sure it'd be nice if you have a system powerful enough but many people are enjoying VR with lower specs (like me) :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks MarcG. Is it like judder, or stutter? Great to hear it isn't bad. I hope it can be said similarly w/ AC, as most CV1 users I've seen there have powerful rigs, w/ some still not maintaining 90fps, w/c I guess no HW can yet handle ATM. BTW, any idea if rF2's CPU intensive too, or benchmarks there comparing i5 vs i7?
    Just trying to get as much info I can (though hard at times w/o the unit at hand), in preparation, anxiously waiting.

15. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I'm getting perfectly acceptable results with an AMD FX8350 / RX480 8gb

For example:

Running on medium / high settings
    I think you will be fine with what you have.
    One thing to note obviously is I'm on a DK2, which is a little easier on the hardware. But I think the requirements for a decent VR experience have been a little overblown.

Cote Dazur and Mario Morais like this.
  16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Hope so, thanks. Will find out when it arrives. And DK2 doesn't have ASW, right? Know what frame rates you were running during this race?

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

It does have ASW, but with a 75hz update instead of 90hz on the CV1.
    I've checked with OTT and it does indeed show as 37.5 fps if you lock ASW on.

With ASW on auto it varies enormously from track to track and what car you are using. Some mods are very badly optimised.

sherpa25 likes this.
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AC did struggle with strange artefacts with ASW On (Auto) but then a patch fixed those little issues, for the most part AC is the best performer of the 3 I own (AC, RaceRoom & RF2) and I can get a smooth 90fps with the right Car & Track combo if I'm lucky. I've never noticed any severe stutter/judder unless my settings have been too high and that's where a lot of people fail, they think because they have a decent PC they can have the same settings for their 60fps monitor as they can for VR but it just doesn't work like that, you have to be patient and be prepared to lower details in order to get a smooth VR experience. But it's not like you need to drop all settings to Low and keep them there as I have proven with my setup, it's all about finding the right balance.

Remember it's still early tech, both Oculus & Vive are still learning as well as nVidia/AMD and then the software companies themselves, so if you don't mind a bit of tweaking & messing about to get it working just right then you'll be just fine :)

Cote Dazur and sherpa25 like this.
  19. andrea

andrea Registered

Anybody else with the same issue? I felt the same last time i tried.. FFB much ligther then before.. with Oculus dk2.

20. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I will try to remember to do that once I get the PC built, yes (everything but the video card is here--my six year old GTX 580 will have to do until I decide on exactly which 1080 Ti). In the meantime, and the reason I posted the link to that MSI card review--it uses the same CPU I will--the new specs for my build are: i7-7700K, Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO water cooler, MSI Z270 XGaming Titanium motherboard. Those three SHOULD see the CPU running at about 5Ghz, as with the test system in that video card review...and that's why those review numbers are relevant, I think. In Battlefield 1, for example, that card returned a pretty usable 60-75 FPS @ high-detail 4K, and since the Pimax 4K I will be driving it with is limited to 60 FPS anyway, it seems a good fit.

That said, I'm still a big believer in projection for racing, and there are a couple of new 4K models arriving soon from Optoma (UHD 60/UHD 65) that should just rock. I'm watching those closely too....

sherpa25 likes this.