AMD Ryzen tests/benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by whatdahello, Mar 5, 2017.

1. whatdahello

whatdahello Registered

If somebody bought the new platform, it would be nice to see real-life benchmarks in rF2.

My main question would be, if the BIOS-fiasco does affect rFactor2 as well as other games, or not?
    Also, it would be nice to see if it only performs as an Intel i5 equivalent, or maybe higher.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

"With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen excel at next generation gaming experiences as well.”

Unlikely to be worth buying a Ryzen for rF2 as long as the game only utilizes 2 cores. Single-core performance is still better on i5's.

3. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

Whole architecture is new so there are lot's of things still to iron out for Ryzen software wise. What I can say is that I am really impressed with the CPU. It performed really well in all single and multicore benchmarks, so the architecture is solid unlike the Bulldozers, where shared decoders hampered the single core performance badly. Only thing where Ryzen seemed to be lacking towards similarly priced or even cheaper Intel alternatives was gaming and I'm quite positive that some UEFI and microcode level upgrades to tackle some memory latency issues will bring performance up. Even more, I believe Windows 10 scheduler is messing up the performance perhaps more significantly and it too should be updated in the near future. Strangely, overclocker named TheStilt had around 20% improved results using Windows 7 (which won't even get official Ryzen support!) with Ryzen. All that really shows that OS and drivers aren't just in their prime yet.

Like I said, there is really nothing that hints that there are some problems with the hardware. And to be honest, those performance differences are really non existent if you play games on higher resolutions and settings and become GPU limited like most gamers are. It just means that it is just not worth purchasing Ryzen for gaming over cheaper Intel alternatives at the moment.

I have now been using 3930K@4.5GHz for around 5 years and although there probably is very little benefit for me to upgrade, I'm most likely going to switch to Ryzen 7 by the summer just for the giggles. It is a really good processor especially if you are doing something CPU taxing with it and it sure isn't a bad processor for gaming, even now. And if my current processor has been tremendously future-proof purchase back in the day, I believe Ryzen is too. I think it is at least more future-prood than some 4c/8t CPU, although nobody knows how quickly if ever most games will utulize more than a 4 HT cores.

Wholly another thing is how well if any rF2 will benefit from CPU upgrades all together. Like stonec said, it is not the most modern engine out there... It of course also depends on where you are comparing it.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I pretty much expect no devs will take advantage of it ...especially if I purchased one, I'm steering towards the i7 7700k more at the moment
    but in no rush, maybe after the next price drop I'll jump in

nice there's some competition for intel ( I do hope the Ryzen gets good support ) , cpu's have not moved forward at the same rate as gpu's imo, this is why I'm still on a i7 2600k -it runs rock solid at 4.8ghz on water , I'm sure it will go over 5ghz if I tried

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Big dev houses may improve their code for Ryzen, but indie devs like S397, not sure how high that is in priority. The first step would be to make rF2 physics multi-threaded, now rF2 runs graphics etc. on 1 thread and physics on 1. If you have more threads available they are also somewhat used, but it's mostly by GPU drivers offloading tasks to CPU I think. The single-threaded physics is why rF2 sometimes falls out of realtime with AMD FX CPU's when you add lots of AI, but the improved single-core performance with Ryzen should mostly eliminate that issue.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

There is a couple of bugs with Ryzen. One is the Windows scheduler is not handling CCX modules properly (easy software fix), the other is Windows is confused when you have Windows on "balanced" power profile. Put it to "performance". AMD has already sent microcode for BIOS to Mobo mfg. And also has notified Microsoft to patch it. Teething pains happens with all new CPU/mobo combos.

