SOLVED dx11 start/pit glows

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by iDTDoug, May 30, 2017.

1. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

So, according tot he guidelines, the dx9 glows are no longer needed for dx11 but it needs the be bright enough to trigger the glow. I tried 2 different ways, emisive 100% white and 100% emissive colored and neither "glowed" at all. I used the materials in the lighting example too. I even tried adding a tiny white dot in the center and still no glow. Anyone got an example of 3ds settings that work?

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I used the supplied textures by S397 example
    For barbagallo Pit in/out lights my settings are
    Shader = high luminance sun
    blend = 0ne zero
    Diffuse = 255, 255, 255
    Ambient = 255, 255, 255
    Specular = 0, 0, 0
    Emissive = 68, 68, 68

For start lights I have used T1 shader.
    Hope that helps

3. Radar

Radar Registered

I've had this working with no problems at all. The guide they posted in Dev Corner is pretty good info. What Nibiru has suggested is personally not the best way to do it, the below is what I've done after much testing and I've had this work fine for flashing lights, start lights and static lights and tested day and night looking what actual lights do without the need to 'fake' it.
    The below is all from memory as I'm currently at work.

So the model itself can be T1 (or whatever shader you wish to use), clone the model and remove everything except the light to make a 'light cover' so to speak or better still and even easier method would be to select the light polys only and create a 'light cover' from this selection. Move this out to a minimum of 1mm away from the actual traffic light (also to avoid any texture flickering affect).

This extra detached model is the _GLOW model which uses the High Luminance Sun shader.. I used Source Blend: Src Colour with Dest Blend: One. and it works fine for me as per my below info.

So your model should now consist of 2 x GMT's. eg Light.gmt & Light_GLOW.gmt.

The textures for the Glow material is as easy as the colour for each light. So add 3 x Material ID's which will be for each colour. Name the ID's to something you know (I tend to use the name of the texture in the ID field) rdglow, yelglow etc. Their template of the light intensity in the Dev Corner is only for white lights, so to get a red, green yellow or blue light you will have to find the right 'intensity' level to suit.

Alpha layer is White for On light, Black for Off light. Diffuse layer is the colour of the glow. eg Red is Red, Yellow is Yellow etc. Personally I wouldn't use a textured map as the glow of your light as this will have a textured glow through it (unless that's what you want). As the glow from real lights is generally a whole colour, it's best to just use the diffuse layer as the colour of your glow which is basically what S397 have done with the Intensity chart.
    I certainly have not done this (textured maps) with any of my models to date, I've just adjusted the shade (intensity) of the red depending on how bright I want the light. The brighter the red, the more intense the light, the darker it is the less intense it is (just like their chart).

The textures are named the same as they have been. eg rdglow.tga, rdglow00.tga & rdglow01.tga. The *00.tga is the 'Off' light so both the Diffuse and Alpha layers are black.

EDIT.. Corrected the errors (now that I'm home and checked my work)..

Red Diffuse. > > > Alpha layer.
    upload_2017-5-30_18-41-34.png upload_2017-5-30_18-42-14.png

Obviously when exporting to .gmt, the texture maps for the _GLOW.gmt will still retain the Textured Event Animation with values of the lights ie 0,0,0,1,1,1 or what ever the values you use for Green, Red etc. Your traffic light model however is nothing but a model (unless you want this to use the Textured map for Event Animation, but I don't feel it's necessary to duplicate a textured light on the model, and a 'glow map texture' for the _GLOW model. It only 'fakes' what lights actually do day or night. If anything I'd probably use a more intense colour for traffic lights so drivers can see them at day time racing however generally with the shade over each light as real traffic lights do this would fix this issue anyway and make it more 'real'. Besides, if the driver in P2 can't see the lights properly and you do, then one up for you :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    iDTDoug likes this.
  4. Radar

Radar Registered

I forgot to mention in my post above.. So using the above method, you are removing those old 2D style GMT's. for example street lights that had that transparent '+' (plus style box) below the light. It 'faked' the look of lighting but it's all we had with rF1 and the early days of rF2. This method has essentially removed those 'fake' appearance style models with the new _GLOW.gmt file format and uses the same shape as that of the light being used (just like a light cover :)) to add the lighting glow rather than adding these fake 2D model and textures that only covered a small amount of the track..

The _GLOW is what adds the actual light glow to the model along with the shader of course. The shader however only does half of it. And if your model has any obstructions ie the shade cover over the top part of each traffic light, then the glow will not be visible side on.

Just be sure the light cover or brake disc "_GLOW' file is at least 1mm from the actual model or you will have flickering texture problems.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

6. Radar

Radar Registered

7. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

a tad bit too intense on my first try.. :D

Attached Files:

8. Radar

Radar Registered

I see the light :)

That looks like a shader setting problem. Assuming you're using the same settings as I've posted (or there about's) I'm curious to know what your Spec Power might be at?.

When I get home Doug I'll post up the settings I have for mine (all the settings). The light looks a little white rather than green or red (although it does have a blue haze around it).

Getting there though..

