Update a Steam Dedicated Server ?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by JohnW63, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You are correct but I think no .rfcmp files is the way we will be going so paid content cant be shared.

2. Depco

Depco Registered

Please tell me this is being fixed in the new UI, as the current system is a soup sandwich. And this is the opinion of a guy who admittedly is a HUGE supporter of rF2. I'm just kind of sour right now because I had to do a fresh install on the server box. It was a trial and error with me having to fix stuff through a process of look and see... Compare to old install and finally figure out that the official SteamCMD install did not put all of the files in place. I actually had to install the Steam plugin by hand. I mean really WTF? Did ISI really screw the Dedi-server up that bad that it can't be a simple install and then add content? No Fuss no muss? Apparently it can't.

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Why not ModMger is still in Bin32 folder?

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

The new UI will have new server hosting capabilities
    Of course it's still there.
    Didn't you say before you had moved your dedi install from another machine? Steam plugin does not have to be installed by hand. I made another install two days ago, it's all there as it should be.

5. Christopher Elliott

Not sure what you mean by 'fixed', SteamCMD works fine I use it all week and many others do, having issues with installing it is another matter.
    In regards to the new UI, there will be new hosting options. (You'll still have the option to use SteamCMD)

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for the response

"Upload it to your server
    -This means nothing to be because :

I don't have a server (this is what I'm trying to do)
    Zero idea how to upload it if I had a server

Anyway thanks for the picture I'll try again later amending those paths

I think a video (just of a screen) with some one doing from scratch would really help

"DOS" box -that's what those evil little black boxes from hell are called
    Thanks

7. Christopher Elliott

The point of using SteamCMD dedi is you can get a server running 'anonymously' meaning you don't need another license to run it on your remote server, nor do you need to login. This can be very useful if you share a remote server with others, for example.
    That said nothing stops you from just installing the normal steam client on your remote server and running the server from that - you have multiple options now.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

If trying to run it from a steam installation on one pc then trying to join on another (into same steam account) logs the server pc out

I'm trying to use a separate deadicated pc to host it does have steam & rf2 installed on it ( but not using this installation ) I'm just trying to follow that guide

9. Christopher Elliott

Sorry, I meant to your 'remote server'.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  10. Christopher Elliott

OK you don't need to stay 'logged in' on the hosting PC, but if you run a SteamCMD on the hosting PC it will log you out of all other Steam clients. Just log back in on your 'driving' PC once you're done running the CMDs on the other.

11. Depco

Depco Registered

Chris, thanks for the responses.

I initially copied over several (3) player folders when I reinstalled to the new box. However after being unable to get the server recognized on the steam Matchmaker I figured I had done something wrong. I then wiped away every ounce of rfactor 2 off the new box, including deleting all entries in the registry. I then did a completely fresh install through Steam CMD.

I wiped away all of the entries in my router for forwarding the ports and started fresh there as well. On the old box I had 3 servers running with three different entries for each server. then started comparing the new player folder with the old player folder and eventually realized that the custom variable .json only had 2 entries in it. No entry for steam plugin, no entry for stock car qualifying.

Once I was able to get that figured out then everything smoothed out. But up to that point it was almost a week of pure frustration trying to get ports open in order to get steam to recognize my server. And seriously I mean if I wasn't at work (not even remotely IT related) or sleeping, I was working on trying to get the new server box setup for the league race on Sunday.

So maybe that's shedding some light on my frustrations and why I needed to vent.

While you may use steamCMD all week without issues in the scope of your employment the rest of us use it as a hobby and form of entertainment to relax after a hard week of work. So when I asked if the new UI will have some sort of improvement or fix I mean will the dedicated server interface have some sort of graphical user interface that's intuitive and can be installed anonymously.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  12. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Thanks for your advice! I'm trying that now.
    I'm uploading content to my DropBox .
    I'm assuming that I have to replace the ".cache" with ".rfcmp" extension.

Thanks again,

Bryan.

13. Depco

Depco Registered

Yeah Bryan, that worked for me. You having any issues with Noel Hibbards GetModMgr program? On the new box it is not seeing the newly added content so I can add a Dropbox link for Getmod to work. It sees some of the content I added last night but not the new stuff I added today.

14. Bryan Birtwell

Ummmm.... All I have to say is "duh" about "adding the rfcmp" to the end of the file....

15. Bryan Birtwell

No, Noel's tool isn't working at all anymore. I see the packages flash on the screen and then disappear.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Noel`s tool is working just fine for me, packages don`t flash on the screen and then disappear.

17. Depco

Depco Registered

As it turns out I had the Tool in the wrong folder. I had it in the /Bin32 folder instead of the main folder. Once I moved it to the proper folder (Main) it started working like butter again. Thanks for the responses guys and Chris, thanks for all that you do to help support the rF2 Community. Even putting up with incorrigible posters such as myself.

Christopher Elliott likes this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm dreading getting back to even trying this again

19. Radar

Radar Registered

20. rer8

rer8 Registered

The server, file update and maintenance systems should be automated... I thought that STEAM was supposed to settle the problem of mismatching etc. As it stands now the system, if there is one, is not only antiquated, cumbersome and nonsensical but painful for the maker and the user... One of the many problems that ISSI "promised" to fix was the online gaming process that plagued the original rFactor. Come on, this game has set a standard that other developers have diligently worked to emulate, and we still have no reasonable answer for online gaming... many years ago, when I was in the military we had a mandate: KISS to wit: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Time to step up Studio 397! Thanks GrimDad!