Best F1 driver current grid

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by Louis, May 30, 2017.

?

Best f1 driver

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Alonso

4. Verstappen

5. Ricciardo

6. Hulkenberg

7. Raikkonen

8. Bottas

9. Perez

10. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Louis

Louis Registered

Your opinion

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

such a hard call with the cars being different

3. Louis

Louis Registered

Well, i voted for Alonso. I always get between him and Hamilton but after his performance in Indy500... Not only an excellent driver but brave (and still "hungry" for challenges after so many f1 years)

noyasystem and Adrianstealth like this.
  4. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I vote for Vettel currently. and echo that its hard to judge when cars evolve.

Alonso is a close second, but hard to judge his performance given the Mclaren isn't competitive enough. but some of his drives in Ferrari were great. Highly rate him and would like to see him in a winning car to see if can still control a race.

As of this season its Vettel, Vettel in a race winning car is almost unbeatable when everything falls in order. i feel the struggles he had at end of redbull and early Ferrari days. grew him as a driver.

I couldn't rate Hamilton higher then those two, he has had it too easy and when things go wrong for Hamilton he goes into panic mode.
    He had a great car for last 3 seasons and should have won every race or 1-2. there has been no car in history that has been as consistently dominant over 3 years.

My 2 cents :)

5. Louis

Louis Registered

Thats my big step back with Hamilton. He already started to say in press that Vettel is number 1 driver of Ferrari... Isn´t obvious like he is n1 of Mercedes? Why calling this now?
    But i think Vettel is worst :D
    edit: btw, Alonso (also cry baby) gives his heart in every race with a crap mclaren. (Im really impressed with him)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. bwana

bwana Registered

Riciardo proved that Vettel is only the best in a winning car when they teamed up for RBR. Riciardos drive at Hokenhiem and his passing moves on Alonzo showed his worth as in the top 3 drivers .

F1Aussie likes this.
  7. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

You could use that argument with Hamilton and button in mclaren.
    Some drivers have off seasons. People seem to forget that vettel had horrid car problems most of the time he was paired with Riccardo. And simply was out of it, dejected.needed the reality too of having a shit car to bring home down to earth again. Take nothing away for Dan though, he drove fanastic that season. But I can't put Dan in top 3 yet, considering Max is matching him if not exceeding him this year. Another fantastic seasons battle between the too. One strongest lineups on the grid

8. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Although a difficult question it will provide some great debate. Thought about this for a while, for me, in terms or raw speed, its either Hamilton or Vettel, though if you ask me who is the most complete driver on the grid then my answer has to be Alonso. Maybe not the fastest over one lap (He's admitted this himself) but he has unerring consistency and the ability to out-perform the car on a consistent basis. His performance over the course of the '12 season still ranks as one of the most impressive things I've seen while watching F1. That car shouldn't have been in contention for the world championship going into the last race.

9. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Just give a competitive car to Verstappen...

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

How can a driver that didn't even make Q3 with a Mercedes can be called the greatest? He has talent but doesn't seem to understand whats going on with the car. He also lost last year's champ against Nico something. Not clearly beating your own teammate every season.

11. jeffers

jeffers Registered

All swings and roundabouts. Alonso was beaten by Hamilton in '07 (though yes, they did finish on the same points total), Vettel got beaten by Ricciardo in '14, Senna - perceived as the GOAT - lost a championship to Prost in '89. All of these driver's are closely matched, hence why they are the best in the world, so it's not inconceivable to imagine that they can be beaten by their teammate from time to time, the key is that this is a ,rarity, rather than the norm.

Granted, Hamilton did have a bad weekend by his own standards, though he did have the pace to get through to Q3 despite going the wrong way setup-wise. On his penultimate Q2 lap he was on course for the top 10 but opted to back out, as he was closing in on Vandoorne, while on his final lap he was again up on the delta before he had to back out due to Vandoorne's crash. His major error was that he didn't get his banker lap in ASAP, as teams would've factored in the probability of someone crashing and bringing out yellow flags. The longer he failed to get a representative time in the more he opened himself up to suffering the fate that he did. And by the way, I'm no Hamilton fan, objectivity was developed during a journalism degree lol.