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'm curious: how will glows be handled if the player doesn't have post-processing turned on, but they do happen to have track detail turned up? Is this handled in the shader? Is the plan to force post-processing on, eventually? Or will there be an option for a post-processing-free fallback (e.g. mesh is turned on in the event of post-processing turned off)?

10. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

spec setting is 0. that was just all white for ambient, diffuse and emissive, I think it was source clr > one. I tried too many comboes and didnt keep track. I tried the old source alpha/inv source alpha setting and you cant see anything. I'll try more tomorrow.

11. Radar

Radar Registered

Ok, in the time I had I grabbed one of your traffic lights from Long Beach.. I did a quick UVUnwrap for the main section of where the lights are and textured this with the LED light texture, the rest was just a quick 'detach to element' for smoothing. quick template to move the texture about etc then added the _GLOW gmt. I did leave the main model as T1, not ideal but the focus was on lights, not model.

As I said, this is a quick play for you. The intensity was bright but this is because the lights were in sequence I found.. Making the Red and Green darker will fix the night issue but I feel it will not be bright enough for daytime racing.

My advice.. Spend time creating a more 3D model for the LED start lights. By that I mean, rather than a flat layer (refer to #2 bottom left image) maybe add a beveled edging around it or push the lights back into the model adding a more 3D look to the model (like the rough example given in bottom left image #1), and then move the 'covers' to be more flush (or a tad further in) from the flat panel itself.

Why you may ask.. Basically I found that as a singular light it wasn't so bad, but when the lights rolled on, and then to green where all 4 lights were lit up you had this grouped set of lights that took over the scene as you can see from the sequence images.

Reducing the massive glow it creates with indented lights / LED's should stop the lights from blending in as much with the main _Glow cover being further into the model, not above it (1mm or so out) as it doesn't have any outer shroud light traditional traffic lights do.

The other option would be to reduce the 'cover' size. The _Glow covers are the same size as each of the lights, cutting these down in size could help however I still feel indenting the light would be the better choice.

upload_2017-5-31_22-23-31.png

Attached below is the Template.psd for the UVUnwrap, the MAX 2012 file, Startlight.gmt & Startlight_Glow.gmt (plus the textures of coarse).
    The model attached is saved in the location shown above at the Silverstone circuit. So Feel free to copy the files into the relevant places (for Silverstone) and play around with the intensity levels / different model styles. The 2x Max files is one at 0,0,0 location, the other is at the location of the Silverstone grid as per above image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  12. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Hmm was having a play with this myself.. however i noted GJED doesnt have the HIGHSUNLUM shader recomended for tracklights.. which is going to make it hard without reverting to Max 2012.. Unless its called something else in GJED ? Any thoughts, or am i missing something

glow.jpg

13. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Tried with some of the Light glare shaders and got the light effect needed.. (The shader in video was just a test, it only showed from certain angles where others work from all angles). Note; this was 255,255,255 texture, 100% emmisive.

14. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

No your not missing anything we all are missing heaps.
    At this stage the only way it can be done is with the tools S397 provide.
    A work around is to set it up in your higher version of max export to fbx and load into 3dsimed. Simed can export for you it knows the highsunlum

15. Radar

Radar Registered

What Nibiru said Drath, I've had to do that myself a few times. I really do hope they start developing gJED soon as us modders are being left out and 'making do' with what we have. I've had to revert back to do some animation work for a project and it's a real pain in the arse..

@iDTDoug I'll play around tonight / tomorrow with the model and add / indent the lights a bit and play around with the settings some more. As I mentioned, the light in it's singular form is fine and no need to use a textured map for the Animated cycle (just use animated cycle for the glow with plain diffuse), but when you group the lights they are excessive.

I may need to reduce the intensity myself in the textures but it's that in-between setting I'm chasing (looks good in day or night).

I'll post details and feedback for all to use once I find that happy medium. So regardless if it's a single light or grouped, we can use the same settings.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  16. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

yeah, i might try making it 1/3 the size but with rectangular LED's that might look weird up close. Those maps were taken from actual photos I took back in the champcar days when i had pit access.

17. Radar

Radar Registered

It shouldn't look weird as it's the _Glow model you are changing and this is transparent. The glow from one will flow nicely to another possibly.. I was thinking something similar but down to individual LED globes given the size of the globes.

It gives me ideas anyway to test on. Will be interesting to see how you go also.

18. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

@Tuttle Re the discussion above, modders are using a mix of tools to try to implement effects - ie export from max to simed to add shaders gjed doesnt have.. or reverting to 2012 max (which gjed was made) to move on from.

Can you ask the team if there is any plans on this front around further development, one way or the other for modders (Ie new tools for max and/or gjed revision) ? I realise its likely the focus is on dx11 and UI, however it complicates and is slowing down development of content for the dx11 update.

wizzfactor2, Ozzy and Goanna like this.
  19. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I tried every combination of the old glow materials last night, none worked, I either got a bright sun or nothing at all depending on my blend. I'll switch to the new material now and do some testing this weekend.

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I've no news about gJED neither I've about plugins, but new trend is to communicate every plan as soon as we have something cooking, so if there are not communication usually means there are not operative plans at the moment.

The solid path is still 3DsMax with Plugins and the route explained in the official guidelines.