[REL] Toronto 2017

Discussion in 'Locations' started by iDTDoug, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I just checked and saw the seam. I couldn't really tell if I could see through the road though, maybe just a white line on the texture?

2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

When checking the track I noticed this aswell. There are also noticable issues with your alpha objects, as they have visible edges on their upper part. You can fix this by filling the lower part of the alpha channel where the white part "hits the ground" with black. A line of black pixel should be enough.

3. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

if you're referring to the tires, i need to move them down, some are floating.

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am talking about those thin lines marked in the images. You need to fill the lower white pixels of the alpha with black: Alpha_Issues.PNG Alpha_Issues_2.PNG
    Btw, you can set those video wall images as emissive textures so that they are lit up at night. Looks quite cool ;) Emissive.PNG

iDTDoug likes this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That isn't a shining example of quality as it looks better in resized images than it does in actual gameplay, although yes, that is a better overall look than the available CART tracks (rF1 or 2) since the source material is superior.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Looks good enough in game to me

8. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Well, i'm just an old modder trying to get by, I do what I can. Always learning and trying to play catchup with the latest stuff. I don't do this for $ or fame, I enjoy the creative process. Once in a while it gets me somewhere. Thanks for all the feedback, even if it is harsh.

9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You are completely forgetting that the Norisring by Com8 was done in the prime rF1 days by someone, who works for Sector3 now, so a very talented guy and you can't expect everyone to have the same skill level. The iDT tracks are much older afaik, so to get to the same quality, you would have to make them from scratch wich is asking alot. What can be achieved though, is to get the basics right, with proper matieral settings, proper textures and to be perfectly functional. I am glad that Doug is investing some time and taking the feedback. And at the end of the day, nobody is stoping you to have a go at it aswell. ;)

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'm having great fun with this track, keep up the good work ;)

11. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

The line in between materials is a material issue. Remnants of road lines. Fixed. Will reverse the pit order again so 1 spot is up front. Fixing alpha lines thanks to hitm4k3r.

12. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

The wall issue has me mystified. They look normal in max so i'm not sure what to fix.

Attached Files:

13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Maybe there are some verts you can weld?

14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Spoken like a true modder ;-). Hunh?

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

If its not the verts check your material is one sided. Could be 2 sided material and the black is a reversed face.

16. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

no, not 2 sided. I'll just replace them with normal ones.

hitm4k3r likes this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Nice to see that you are fixing the walls. One thing you should take into consideration for further visual improvements is to add shadow casters to objects that are near to the track, like bigger trees, walls and big buildings. Currently there are allmost no shadow casters wich makes your track alot more flat looking than it needs to be. It's a bit problematic with the walls, as the shadows are simply a big block when you set them to solid, but it is better than no shadows at all. Also make sure to compare solid vs. texture based shadows for different objects like the SF-Tower.

Tower_ShadowCaster_Solid.PNG Tower_ShadowCaster_Texture.PNG Tree_ShadowCaster.PNG

Adrianstealth, Guimengo and iDTDoug like this.
  18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

And if possible modify the flat trackside textures like grass, that are heavily repeating patterns. I'm sure you can take something from ISI/S397 like Mores, LRP, AMP. The hard angles will never go away since this is old but improved textures with fixed saturation - no sunburn -, depth, and the tips from hitm4k3r, will help mask away the age a bit. And road resolution.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for deleloping this track Doug

the visual track surface is unlike the standard variety as the quality tracks from isi/397

be great if you could use the texture ( or similar ) to one of theirs

also the colour curbs etc should really have some dirt on them or faded so they oook used
    ( see Nola etc )

big thanks

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think with a bit of work you can get the track to an acceptable level considering it's age. Once the basics are fixed I would start replacing the card board buildings with 3D buildings, atleast the ones that are in immediate range and replace the phototextures with your own creations and add a bit more depth to the scene without adding huge amounts of polys. The times for such card board buildings are over and considering that those skysrapers are more or less blocks it shouldn't get too heavy. The stadium is actually a pretty good start and gives you an idea how the rest of the more prominent buildings should look like. With a bit of ambient occlusion and properly setup shadow casters and tweaked render distances for shadows it should look pretty decent at the end. Your stadium doesn't cast shadows atm either btw. ;)

Chris Lesperance and Guimengo like this.