[REL] Toronto 2017

Discussion in 'Locations' started by iDTDoug, Jun 6, 2017.

1. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

This is the same track that will be used in the Honda Expo tent by SimExperience at the race, minus the fake tires (they make their version idiot-proof so nobody gets stuck in the tire barriers) . DX11 version on steam will be released before the actual race. I'll try and get dx9 version done as well. There are AIW issues due to the finish line no longer intersecting pit lane, and cars are not following my garage path for some reason so I may be to redo the aiw from scratch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Hi Doug, is there any chance of at least texture color tweaks all around?

hitm4k3r likes this.
  3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I can only agree. Would be nice to improve the saturation and brightness of the textures to work better under HDR. Especialy the grass/trees and the white walls come to my mind. :)

4. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

those trees and the grass have already been fixed, they are older photos.

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I was somewhat working on the track, and made some buildings, you can have them if you want. I think they're textured, and the windmill is animated.
    [​IMG]

6. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Hey Doug, Hope this turns out great. iDT's work over the past years in Sim racing has been awesome. The tracks and the cars. I noticed on Facebook you are currently converting the 2003 Champcar season. I'm sure many of us would be interested in the progress of such a mod. Would you ever think of creating a thread detailing your progress? If not thats cool Just wondering :)

7. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Chris from iDT is heading that project, he will start a thread soon. We have a beta and I sent him new albedo'd skins for it. It is driveable but we are borrowing physics form a different mod and want to refine them. Thanks for the offer Coutie, My wind generator does spin already but your expo center looks nicer. I'll have to look at the poly count to see if its doable. I've already had to peice the track from multiple files and delete the main archway from my 3dmax file because 32bit max won't save a file that big. You can send me an email (doug@idtsimulations.com) with a google drive or other link if you can.

8. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

ok, first problem, maybe it's already known, but why can't I see waypoints in the AIW editor under steam dx11? Same AIW file works fine in dx9 mode though. By "works fine" I mean i can see the waypoints. For some reason, AI cars are not following my garage path and crash into the last two pit walls. And yes, thats the 05/06 mod in dx11.

Attached Files:

9. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Yup as Doug said, it is still a WIP. It is the 2005-2006 season though. There isn't a quality Reynard to go with the Lola for the early 2000s :) I'll get a thread up soon with where I'm at with it, and what would need to be done, I don't want to hijack Doug's thread :)

@iDTDoug I did get the skins, just haven't gotten them in game yet :) Thanks again!

Shamrock likes this.
  10. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Thanks for the info you and Doug have provided. Really looking forward to these projects. Wish you both the best of luck :)

11. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Fixed the AIW issue. Should have a pre-release uploaded this weekend. Then bug fixes.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Fantastic!! Glad someone wanted an updated "official" version of this tricky track.

Just out of curiosity, how much (%) less grip do the concrete sections have compared to the asphalt?

13. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I think it uses the standard settings for concrete patches. It is bumpy as in real life. There's a few spots near the big honda bridge that are uneven and I need to track down the exact spots in the mesh that need fixing but i'll release it as beta anyway for now and update it. I do not model street circuits as one long track mesh because that's not how they were built in real life. Streets are paved one at a time and unevenly and you should feel that when you transition. I'm also removing the skybox gmt since it left a seam as does the current top of the prince's gates graphic, which i'll look to fix too. I'll get some skyline images to add as backdrop.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. Matt21

Matt21 Registered

look promissing Doug
    wish you the best for the Honda Expo tent by SimExperience

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Beta is up on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=944297174

Known issues: There's a spot on the track mesh just before the big honda bridge that you get a white flash from, i'm still looking to find it and fix it in the mesh.
    Some alpha trees being see though.
    CN tower is a little big for my taste, I may reduce it.
    AI needs to learn the track behavior, don't judge them on the first few runs.
    You may see edges on some maps, i'd like to know which ones and what your settings are. Some are chroma color masked only, some are alpha only. As this DX11 keeps evolving, your Anit-aliasing settings will show more or less effects on this. please be specific when reporting a glitch, especially what (if any) post effects settings you are on.
    Thanks to SimExperience for allowing the pre-race release, they want as much feedback to help make it better as possible.
    manual file (package folder): phototiming.com/idt/rFactor2/Locations/tor17_dx11_pub.rfcmp

Also, I am aware that the pit speed limit in real life (like 25mph) is ridiculously slow for sim racing so I made it higher for this version. Also I noticed AI having a hard time re-entering the garage area so I may make those first 3 pit walls non-collidable.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Great effort Doug, we'll give it a run!

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the track, just one small note:

The AI don't learn "on the fly" in RF2 unless you set it up so in the player.JSON which many users don't know or use, so they won't get better behaviour over the course of a run. What you could be seeing is the AI getting better once the RealRoad Rubber goes down, as their lap times will improve :)

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I haven't tested in rF2 but I can assure that in rF1 they improved laptimes after driving many laps. There was no realroad then, so it is clear that some type of learning system was activated on default. Everytime you started the same combo that learning was reset.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There is no learning on by default in RF2, you are mistaken. There are 3 types of learning you can do yourself by changing the setting in the player.JSON file and another way in Dev Mode IIRC, any improvement in lap times is down to RealRoad Rubber and nothing else if you have no learning enabled.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I said that I can't assure in rF2. Therefore I cannot be mistaken because I didn't affirm it.

However in rFactor 1 (published in 2005) the AI improved laptimes. No real road then and without activating the only learning method available then.