Out of real time, stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chuckyeager, May 27, 2017.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Create your own control config and save it with a name you want, then just reload when needed. Make a backup so if you need to delete your player folder for whatever reason you'll still have it

2. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I got for a short perĂ­od of time those 1 sec freezes.

What i did was look for the Windows process manager while i'm playing, and bingo...

Every time an application of my internet banking uses more than 50% of CPU i has the freeze.

Just uninstalled the application. But i'm think that you set rf2 process for higher priority may solve too.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah this is what I suspect, that OP has some other app using his CPU or CPU downclocking itself wrongly (all modern CPU's have dynamic clock). Games shouldn't really need to use the high priority setting, the OS can handle normal priority.

4. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Thats what i did!

5. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

But if it is the case, that an app is interfering with the game app then something is massively wrong, it is basically a 4 closely integrated cpu system, another app needing so much resources that it interfer with another, i'v got 16 Go of ram something is massively wrong.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

@chuckyeager rF2 physics can only use one CPU thread, so if that one thread gets interfered, then it can have massive consequences.

7. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Shouldn't the OS put the other process thread ore threads on another cpu ? when you've got 4 ?
    So it would be a win10 failure.

8. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Windows, and just about every other general purpose operating system, will make an effort to fairly distribute the available resources, CPU time being one of them. For that it uses a scheduler that will try to give tens if not hundreds of processes time to run. It might employ strategies like preferring foreground processes. It might also make sure that even background processes get some time. It was never specifically designed for real-time applications. That is exactly why special real-time operating systems exist that do give you stronger guarantees.

Windows does not have tools that allow applications to exclusively claim one or more CPU cores. Users can set "CPU affinity" for each process individually that tells a process to only use one or a few cores, but it's quite involved to do that for all possible existing and new processes. rFactor 2 does try to explain to Windows that it would like to run at a higher priority and we also try to make sure our threads stick to a specific core (to prevent context switching) but that is about all we can do.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to build a separate computer to run rFactor 2 and not install any other software on it. That is a pretty effective strategy in making sure no other processes interfere. It might not be practical in all cases. Then making sure as little other processes run is your best bet.

ebeninca and SPASKIS like this.
  9. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

But thanks again for your advice, i know its boring for others especially when you don't have access to the computer.
    Its already a pain to resolve in front of it...

Ive got to find a way to log cpu load because i have another problem ! its impossible to alt tab between rfactor and russinovitch's process monitor, thats why i have to kill rf process...

10. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

ok ! very good explanations, maybe thats why they've created this new game mode which didn't solve my problem though :(

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL

qusimano and Louis like this.
  12. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Rfactor should work on his own, be its own OS ! Don't count on others, do it yourself!
    why should i load this windows thing, even the directX app, get rid of this layer, it doesn't work ! it interfer badly! :lol:

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Windows itself appears to be in quite some cases the disturbing agent that may cause realtime drops.

Precisely the day I had to quit the race, about half an hour before the start when I had massive freezings, I had the annoying blue screen stealing focus from rF2 telling me that Windows10 was ready to install its new characteristics. Hateful the lack of concern from Microsoft guys.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Well I would begin by monitoring your CPU usage while this happens and watch if some other process is going crazy in the background. Because there is no way rF2 runs out of realtime on a 6600k CPU if it has the full CPU to use, unless your CPU is throttling down due to high temperatures. It could be so many things, that's why PC is a tricky environment and the blame is not always on the game.

15. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

As far as i know studio397 is working to solve the problem, other games of same gender like iracing and assetto corsa don't suffer of this kind of problem.

About Win 10, i use Win 7, so the problem wasn't the windows version but just a background app i has installed.

I tried to use russinovitch's process monitor too, but no luck, the app crashed during my gameplay. The only way that worked for me was using the windows task manager always on top, ordering by CPU column.

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

other games don't have a tire model running at 2400mhz I guess

stonec and ebeninca like this.
  17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The first thing I do to any program I install on my racing pc is to turn off any "auto update" or "check for updates" or scanning.
    This includes Windows and anti virus.
    Now I'm using Win10 I use the option that you set the time so the pc won't be restarted but I have recently got into the habit of checking for any Windows updates before I do any racing.

Also, with graphics card drivers, namely nVidia, I always do the "custom" install and only install the driver and PhysX .
    I don't use 3D, so I don't install the 3D driver. I use the motherboard audio so I don't install the audio driver.
    I sure as hell don't install Geforce Experience, or whatever the bloatware is called.
    Don't install what you don't need, don't let a program dictate when it thinks you need to update it etc.........

I have never had my race interrupted or stuttering.

Tr51, peterchen and SPASKIS like this.
  18. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I just found that active hours setting, which I just changed. However, I also found that my system is struggling to update to latest Creators Update. This was provoking continuous efforts by the system to install that update. After several fixing tries I was still unable to get W10 updated.

20. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Ok actually the controller folder are basically templates and UI just tells you on which template your modified controller settings is based thats good. Thats because unlike the garage settings, unsaved changes are kept.

I have not play Rfactor 2 since more than one year so i was on windows 7 at the time and i have never had such an issue. Some stuttering of course sometimes when settings are at the edge but never complete freezes ! whatever settings.
    I also install only nvidia video driver and physX and tweak to tailor the game to my system with nvidiainspector.
    maybe it has something to do with the fact that the game is still DX9 hence the shift to DX11, win7 compatibility doesn't improve anything though