Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

these settings apply to monitors too, I've stated my spec and these settings give me a better result
    prior to my upgrade these settings proved favourable then too
    if someone has better setting please post here so I can try pretty please

happy for people to go there own way though and it might be better for them to do so, I'm only trying to help
    & put info there for people to take or leave

note added to first post :

Note: these are the settings that seems to give me personally the very best performance on my current PC and previous a PC although its not necessary to change these settings I personally always will

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    bluet and TonyRickard like this.
  2. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I think this is a valuable and helpful thread. Adrian has put his time and effort into trying various settings in VR and reporting his preferred settings. Others can and have added to it such and the first post has been updated to reflect this.

Once working nicely (and the performance updates from S397) have improved it a lot since the initial launch VR in rF2 is awesome IMHO!

Narrowbackwing and Adrianstealth like this.
  3. domeno

domeno Registered

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  4. David Kolody

David Kolody Registered

Adrianstealth likes this.
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I noticed something interesting and I thought I'd share, especially because I am confident in my test.
    I noticed that ASW on Oculus causes image corruption. It is not huge, but annoying enough so that I won't be running it in rF2 for now. The way it looks is like parts of the image are moving/disappearing. It is most noticeable while driving karts, the front part of a kart looks corrupted, moving shape etc (which makes some sense considering what ASW does).

This is not specific to rF2, I see similar corruption in other racing game using SVR, but I don't recall ever seeing that in project cars, for example.

That's a pity, as ASW improves smoothness of the image. But, there's no free lunch :)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We've probably talked about this on discord but I forget (!), but have you tried locking ASW to Always On so not having it on Auto?
    I'm gonna try this tomorrow and see what happens as I generally just have it on Auto all the time, so I should notice a difference if there is any.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I keep ASW off but keep interleaved on ....seems to be working out nicely, still testing

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

What would be awesome to see if performance comparisons for each graphical setting in VR. ASW off, end of grid, same track same position. With Oculus perf HUD with ASW off FPS is visible. On the other hand, that might be throwaway work if VR perf work is planned.

What I know for sure PP above low kills FPS a lot, the rest is not that clear.

9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I will try that,this is quick test.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

VR action !

11. Magus

Magus Registered

Unfortunately this is one of the byproducts of ASW technology, a slight graphical hiccup when it kicks in or is forced. For example in the Skips, the front wheels have a slight flicker in-out as they spin. In iL-2 looking down the cross-hair as the propeller spins causes a weird waving of graphics in that area. It's never too intrusive but it is always there & in some cars harder to spot than in others.

All forcing ASW does is stop the stutters and the constant peaks and troughs of fps as the game keeps trying to find 90fps as you go round the track, especially as the number of AI change around you. rF2 in VR needs a fair bit of optimization at the moment so as to be able to run the game at a medium graphical level with a full grid. I was hoping the last build which stated performance improvements for those running pp at low or off would have been significant for us, but I did some minor testing yesterday and didn't see anything significant.

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Could you tell me how i do that?

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Magnus you have no pc specs in your profile , maybe best update it?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

CTRL+Numpad1: Disable ASW, go back to the original ATW mode
    CTRL+Numpad2: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW disabled
    CTRL+Numpad3: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW enabled
    CTRL+Numpad4: Enable auto-ASW

I'm not sure the first two work any more as I only notice a difference with Numpad 3 & 4, with 3 (Force to 45fps) I noticed it was smoother without the slight graphical issues associated with Numpad 4 (Auto).

You can use:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/
    This is handy (if a little problematic at times) as you get all the OculusSDK Tools in a handy easy to use App.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  15. Eddy

Eddy Registered

MarcG likes this.
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

45fps if you have too

90fps with low settings if need be
    is my preference

Running with shadows off seems to free up my cpu thus giving me a feel of decent headroom

17. Magus

Magus Registered

Apologies, signature updated. I thought the information from the profile page had carried over from the ISI forums as I had all my specs written there.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  18. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

I cannot play shadows off. Immersion killer.

The Iron Wolf and Narrowbackwing like this.
  19. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Yep I'm the same , I have them set to medium or low , I don't need 90 fps all the time and dropping frames doesn't affect me one bit , but I know there are a many who suffer if they don't have a smooth experience.

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Ok, I did some quick tests, and here are my findings (Oculus):
    * image is still corrupted if ASW is capped to 45fps
    * As Adrian mentioned (thanks man), Shadow level is big FPS hit. Interestingly, I am seeing hit on going above "Low", but not so much after that. With low/off I get 90FPS everything maxed out, AA1, no soft particles, end of 12 car grid, Atlanta, Karts Junior. As soon as I set to medium, it drops to around 47FPS.
    * Water vapor is also big FPS hit.
    * Someone mentioned PP being better optimized now. I checked Low vs Medium, FPS drop is not huge but is there. It seems to affect Max FPS more than Min FPS.