Hosting and Joining at the same PC

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Damian Baldi, May 5, 2017.

1. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I used to run a server in my computer using the icon on the launcher, and then I could join the server through the multiplier to race with some friends. Now is the first time I try with the new build with steam. My friends can see the server and join it, but I can't see it.

rer8 likes this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm struggling too
    4hrs earlier & still doesn't work )-:

rer8 likes this.
  3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Any solution yet ?
    i've done this since rF1 , and from the beginning with rF2, now I can't get it to work ;-( I cant get my server to show ..It says its up like it is working but it never shows in the list anymore ..

4. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

I struggled with this as well yesterday. Despite having all above ports open, I only managed to see my server listed once before it disappeared again...

Also Steam didn't find it amusing when I launched the dedicated and the game via command line, unless I did it in a specific order.

First launch the dedicated from the rFactor2 (not the bin) folder. Then launch the game.
    Code:
    "bin64\rFactor Dedicated.exe"
    "bin64\rFactor.exe" +connect IP:port +email=<email> +pass=<password> +multiplayer
    Connecting to localhost instead of my computer's IP didn't work by the way. It has to be the computer's local IP...

I'm writing this from the top of my head, hope I got it right ;). But this worked for me. Other ways, such as launching the game via Steam or command line, while the dedicated was already launched via Steam did not work for me.

Before Steam I was running the dedicated in a VM, but I haven't tried this yet. Can you install the dedicated without the need to use Steam (or the full Steam install which is quite large)? And does it work logging into Steam on two separate machines with both running rFactor simulatenously?

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

If the server is available online but you cannot see it on your computer, check your firewall rules first, then check your security program.
    Not knowing your OS or security software, this is the best I can offer.

6. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

you do have the steam plugin enabled I take it in options plugins ?

7. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thanks for that steam info ! now my game shows up in the matchmaker list but I cant join . so I'm doing something wrong :eek: lol .. from the message it seems my servers not talking back .. server pic 1.jpg server pic 2.jpg

8. kimbo

kimbo Registered

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thanks for that kimbo !

However I was already able to host /play so my loopback is on already ..
    I think my issue is my router & port forwarding settings ..

My router had an update and ever since ive had the issue ..

Im not network savvy but managed to get it to work with rf1 & rF2 but now I think I have reached my limit lol :confused:

kimbo likes this.
  10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I can confirm I have the same issue, I asked in the Discord chat but no solutions helped me to get it to show in the game's Multiplayer window.

I had the same issue randomly with my previous router (same brand, older model), but about 50% of the time it did show up for some reason.

Others can join my server fine from the Multiplayer list on their side, but eventually I got fed up and just used the connection string command and saved the shortcut, because having spent 2 evenings to solve it, was enough for me. And no, it isn't ports, because I forwarded every port I came across regarding this issue, and I can connect via a command, and others join normally without a command.

It's definitely game/Steam/Matchmaker related, but sometimes an awkward workaround solves an issue somewhat, and is a lot less frustrating than hoping for an answer.

Also, if the devs knew what the reason was, they would have said so by now.

11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You can use CurrPots to check which ports are open and which ports dedicated server is using: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Remember to start dedicated server when you are using CurrPorts :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

It could also be that if you have a newer model of router that it does not support NAT Loopback, I recently moved to fibre here at home with a new modem, and cannot see my server if I'm using the default ports (I can see it in the LAN section if I use port 27013), and after some investigating I discovered that it does not support NAT Loopback (apparently the IT industry see it as a bit of a security risk).

I could see the server in the world.rfactor.net site so I know it can bee seen by the outside world. To join locally I also use the + connect shortcut.
    world.rfactor.net site => https://world.rfactor.net/server-list

RealGT and SPASKIS like this.
  13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I think you're right about this. In that case, I don't blame the devs as it's out of their hands. Also probably explains why I can only join my Teamspeak server via local IP (127.0.0.1) and not via public IP, but others can.

I know it's visible to the world, though, as everyone else (4 people) can join via the Multiplayer list in the launcher, so that part was never in doubt.

14. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

@Goanna thanks to your reply, I did a little digging on my own router. I couldn't find that setting you specified, but I looked a little deeper into the port forwarding settings.

I had it set like this:
    upload_2017-6-1_18-17-58.png

I changed every port to this on WAN Interface, and it worked:
    upload_2017-6-1_18-19-5.png

I hope this helps somebody else out, and it's thanks to Goanna, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered to dig any further.

Jake Loewenstein and Goanna like this.
  15. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Well now my server is NOT showing up in matchmaker anymore ...

IDK wtf I'm doing lol

so I wiped all entry's of rf2 from my port forwarding and re added them with the ports listed above

I tried with every combo then re did it exactly as before where I could at least see my server in the list but no joy ;-(
    here what I have now (keep in mind I have tried a lot of combos and yesterday with this settings in router I at least could see my server in matchmaker but could not join ,today nothing )

router pic 2.jpg

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Does you CurrPorts look like this if you scroll to the right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jake Loewenstein likes this.
  17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    kro388th likes this.
  18. kro388th

kro388th Registered

HI , here is what I have :
    Desktop 06.02.2017 - 11.03.40.02.jpg Desktop 06.02.2017 - 11.14.52.04.jpg