Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Exactly in what moment of the loading bar it crashes? Sometimes some objects fail to load causing issues. For debugging windowed mode is preferred with respect to full screen. It allows seeing potential error messages otherwise hidden in the background.

The first 3/4 of the loading bar is for loading the objects in the scn in the order that they appear. There are several techniques to trace for a corrupt gmt.

One is placing a flag that causes a characteristic error (for example removing a recalled gmt to make it fail). You should start placing it in the middle of the scn and start reducing the range where the buggy gmt might be.

If you understand the idea it is easy to perform.

2. SmashingPants67

SmashingPants67 Registered

It generally crashes at the end (the final 3/4)

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Then it could be related to AIW. I would check garage positions.

4. SmashingPants67

SmashingPants67 Registered

Can I send you the files by PM?
    Then you send me what errors are you getting.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

For sure. I'll check them tomorrow though

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I checked your files and found the error. However instead of just telling you which is the error, I prefer to describe what I did...

1. It was crashing after loading the full bar. Hence problems loading the scn were to be discarded. Just as a double check I introduced a recall to an inexistent gmt at the very end of the scn file. When loading the track, the crashing for not finding the recalled object occurred about 2/3 of the loading bar.

2. In order to discard possible AIW problems, I removed AIW file so that the game would generate one. You just need to make sure that when placing the car at 0,0,0 it won't fall to the void. In any case, I made a simple 10mx10m square object to which I applied road material located at -0,2m and named as the inexistent file I mentioned before. This is just to save time avoiding to change previous scn where I had introduced a new instance. I previuosly had taged coll target and hatt target as true.

However the track failed equally. Hence AIW should be disregarded as the crash causing issue. This doesn't necessarily mean that AIW might not have issues. Sometimes two things can be wrong at the same time. This can drive you crazy because until you don't fix both it wont load. Therefore I didn't yet remove the just created object and didn't restore AIW.

3. I finally went through the gdb file and found that you were recalling the tdf from Joesville. I changed that line and the track loaded perfectly. I restored AIW and the track loaded perfectly.

GDB was your only problem. Renaming the line where tdf is defined fixes it.
    Enjoy your track ;)

Jake Loewenstein likes this.
  7. fab06

fab06 Registered

hi all

i have done some tracks that work fine (AIW are made from BTB) , but for one tracks (AIW still from BTB but i change a few thing with the Dev mode) , i have an issue , games crashing with " stopped working" at the end of loading track too , but only with opponent

it run fine when i select only one player , but problem that is in "dev mode" tracks run fine with opponent ! !
    so i don't know how to find the problem in the AIW (if it is from there) ?? cause in dev mode it run perfect ..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByivwfcsPhMuWWZEYmlWWWpieDA

and game crash after loading with no opponent in DX11 ..

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

If it worked before making changes to the aiw. Try putting the original aiw back in.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Does it still fail in single player mode if you only select race session (turn off practice and quali)?

What happens when, after selecting no opponents, you add them manually?

Good point also the post above...

10. fab06

fab06 Registered

in single players game run fine in Practice or race in DX9 with no opponent ..

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I understood that.
    I asked if selecting ONLY race session WITH opponents caused the crash as well.

In the same direction I asked as well if starting with no opponents in practice session, manually adding the first opponent caused the crash.

It would somehow point at garage locations. Are you using more than 2 cars per team in BTB?

12. fab06

fab06 Registered

game run in race session with no opponent fine , 2 cars per team Max , if i start the game with no opponent , i can add after manually with no problem ..

SPASKIS likes this.
  13. fab06

fab06 Registered

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would check everything related to AIW is fine using BTB. I simply cant use dev mode's AIW editor. Pitlane path, garage positions.... Never had problems with BTB created AIW so something must be odd. You said you edited the original AIW but you never mentioned if it was working fine. You might have done something unexpected. Keep it simple and start over instead of trying to fix something that you don't dominate.

15. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Hi SPASKIS, i followed your tutorial, i tried to convert a track, add the realroad and the sky, everything works. Then, i built a simply track with bob's track builder, just a circle with grass and tarmac, same steps and it works without any problems.

Now, i resumed an old project, Vallelunga, all built wit BTB, for now i only have the roads and some grass, exactly like the circle track i mentioned before, but following only the initial steps (so no realroad, sky etc) the track keeps crashing when loading.
    The crash occur about 2/3 of the loading bar, if i delete (move) the TDF the game crash at the end of the loading bar, i tried to delete the AIW with same result. I checked the GBD and SCN, everything seems to be ok.
    Any suggestion? (I'm using fullscreen mode, no error message, just "rF2 has stop working").

The track works in rF1 & AMS!

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi Krusti,
    I yesterday posted a thread with a loading screen for cases like this.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?posts/897024/
    Can you use it and send a screenshot? Use windowed mode since it gets easier to Print Screen. Also PM me with a link to download it so that I can take a look. It can be interesting in order to test or improve the loading screen. :)

17. Daniele Vidimari

I didn't noticed this thread, nice touch!
    I'll do all the necessary in the next hours, really thanks!

SPASKIS likes this.
  18. Daniele Vidimari

[​IMG]

The problem seems to be related to AIW,
    indeed, if i edit by BTB and replace it in the dev folder, 3dsimed still load the old AIW, is this normal?
    PM sent!

SPASKIS likes this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I'll take a look and report back. It might not be the aiw but I'm not sure... It was difficult for me to force a crash or non critical error within AIW.

From the things I tried I was only able to induce a crash BBY putting negative number in the number of waypoints at the beginning of the AIW. That's why I couldn't spot an end for it.

Solving problems should help improving further this loading screen by adding more characteristic failing spots.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Krusty I could load your track with no problems at all in both dev mode and single player mode.
    Where the crashes ocurring in both dev mode and single payer mode?

upload_2017-6-3_0-21-14.png