Can someone please explain the AI drivers tyre strategy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Mar 22, 2016.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

On Rfactor 1 you could edit the tracks GDB file and tell exactly what laps each driver would pit on. Was really cool. Unless they can make it easy and not time consuming to do it in the UI (assigning a setup each to 22 drivers is time consuming) they should just try and reinstate the pit stop strategies section in the gdb file, or even in an rcd file.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

People don't want to go into files
    There should be a tick option in UI

traind and F1Aussie like this.
  3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Oh yeah I agree, but if so I hope it it quick and easy to do. The way it is now, if you wanted to make and assign a setup each for say 22 drivers, each with their own fuel strategy - it takes a while and is fiddle.

Maybe in the UI, maybe in a tab with a screen before the race, you can see a list of all the drivers and there you can choose what laps they stop on.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

There is no need to go through all driver and set their strategy, as a simple script, fed with some input, can do all the grunt job on his own. And even more beautiful, in the optic of a single player championship, NOT knowing the tire and/or pit strategy of your opponent for the lead, will make racing even more entertaining. AI strategies should even be influenced by a decision process that simulate box decision : anticipate or delay pits,choose tires. There are schemes to follow and I think it is possible to make AI strategies credible and effective without adding too much complex computing. But even making a static decision before race start is more entertaining that see the cars pit all the same lap or make stupid things, like pitting in a 10 lap race.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In a simple way all we need is a check box for "Mandatory Pit Stop" and the AI use that rule too, maybe have a slider next to it for how many Pit Stops we/they need to perform. Simple in idea but probably not that easy to code in, going back to the old way of editing GDB (or Talent File) is not only outdated but also far from user friendly.

Adrianstealth and F1Aussie like this.
  6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

How can it not be user friendly. All you need to do is repackage the mod and edit the talent file? Although I wouldn't have an issue with it, I can see others may not want to do that. It would be good if there was an option, maybe like an option for each AI where you can input how many laps and what laps they stop on in game?

While you saying it might be outdated, rfactor 2 haven't done anything to update it, instead leaving it out completely. So wouldn't an 'outdated' option be at least better than nothing?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Going through the whole repackaging process is not user friendly at all especially for some who does'nt have the time to faff about with the whole process, quite obviously simple options in game is user friendly. By Outdated I mean the constant need to edit ini/gdb files in notepad and not directly in game, this is 2017 not 1997 and it's one of my gripes about todays gaming in general not solely RF2 related.

I'd much prefer a section in the UI dedicated to AI, whereby you can create Drivers based on Values and assign them a Skin all on the fly. Then add to that their Pit Stop Strategies and other functions if possible. For now though a simple (but again maybe not simple to code) Mandatory Pit Stop option would be just fine, I *think* RRE has this but not raced that in a while.

Ho3n3r, traind and demerzel like this.
  8. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Yeah I do agree with that. Hopefully sometime in the future we can have something like you suggested. I just feel, as time consuming it might for some, the gdb file option is better than nothing and at the time worked exactly as intended. It's like we've gone "this is outdated so instead of updating it, let's leave it out completely".

Edit;: Also what is rre?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

RaceRoom Racing Experience

You also have to remember the very small number of people wanting to play around and edit these files for their own enjoyment, it would be a very low priority item for S397 to deal with so you need to fully accept that it might never happen. We're in a a minority you and me, we want to be able to edit AI on the fly with all the bells & whistles but you (especially) need to be patient and understand the complexity of the task, then weigh up all the other much more important aspects of the Sim that need improving first.

10. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Like hot fixing bugs?

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

And believe me I have been patient for the past few years with rfactor. And I do understand, but I don't seem the harm of discussing it.

Edit: You talk about 'bells and whistles'. I'm only talking about a simple basic feature that was available for the past 15 years, but for some reason isn't in rfactor 2. You seem to keep missing my point that it feels like the gdb solution is much better than nothing.

12. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe only few people will play with those file (I'm not that kind of guy) but everyone that play singleplayer WANT to access in a easy and reliable manner the same features. I think they will be addressed as S397 stated that single player experience is among their goals.

F1Aussie and MarcG like this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

...and the multitude of other Wish List items that more people would like in the Sim.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Exactly my point about it being a low priority item and now we have a new team taking over and doing things their way, like Comante said they have got an eye for the SP Experience so hopefully we will get something in the future, but as always it won't happen over night or even in the next few months.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I will never edit a "talent" file in my life
    Dont even know what one is and don't want too, to many other more important things to do like enjoying lapping on a sim

If it's not a simple click or put in a box of pit stops for race then I'll not do it

I thought a setup with say half race fuel would do it ( but AI's are forced to use same setup ) but obviously it doesn't work this way

16. traind

traind Registered

I have a few basic questions:
    How do you know what tire the AI race on? How much fuel do they start a race with? Does anyone happen to know the answers for these questions with regard to the ISI Formula 2012 AI?

I am racing more in RF2 with AI now and I find that my prowess against the AI varies a lot depending on the track... even within the same race series like the Formula ISI. On one track I will have a tough time with the AI set at 98% and on the next track that is way too easy for me so the race is like lapping practice.

17. argo0

argo0 Registered

The AI does vary greatly. That's why the ability to set the AI difficulty per track is so useful.

18. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Install this great program to see what AI tyres, fuel etc.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ffline-and-league-championship-manager.48117/

traind likes this.
  19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

AI starts with the tyres that are on the default setup. Look in garage.
    AI-strength is very dependend on AIW-line on given track (which they have to follow).
    Often modded tracks are not well done in this regard. Only thing you can do there is crank up strength, or learn doing better AIW-lines.

traind likes this.
  20. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

In the Formula ISI mod, they always use the hardest compound available, no matter what is assigned on the default setup.

traind likes this.