7. Wesley

Wesley Registered

Okay here it comes :)
    Recently i upgraded my pc to : Ryzen 1600 with a gtx 1070 and i had nothing but fps drops from 400+ to 22fps. i tried all the regular thing ppl would try like lowering my graphics settings, playing around in nvidia control panel and nvidia inspector, disable power saving stuff in my bios and in the control panel but without any result. sometimes the game was playable but the experience was not what i expected. today i decided to give it one more go and finaly i found out what te problem was.. atleast for me! It seems like rf2 doesnt like multithreading.. atleast not on my pc. As i said my frames where all over the place even my ffb was lagging but now it runs butter smooth, always over 170fps on all the settings maxed out, there might be an occasional drop little under 170 fps on a multiplayer race start with 22 cars or more but i havent noticed any lag or problem so far! When i get the chance later this week i will do a benchmark for u guys and post it in this thread. Cheer from a finaly very happy ryzen user :p

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You mean hyperthreading? There was some posts in AMD forums saying turning it off is better for a few games some time ago indeed.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Sadly so.

10. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I'm running a Ryzen 1800X with 980TI windows 10 and never had any problems. came from an I7 4770k and couldn't say there was any performance drops or issues.
    There was a power plan in windows which reportedly caused an issues if you weren't running "high performance" power mode.

There has been quiet a few AGESA update with Beta Bios from motherboard manufacturers. As well as some chipset drivers.

Another thing to take note of is your ram speed. apparently these chips run better with higher ram. I am running 16GB 3000mz.

Did you reinstall windows when you built new machine?

Addtionally was the performance drop related to running DX9 or switching to DX11?

11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I have an i7 4770k and am looking to update my pac towards the end of the year. Did you notice much improvement with the ryzen?

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

14. Wesley

Wesley Registered

yes i mean hyperthreading, its called simulteneous multithreading in the bios. after i tunred that off rfactor isw smooth as hell :)

15. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Single thread performance is king with sims,and that won't change,the devs can't program for something with hardware that doesn't allow proper multi core usage,staying in sync is the biggest issue,so far no one has come up with a way to do this without negative influence on low latency applications.
    Cpus haven't progressed much of at all over the last 5-years,it's still all about clock speed.
    Now if there was a way to multiple tiny cpus like in gpus but for cpus,then yes I could see multicore/multi thread becoming prominent,but that's not the cae

stonec likes this.
  16. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Would you mind doing ttool test?

17. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hey Mate,

I don't think there was much an improvement to be honest if any. I bought the CPU at the time DX11 was coming so comparisons became a bit hard, then i replaced my 970 with a 980TI.

IPC from I7 4770k to R1800X is very similar for single threaded, but multi threaded stuff is double if not more in synthetic benchmarks.
    it all depends on the games you run and if you do modelling etc. Alot of old single threaded titles or titles that don't utilize extra cores you are probably better with an Intel say a i7 7700k. When it comes to new modern games like F1 2016, battlefield 1 etc. then the different between AMD and Intel is minor in either Favour. With the r1800x still better for workload tasks.

Personally i didn't need to upgrade i just enjoy trying new technology at times. but as stated you may get a boost in high threaded stuff. which is a small difference.

My brother runs a I7 6700k GTX1080 and compared to my system in RF2 he probably gets 10-15fps. so id say its more video card really in that instance.

going from your CPU i7 4770k you probably will get an extra 5 FPS , There is really bugger all difference with intel CPU in the last 3-4years.

Cheers.
    Daniel

18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi Daniel, thanks for the detailed reply. I have always preferred intel and it sounds like amd are still a bit behind in cpu performance. I updated from 2 x gtx 780 to a single gigabyte gtx 1070 about 8 months ago and noticed a significant performance increase.
    Next on my list will be a new cpu, mobo and ram but not till the end of the year. I like the price and performance of the 7700k from what I have read. Was thinking of waiting for coffee lake as there is meant to be a significant performance increase with that. I must admit I do.t understand the nerdy stuff about these things though. I haven't seen anything yet that shows a single core performance increase in GHz yet compared to the 7700k but I presume there is a lot more to it than just that.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

20. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

No worries mate, yeah intel still ahead for certain games. but when games are optimized for both you probably wont notice the difference.

Id wait for coffee lake and see as your CPU still keep you going.

F1Aussie likes this.