Released DX11 and VR Open Beta, Is Here!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 1, 2017.

1. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

After many troubles, I've got my 3D vision working properly as before BUT it won't work each time I launch the game. That's very strange. I launch Nvidia 3D test in Nvidia control panel before starting rF2... As if 3D vision should be "awake"... Don't understand but it works...

Harmermania, Gonzo and Narrowbackwing like this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah i hear you. I just hope they can optimize more. Running AC on max and ultra shadows and over 60FPS at all times. I know rF2 wasnt coded for DX11 so of course i cut S397 some slack on that and i understand miracles wont happen. AMS in DX9 i can also run with shadows and 30 cars around me with no drop under 60FPS.

I tested though with PP on different settings while shadows are low and i have 60FPS, turn PP off and turn shadows from low to medium and FPS drop to 40 around other cars. So shadows seems to be the heaviest for me. rF2 is so incredible good but without shadows immersion is a bit broken. When DX11 was announced it was the "small boost in performance" that made me happy. I though i would be able to have the settings i had in DX9 that was 60FPS but only raise shadows from low to medium in DX11 thanks to that announced boost, but i get the basically the same result in DX11 as in DX9 with the shadow change. S397 might not be done yet with optimizing so im cautiously optimistic. :) Otherwise it means buying a whole new PC which wont happen anytime soon thanks to my current situation. I would have bought a new one immediately if things were different. It is what it is atm. I'll let them get on with their work. Just reporting now and then what i see.

EDIT: Made a quick test Historic F2 @ Belgium 66' and cranked most settings to high except shadows which was on low + 15 visible AI on high quality and clouds = 60FPS fluid. And if i crank many settings to medium or even low but shadows to medium and no clouds = lots of drops under 60FPS. So at least for me shadows are very hungry (triple screen).

EDIT2: During that quick test i also noticed during night/evening when AI turn on their lights that my FPS is under 60FPS almost constantly. What makes headlights that doesnt cast any shadows eat so much performance? Tested during day time and i have 60FPS constantly even around all the AI cars, and then i turn to night and its constantly under 60 FPS (shadows low). It looks so good though on Belgium when the sun is setting around 7-8PM. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I'm getting black sky with Build 1837347. Already cleared out CBash and Shaders folders after installation.

4. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Same, cleared both folders and still not solving the problem

5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi - a little off topic but is Sebring updated for DX11?

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm wondering if Palm Springs will get the updates, its actually a really good layout and used in real world testing too

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

was wondering how you got such high fps on a 1070 I'm on a 1080- but saw u run pp low..

i run rf2 maxed out cos it looks so nice with 20 cars - even 30 can run solid 60. Benchmark i was getting 120 fps around. in pits i drop a bit. i used to run reflection on low on my 970 to keep frames, but with high cars just look more shiny i prefer it.. but agree it eats fps.!

I always thought the shadow res needs to be better altered for lower setting.. i have to run max shad and quality blur to make it actually look ok.

8. edwardjamesgrey

edwardjamesgrey Registered

I had the same problem this morning... checked a few tracks but then before I could post, Steam did another automatic update and all seems fine now... this was literally 10 minutes ago.

9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

40 pages later and some people have still not understood what BETA means, but are still too lazy to fill a bug report in a mature manner instead of ranting and talking about what was "promised" to them. I find it quite interesting to judge the speed of development when you "just came in" completely ignoring the fact that the beta was trimmed from a stuttering turd on many machines towards smooth gameplay in a matter of less than a month including visual updates and even some physics tweaks to the content. God forbid if there is a chrome needle giving too much bloom ... move on and let other people do the work for you and come back if the product is worthy. But don't forget that other products have their own problems. When RaceRoom goes UE4, don't expect it to run smooth - when Reiza releases Reiza17 prepare for similar issues - let alone the TOD implementation of iRacing wich will most likely break their well baked shadows ... should I mention another game by a certain italian developer while we are at flickering shadows, z-fighting and "jaggies"?