Louis likes this.
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I won't enter details but 2007 cannot be considered a fair fight. That championship was literally stolen to Alonso who got to get a chance in the last race due to the stupid errors commited by HAM who clearly lost a title. Almost in the same way as in his first champ were he could have lost it against superchampion Felipe Massa.

When has Hamilton impressed with an inferior car? He is a good qualifier that completely lacks any sense of strategy and doesn't help at all improving a car he doesn't really understand. Last year we could see he didn't know how to properly calibrate clutch when manual starts were obliged.

He is now 25 points away from Vettel and if it wasn't for team orders with Bottas he would be further even. He is clearly a good driver but not closely in the top three IMO.

13. Louis

Louis Registered

Just add something: Prost is to me one of the best drivers ever along Senna. As a brazilian, is hard to me judge fairly between him and Senna. But Prost don´r really knows how to drive in wet conditions, so... :D

14. Louis

Louis Registered

I got hyped with Verstappen also, but his performance at qualifys suck a lot. I wonder if part of his sucess it is because he is really audacious and could rely on stweards not punishing him

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

There is too much hype around Verstappen, he is still young imo and the hype is what kills him and sets bar too high. but if he continues to grow and develope he can indeed become one of the greats. he's holding his own well against Dan. he just needs to learn not to overdrive the car.

im a bit with @SPASKIS Hamilton isn't doing so well getting his head around the tyres, and imo lacks the intelligents (strategically) of great drivers like prost Shumacher etc. i hope Bottas beats him this year. however drivers do have bad swings in performance.

16. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

Gonna go Bottas. Fast coming to grips with a different team (albeit a very good team). Did tremendously well with Williams in average machinery. Alonso is also brilliant, but his mojo has been killed off a little with McLaren...

17. jeffers

jeffers Registered

It's understandable that there is so much hype around Verstappen, he's undoubtedly good and a potential world champion, but so much media attention has been garnished his way. The one who has really impressed me is Carlos Sainz, and I hope that if Kimi does decide to call it day at the end of the season then Ferrari come calling. The boy needs a race-winning car, no doubt.

Hamilton is probably unrivalled when it comes to raw speed, though not as astute as others. Remember Baku last year? Him and Rosberg had he exact same issue with their cars. Although there was that stupid rule in place at the time where drivers couldn't talk to their engineer's, Rosberg figured out the issue, while Hamilton couldn't. At the minute he appears unable to drive around these issues, thus affecting his mindset.

What impressed so many people in the Indycar paddock was how Alonso was able to divulge so much info in such a short space of time. Make no mistake, he was learning every lap, and he looked comfortable. Is there anyone else on the F1 grid that could've gone and represented F1 so well? The only one that immediately springs to mind is Vettel, his brain works in a similar way.

Ozzy and Louis like this.
  18. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Prost was like a computer at the wheel, perhaps the reason why he was called the professor. But yes, you are right, when it came to the rain he didn't wanna know!

Louis likes this.
  19. Louis

Louis Registered

Impressed by Ricciardo´s rating. Close to Hamilton and above Vettel :eek:

bwana and F1Aussie like this.
  20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Mercedes team has 160 mm longer wheelbase than red`s, RedBull, etc. which makes 2017 car difficult to drive in tracks like Sohci, Monaco, etc.
    Lewis Hamilton was struggling with the tyre set-up of his Mercedes in Monaco throughout practice but could not do anything to improve lap times and was within inches of crashing all the time , repeatedly shouting “there’s something wrong” over team radio :rolleyes: while team-mate Valtteri Bottas finished just 45 thousandths behind pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen and finished third outclassing three-time world champion Lewis Hamilton.

I don't know if some of you did listen radio communication from Mercedes team in Russia. Hamilton was crying all the time how bad car was and team could not do anything to satisfy him. When Bottas was asked if he likes to pit and make changes to hes car he did reply: "Car is what it is I stay out few more laps and try something else and result was pole position and victory of Rusian GP."
    What is something else Bottas was talking about? According Sir Frank Williams is Bottas the one of the most talented driver he has never seen.

I agree with Sir Frank Williams and give my vote to Valtteri Bottas.o_O:)