980 ti triple screen.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Week, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Week

Week Registered

A 980 ti is enough to move rfactor2 with everything to maximum with triple monitor at 60 fps? In conditions of rain and night?
    I am thinking of changing my old 290 for a 980 ti and I have doubts.

2. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Hard to say. Rain/Night is really tough on the GPU... My 970 dips quite a bit in those situations on triple screen. Not sure how much more the 980ti would provide.

3. lamck

lamck Registered

I had a short moment with single 980ti with triple 21:9 (2560*1080) at DX9 with all max and multi-view. I can't recall the exact fps maybe around 60-70 (excluding stalling at pit, about 30 fps). However the graphic was not smooth and felt not very comfortable.

About a month later, I went with 980ti SLI and it ran a lot smoother and the fps about 50-80. If you run triple 1080p, it may be a bit better. For DX11, I don't think single 980ti can run at max PP.

4. Louis

Louis Registered

depending on the track, but overall experience is very nice and smooth at max settings, besides shadow, and low PP or none, which is great too

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I run my 1070 with all maxed, except shadows on high and reflections on low.. (pp ultra) and get a steady 50-60fps on the hardest tracks.. (at 5760x1080).

Given the 80 series has the extra bandwidth, and the 980 is very close, just slightly behind the benchmarks of a 1070, it should be fine.

6. albert39

albert39 Registered

I have a gtx 980ti. 3 screens (23") with total resolution 5760x1080 and multi view.
    You can not put all to maximum.
    For example in silverstone with 13 ai you will run at least 50fps minimum with pp at low and most in maximum but not all.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. Emery

Emery Registered

Agree with albert39. You will have to compromise on some settings, usually knocking AA back and/or shadows. Some tracks are significantly more fps intensive, too, like VLM Sebring, and even with a GTX 1080 you'll take a framerate hit.

As far as DX11 quality goes, IMHO, there is no reason to race with the setting above Medium as the effects are camera-oriented rather than eye-oriented and thus only of value in replays.

Louis likes this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

I should said depending on track, time of the day, weather conditions, cpu processor, ram available, ram speed,... :D

9. Louis

Louis Registered

Err, i´m sorry, i gave wrong information. Thats the actual settings that im getting a good fps counting:
    my bad :oops:

Attached Files:

10. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Do the god rays (Sunlight through trees at dawn/dusk) work at lower PP ? I hought these were only at the high settings? I will have to check :)

11. Radar

Radar Registered

My 980ti at max settings have no problems on 3x screens. Not sure of the PC specs you guys have so maybe my PC is helping the cause..

That being a 6 core i7, 32 Gb Ram.

12. Louis

Louis Registered

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

1080Ti has memory interface GDDR5X , 980Ti has GDDR5 memory interface. GDDR5X is based on the GDDR5 standard and primarily doubles the prefetch of the standard while preserving most of the command protocols of GDDR5. Which means that the bandwidth has been doubled. GDDR5X is a completely new technology.

vegaguy5555 and Louis like this.
  14. softslider

softslider Registered

I have triple monitors(60hz) and purchased 1080ti having same reason as OP's. But in rF2, I can't have stable 60fps and tearing also exists whereas AC shows 200 fps in average. Although in AC, some tearing exists. In DX11, rF2 shows a little better result. But not that much. This result is only for single play. Further optimization required in RF2.

15. spaldinio

spaldinio Registered

As other's say, depends on track/car mods, weather and day/night, but I can't get anywhere near max settings. I can get semi-satisfactory results on stock dx11 ready tracks with my 3770k and gtx1070 with multiview on, PP on low, opponents (20-24) detail high, own detail high, track detail medium, shadows high/quality, no track/env reflections, AA=4 (haven't really noticed a huge diff AA 3-5) and x2 texture filtering and . Night kills certain tracks, e.g. Toban but weather is def improved in last few updates. Mods with heavy poly counts and textures (like Enduracers) hit harder. Multiview off allows me to max out everything, but kinda defeats purpose of triple screens. I find I have to tweak settings from race to race (mostly offline).

What I don't get is the disparity between guys with similar system specs, e.g. how is @Drathuu making such gains compared to me, even allowing a more powerful CPU, more memory, etc?

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

This may be solution to your problem: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/stuttering-while-maxfps-60.56055/#post-898429

softslider likes this.
  17. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

LLet me know track, time of day, weather and ill replicate exactly and advise.. (i did sanddown tonight with 22 in mplayer and was getting 45-60 Dependant on cars on screen - however at start i dropped to 38 for launch, but went back 45+ In first 10 secs

18. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I run triples on a different video card, but I find the hit from running multiview to be a showstopper...costing nearly 30 FPS itself. Then it becomes a matter of deciding whether the stretched images on the left and right monitors are worth the price. Last night I decided I'd rather have the FPS back and I turned off multiview and turned up the graphics features.

Louis likes this.
  19. Louis

Louis Registered

I forgot about multiview. Always on here and like boothjoe said, it has great impact in fps performance. Turn this feature off isn´t an option for me (i like)

20. Week

Week Registered

I already have my Asus 980 ti Strix and I can say that I can definitely NOT with rfactor2 with everything to the maximum, not at all. In central daylight conditions, works well, but in early hours / sunsets or rainy conditions, many graphical adjustments have to be sacrificed to maintain the 60 fps (and that's not multiview enabled).

The game still needs tons of optimization. Let's not forget that we talked about a game that came out in its "final" version in March 2013 ... A high-end graphics of the year 2015 should move it easily under any situation.

PS: Sorry for my English.

Andregee, Louis and F1Aussie like this.