@C3PO: Sebring isn't updated yet, but Monsum wrote in the workshop that the VLM tracks will get an DX11 update ;)

bravotangosix, bluet, Ernie and 11 others like this.
  10. Promag

Promag Registered

No matter what I set it to it shows arms and moving wheel or no wheel at all.

11. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Vsync video only works with shadow @middle using a triple screen setup with nvidia

Promag likes this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

plus official mainly updated content is what's in question here, not performance of 3rd party modded cars/tracks
    of which so far are not updated and run pretty terribly

-I'm only using official 397 content with a couple of yet to be updated ISI stuff

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

too right adrian..

i couldnt care if any mods are compatible - if all ISI/S397 content is updated to the newest standard of tg2 thats enough for me to play!

bluet, vegaguy5555 and Adrianstealth like this.
  14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Can run at decent settings now
    The various updates are really working

I do keep shadows set to off though as they slaughter things

Big thanks to 397 for top work

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Does anyone else see drops in FPS when cars headlights come on? On triples and GTX980 i cant run evening or night as the cars headlights come on. Gets down to 30-40FPS.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

gosh not just me then , some cars now have broken ffb , historic open wheelers are all fine so i've been stricken to those, isi f1 2012 fine too

not tested all cars but did try the formula 3.5 & f2 these were not right

LokiD likes this.
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Reiza's beta process works flawlessly and lots of people participate in a respectful manner, as do the devs. Actual details are provided and discussed about what is changing. Everyone can do A-B testing with ease for every single update. No comparison to the ill-formed process here.

P.S., glad to hear I am not the only one who is looking forward to shadows being improved on the same scale as the rest of the graphics. It's fine if shadows are last on the list--the devs could have simply said so at any point in this tiring process. If they are not to be significantly updated and optimized, then that is extremely sad for rF2.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The only thing sad is your constant need to belittle everything RF2, there's forum for bugs/support, there's a Discord channel for the same, the devs have been in constant contact regardless of what you claim, there's a new button in the launcher for Bug reports I think.
    But no, it's never enough is it #sigh

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

oh here we go..
    Things could be worse.. y
    Had to max the caster on the clio to make that feel right..

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You are completely failing to see that Reiza is developing their sim for over 5 years now on a proven engine where a different studio took over development of rF2 not even a year ago, developing the core engine even further and completely redeveloping the graphics engine, even setting up a completely new development structure. If you can't see the difference, it might be good for you to take a deep breath and think about it for more than five minutes because it sure makes a difference if you work with an engine for over a decade or if you are writing your own engine for 6 months taking it over from another developer. rF1 is bulletproof, rF2 is not.

The process here works pretty flawless aswell, all information that someone needs to beta test this thing are given in different places and the communication with the development team is as close and as fast as it gets. It might be nice to have a bugtracker or subversion builds just to do all kind of testing stuff, but I fear this might confuse the majority of users who are not familiar with this kind of stuff.

It has been said multiple times now - for people that are actually interested in the process - that the performance optimization has top priority now and you can even read it in the roadmaps. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that right now and I wonder why you question this right now and want to have a problem solved asap, that seems to be much more on your side or your impression than a general issue that affects everybody else. If you find the process of beta testing tiresome, then let it rest and come back when things have settled down but don't rant about it. I have followed the development of this beta for the last three weeks and I can asure you, that the development speed and response time to user problems is incredibly high. Maybe you should get on Discord just to get a glimpse and not just by judging it from the outside. It all depends on how far you are willing to go ... The first time I fired up the DX11 beta I thought: "Damn, this is unplayable, back to DX9 for me now". Now, three weeks later I can't go back to DX9 and most of the basics are working very smooth with a much improved image in all TODs. No floating cars at night, proper working reflections and all the other little things you start to appreciate. Driving with the BT20 at Monza 10k 7am gave me a wow feeling for sure and the first time you drive NOLA at night it gives you an impression how damn good endurance racing will work with this sim in a couple of month. Good things need time ;)

lukilord1, Alex72, CamiloNino and 8 others like this.