Out of real time, stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chuckyeager, May 27, 2017.

1. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

I can't get rid of it appearing here or there.
    It's not driver or OS related i tested different nvidia drivers, changed my Win 10 version to the latest.

And what is really strange is that when it works, after rebooting, it works at a really flawless high fps level, i can race with more than 50 cars on the nordschleffe in high graphic settings... strange, weird...
    4Go of graphic memory, 16 ram, 6600k intel proc

i tried max framerate capping, g25 wheel setup, even without g25 driver... different aniso, antialiasing
    Nothing seems to cure definitively the problem. Frames to render ahead etc...

AI cars seems to be updated less often, i hear the sound in real time but the graphic slows down and AI still at the same speed. Sometimes its even impossible to get rid of it at all, never the less it appears one time your out of the race...

I think there is a correlation with track loading times that are getting also much slower, i have no clue how its related unless not every textures are loaded even with this memory quantity

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I had to abandon our championship last race for this reason. Undriveable: it felt absolutely strange. Initially when I first joined the server it was even worse. Several "1 second above freezings" in the same lap. In one of the laps I didn't get to normal 6th gear by far at the end of main straight which would seem that the game was sporadically dropping from realtime. I was using DX9 build but I would say that something is not working as expected. I'll probably reinstall rF2 from the beginning to make sure everything is OK.

3. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

this game is completly fucked up.
    They are clever at ISI, they conceded the license knowing it was impossible to correct the mess.
    nobody knows whats going on, its impossible to correct, a shame ! was a nice game, next one !

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Not a general problem of the game. Slower loading times and game running out of realtime means something is using your CPU, or your CPU is not working at 100%. I would begin by removing all third party overclocking or other software that could interfere with CPU speed, and use only the "high performance" power plan in windows settings.

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

DX9 or DX11?

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

What car, what track? 6600 seems to be 3.5Ghz minimum, which is good for the game. I think problems happen with high banked tracks around 2.5Ghz. So like @stonec says, something else is probably taking a lot of your processing power.

7. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

dx9, don't want beta testing, i'm already testing the compatibility of the game with win 10 and i can tell you its not compatible, maybe it works with linux ? do i have to go back to win 7 ?
    I don't get the meaning of ctrl + C graph, i have two colored full string very small, almost need a telescope and a spike travelling and dancing sometimes to the left sometimes to the right, thats weird !
    it happends whatever the settings, i'm in low textures and its the same as in full, is it a game able to use more than one core, from what i remember physics being highly causal is not easy to multithread?
    do you use the physx thing from nvidia ?

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Don`t mess with Nvidia rFctor 2 profile settings just live them alone.
    This are light settings to rFactor 2 and any PC should be able to run with them. However some gfx cards has 2 GB ram or less and lowering details may give better fps.

Try settings below to your game.

rFactor2 video settings:
    Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 3-4
    Sync: Video

Inn Game > Options > Display:
    Circuit Detail > Full
    Player Detail > Full
    Opponent Detail > Full
    Texture Detail > Full
    Texture Filter > X16
    Special Effects > Full/High
    Shadows > Low (FPS killer #1 in rF2)
    Shadow Blur > Off
    Soft particles > Off
    Rain Drops > Yes
    Road Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)
    Environment Reflection > Off (Off gives better fps)

UserData > player folder, open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

If your rFactor 2 don`t work with this settings there is something wrong with you PC.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  9. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

Developer nodes say: "Added a separate thread to issue FFB commands which is needed for some drivers that block. This functionality improves upon and therefore replaces the old Controller.JSON value “Skip updates”, but can also be disabled by setting the new Controller.JSON value “Use thread” to false."

so jump in your player .json look for the line "use thread" and set it to "true". at last for me it worked.

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Funny that because there's plenty of people running win 10 perfectly fine with this game, as above check your own system and it's possible faults before bashing the game!

11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

@chuckyeager as you state in your first post, after a reboot it sometimes does seem to work (and at some point after that, stops working) which does seem to indicate that something on your system is interfering. That's hard for us to diagnose remotely (it's even hard to diagnose for you locally). You mention track loading is really slow. That only happens directly after a fresh install, or whenever you delete your player profile or change your graphics settings. In all those cases, rFactor 2 will recompile the shaders to conform to the settings. Loading the same track/car combo again should be quicker. If not, then maybe it has problems saving these files (they end up in UserData\Log\Shaders).

Others in this thread have offered some good pieces of advice (starting out with modest settings and "standard" content and even using a separate thread for your wheel driver). Do any of those make any difference?

Also, you say you're dropping out of realtime? That should be visible in the graph you mention, the purple bar should never go all the way to the right. Are you seeing that?

Finally, this could in theory also be plugin related. Definitely for diagnosing this, please try removing all third party plugins to see if that makes any difference.

12. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Thanks for your input !
    i already tried all those tricks, use thread yes/no, texture sharpening 0/5, no transparency AA, my pc as i said before is able to handle the game with full details !
    i already have played with the most demanding track, the laser scan version of nordschleife with tons of trees and more than 50 AI, it was as smooth as water.
    But suddendly, it changed completly and goes in slow motion.
    The last time i tracked the event was when i needed to check run as admin for the game to be able to save my settings and after that it went all slowmo again.

I never tried video kind of sync though, will try...
    thanks again for your answers !

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

*could* be a graphical corruption of some sort, in your Userdata\Log folder delete the CBASH & SHADERS folders then reload the game and the track (loading time will be long for the first run) and see if that helps.

EDIT: sorry Marcel already explained that bit :D

14. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

@Marcel Offermans :
    Yes, usually when the game is working fine, the loading time is longer after reboot or a change of setting that necessitate a shader compilation as you said but i noticed that as soon as the game goes back to this slomo state loading track is even longer than first time and keep the same loading time even if i load exactly the same track/car. I remember there is a prefetch thing also in windows that kind of keep the data in a place/state organisation that make them easier to load again.
    The CTRL+ C graph present two full string watever my settings are which seems wrong

15. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

As for the controller settings, i'm not sure how it works. There is a controller.json in player folder, i suppose its the default before any loading or auto detect. I choose auto detect then it loads G25 json that i modified and saved under a new name.
    then as i reload the game it present me a json that's called "Logitech G25 - modified " not the json file that i saved under a new name ? what's that ?
    i even had a temp file one day pointing to my modified json but i haven't it anymore, does it happend because i killed rfactor2 process ?

16. Marcel Offermans

Well, after a reboot, if you did not change any graphics settings, it should be quick.

17. Marcel Offermans

controlller.json contains your current settings, so if you load a different profile, or let the game detect one, those settings end up in your controller.json file.
    Regarding temp files, yes, if you kill rFactor 2 it might leave behind a few of those.

18. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

ok, thx! but why the UI is showing a misleading G25 - modified when in fact it points, not even, it has made a copy of my G25 renamed file ?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@chuckyeager If you load, or the game detects your wheel and loads, the G25 profile, and then you make any changes to it, that's what it will say. You'll never modify the preset files because the game doesn't save to those - it only saves to the controller.json in your player folder.

Have you tried removing/disabling all plugins?

20. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

So if i make many different original G25 based profiles with slight modifications it will always show G25 modified so i never know which version is loaded ?

Yes i've no plugin and disabled track ir one
    I'll try another win10 version maybe go back to the earlier one i had with a fresh install, i've already tried too many combinations, nothing works