The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

18588751_1906769289602495_4314984270779158609_o.jpg Although from this image on my phone at work (yep I'm working ;) ) you cant see the similarity so much ,with the eye, this shot at midday or there abouts at Mid Ohio taken from a video is as close as you can get. perfect spot and screen placement to compare.. 2 bobs worth ;)

Obbzy_XR_ and MarcG like this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yep. The sky does look different in different places due to some factors. I guess us who think whiter horizon is more normal is because we are more used to see it. :) Like i said first - its a nit-pick. Not getting my panties in a bunch over it. :D

bwana likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

White horizons are ok in smog filled places like la China and such,in the uk yesterday I was looking for this but couldn't see the white horizon.
    And yes it was actually sunny in the uk yesterday

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Changes day to day too. People into their graphics stuff (like, oh, I dunno... some of the rF2 devs, among others) generally know all the factors in this. Some days, or times of day, the whole sky is very blue. Other days/times, it goes more to aqua.

Alex72 likes this.
  5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Not a bright white horizon... Blue mixed with white and not blue mixed with green. Like the images that was posted. When i tested Belgium yesterday however i saw that in DX11 (blue to light blue), and when i looked backwards i saw the blue to green. So it seems to depend on angle. No biggie.

6. Timmy uk

Timmy uk Registered

People moaning about the sky in a car racing game...
    In a Open Beta/Beta game..
    Funny.
    I think the powers that be have been rather busy sorting other issues.
    However, sky, rain etc, will be sorted soon.
    Is it so hard to not understand how complicated programming a game like this is?
    People seem to thing it is so easy, to change this, change that.
    Easy to say, harder than you think to do.
    They are trying to address a 1000 and 1 issues, and doing it rather well.
    The sky now, is well just sky.
    Wait until they add the full weather stuff.
    If you are not happy then, file a bug report.
    Simple.
    For now, if you have issues, try sunglasses...

MarcG and patchedupdemon like this.
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I can't believe this thread has so many comments, surely there are bigger issues than an ever so slight tinge of green in the sky.

MarcG, Obbzy_XR_, bwana and 3 others like this.
  8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

For the moment I agree. But it needs to be adressed at some point as it is basicly taking 50% of the image while racing. The sky is more important to how we percieve our surroundings than one might think at first glance.

Guimengo and boxer like this.
  9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

What interests me, is that all comparisons here are made by:
    - other games
    - pictures of a sky
    - pictures of a sky from 10K up in the air

In my opinion there is only ONE proper comparison;
    - walk outside, open your eyes and look at the sky!
    How does THAT look??
    NOT seeing it on a screen.......might be pretty real-life to me.
    And when I compare THAT to rFactor 2; I don't see very weird things......

Other games: are they correct?
    Pictures: the pics shown here are beautiful, almost Teletubbieland like.......are they improved? For wallpaper use or some other use maybe?
    Don't get me started on the 10K up in the air picture.

What I see here: all pics, comes across different on every monitor, none of them compare to real sky in my opinion.

F1Aussie and Will Mazeo like this.
  10. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

I think rFactor 2 should improve the Sky color and saturarion first. Then it should improve the clouds and I think the sky would look very good.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The pic that Guimengo posted a few posts back with the FR3.5 at Zandvoort, shows a pretty wierd looking sky for middle european latitudes and makes it allmost look tropical. I am not saying it's a big deal right now, but the sky radiant that we had in the DX9 version looked better balanced. The green tinted sky was the first thing that struck me when exiting the pits at Indy.

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Wasn't that the teaser from Studio 397?
    Isn't it obvious it has been worked on? I see the car in a blur for instance and there seem to be some kind of fog?

I'm an official at the Zandvoort track and walk around there on a regular basis; sky is never like in a wallpaper picture.......
    But those kind of pictures are being used as "prove" of the weirdness of rF2 sky.

If I wouldn't know better, I would almost say there are a bunch of 30 yo nerds that compares pictures and games, but never got out of mommies house to see a real sky (that is never the same and never like in any picture you see!)

F1Aussie likes this.
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

Kind of like what I did with image, doesnt look like it on the screen your looking at ,but side by side comparison was identical. Oh and btw thats not china , its Bass Strait between Tasmanian and Mainland Australia. pretty pristine air quality down here ;)

MarcG and Obbzy_XR_ like this.
  14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

it gets better the lower you go ;)

bwana and Obbzy_XR_ like this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not comparing that image to any other games, but how the sky looks here in middle Europe in reality and it doesn't look that green/cyan tinted as in the Zandvoort preview screen, DOF or not and it has nothing to do with 30 year old nerds. If you can do me a favor and take a picture with a camera that captures real life colours when you are at Zandvoort I would gladly take a look at them, during different times of days and weather conditions. Because here in Germany the sky never looks like that, but as said allready - it's not a big deal for me right now. :)

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

You can't compare just by walking outside and looking up,unless you are comparing the same time of day and location on the globe as the devs did when they created the skies.
    Your sky will be different to my sky,which is usually dark and stormy cuz Englands weather is crap lol

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Maybe the current system doesn't cover different sky colors on different lat/long, so they use a baseline sky that's based on a tropical sky. Maybe there needs to be some additional parameter that reduces the cyan tone outside of equator/tropical zones. None of us really understand how sky dynamics work.

18. Flaux

Flaux Registered

So,... is it true that the sky in tropical regions turns cyan? Because I always thought it is the water, thanks to the bright sand, that turns cyan.... lol? Never seen an actual cyan colored sky to be fair.

During sunset and sunrise the sky can have many colors, but simply cyan instead of blue? Don't think I ever saw this. But I might be wrong.

19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

do any sims worry this much about the sky, I mean different shades for different parts of the world? I wouldnt think so, there are bigger fish to fry.

20. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I grew up near the Ecuator and I remember being supriced when I visited Spain at how blue and darker the sky was. Although I don't think I would say its cyan where I grew up, just a lighter shade of blue. Although my girlfriend and I always disagree on what is green and what is blue when it comes to cyan type colors lol

That being said, as many others and myself have pointed out, the sky color is nowhere near close to being "the big thing rfactor has to improve". Its just a small cosmetic detail, that it may or it may not be easy to fix, considering it is a dynamic model. There are more important thing to fix and I honestly couldn't care less if the sky looks a tiny bit greener than it should.

bwana, David Kolody and Flaux like this.