Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

When using supersampling do I need to edit my settings in the Oculus debug tool? Or should I do it in the Steam VR settings? Or both?

Currently I do both, but really not sure what's optimal here.

And is it right that the Oculus debug tool doesn't save the settings after a restart of the computer?

2. EricW

EricW Registered

I only use the supersampling in SteamVR (Beta version), seems to work fine.
    The debug tool by Oculus has to be set and started up front, each time AFAIK.

The1Dijk likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's whether you want the HMD image on your monitor or not, with it off (HMD only) you just get the RF2 logo on monitor screen instead.

GaetanL likes this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I no longer use the debug tool but the Oculus Tray Tool instead, I have the same setting in that and SteamVR.

5. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

Does this do anything for performance?

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Maybe helps lower spec PCs but I've read it doesn't make a huge difference, maybe 1-2 fps. Try it and see:)

7. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Massive improvement! thanks a lot.
    By the way, i was having trobule making SC shake.. i had to change from rfactor2.exe to launcher.exe and that did it.

8. clem73

clem73 Registered

Hello,
    I have a problem with Anti Aliasing in VR. Only none or level 5 work. But I need level 3 or 4 to have correct framerate. (I am on oculus dk2 and 980ti, but a man with CV1 has the same problem).
    Anybody have the same problem or know a solution ?
    Thanks

Adrianstealth likes this.
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

If your in nvidia gpu
    Use those settings as in post 1
    ( in your nvidia gpu control panel)

I use AA x1 (no multi or super)
    & it looks fine

10. Balles

Balles Registered

@clem73 : I had the same problem because of the french language in settings. It seems there is a problem with the language and AA. If I set english language I can use all AA. Maybe it's the same for you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  11. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Is it me or the steering wheels (at least in formula cars) are ridiculously large? And that includes the FR and Formula ISI 2012 cars. I put my eyes really close to the edges and they are a lot bigger than my own wheel, and they are not supposed to be

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

try the BT20 , it's all bigger than it should be

13. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Is anyone running a DK2 on AMD crimson drivers?
    I have a support ticket with AMD with the issue that any of the Crimson drivers cause the Headset light to stay orange and the Oculus software reports HMD connected but HDMI not connected and the light stays orange
    If I rollback to the Windows 10 driver without any of the Crimson settings or profile software it works perfectly.
    Just interested if it's an isolated problem or if other people are having issues with newer drivers.

14. clem73

clem73 Registered

Yes, this is it ! Thanks

15. Tango

Tango Registered

I have an occasional glitch with oculus home not picking up headset after pc being asleep, i disable my 1080 in device manager then re-enable it and everything is fine. Takes 30 secs and with me being an intel i7 user the cpu onboard gfx kicks in so i dont end up with a black screen.
    Tango

16. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Not sure where to post this, but I suppose it could be a "tip" (or tip-off):

Next generation VR displays from Samsung revealed last week: http://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-vr-display-nearly-3-5x-pixels-rift-vive/

One of our league forum members was joking that it would see the light of day at the same time we get the "1180 GTX twin-pack" [-grin-] but thinking it through a bit more what it would need to drive it would be a GPU that will power about 2.25m pixels @90Hz (x4). Don't we pretty much have that now? Thoughts (and maybe this deserves a new thread)?

CS

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

At my current settings I run approx 4k resolution due to pixel super sample of 1.6

So exact same settings (or as close as) running into a headset with this new display would be brill

( 1080ti overclocked )

mike.m likes this.
  18. mike.m

mike.m Registered

As Adrian said some current gen GPUs would already be able to run that resolution, but there is so much more coming, like SMP, eye tracking, foveated rendering, all those things would make it possible for a much wider range of current gen GPUs to handle the load.

19. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I'm not sure how Oculus SS works. Is that on top of the base multiplier? I know both the Vive and Rift render at 1.4X the resolution as their base. So with the Vive, 1.0 is really still 1.4X. And 1.6X would be 2160 X 1200 X 1.4 X 1.6 = 4838 X 2688. If that's what you're running, it's quite a bit higher than 4K. Which goes back to it really not being that big of an issue. Just going to allow us to see those pixels we're already rendering.

Valve is changing the way the multiplier values work in the latest beta, but that's the math under the old system.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  20. mike.m

mike.m Registered

I don't know about the Vive, but I don't think this is true for the Rift. Do you have any source for this?