Released DX11 and VR Open Beta, Is Here!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 1, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You do make me chuckle, nothing is ever right for you, you simply HAVE to find fault with the tinniest detail and go about it in a condescending way every...single...time, not a Please or a Thank You in sight, almost demanding fixes be made and you've been the same since forever on these forums. If you spoke in a more respectful manner then maybe, just maybe, you'd get respect back.

But I do actually agree with some of your points, it's the way you come across as such a hard done by gamer that is really laughable, but please carry on hating everything about RF2 as it puts a smile on my face knowing that every thing is soooo bad for you :)

fran_o, not_him_59, bluet and 2 others like this.
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am glad you are pleased. If they were tinny [sic] details, I wouldn't be mentioning them here. There are dozens more issues I don't bother to discuss. Issues that would turn off most people from wanting to use or use again the game are worth elaborating. As usual, if you don't agree, you can reduce the wasted space in these threads by not replying.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

If something was reported years ago -> consider it lost. Myself lost a lot of reports which costs me hours of work. Do not forget that the structure and company changed within the last months. Its not ISI anymore. There is a new head, new team, new people with different approaches. Report your bug (if its a real bug) to them and give them the chance! Its not my job to reproduce your bugs. I am not driving with ais, so i do not care. But to be honest, they cannot address every bug you want to get addressed as long as there are obvious issues unfixed.
    Believe me, i am reporting as much as i find ad my time allows.
    Have you calibrated your force feedback to prevent clipping, etc? Feel is relative and not an obvious bug. So some more precise details by you are needed to address this. I dont want to shift into details too much, but if you follow the roadmap the provided you can see that your things were not on the top of their lists yet. You cannot reinvent the whole engine within some months.

Why have you waited three years for new lighting? Was it announced by ISI? If so, ISI is not developing rF2 anymore. Dont measure the new team on expectations and promises from the old one. Lighting is not in a state of experimentation. The first step you do to merge to DX11 is to keep sure that all your existing content works, polish your engine, fix bugs and make it DX11 compatible. If that process is done, you tune the performance and fix bugs /bottlenecks and reduce memory consumption where possiböe -> which seems to be the current state. The current DX11 implementation is close to be able to take over the "old" dx9 version. This will then be the new base to continue. If you build a house, you will start with the fundament, continue with the cellar. You also got better shadows plus the post effects and which are gorgeous and VR. Once the base is a stable and fast dx11-build you can continue from there with many small tweaks here and there. Not offending, really(!): but did you ever worked as a developer of any kind of software? I was also expeting a bit more polished version at first of may and maybe this was a mistake. But it shows that a promise is a promise. In the software industry you normally do not make promises. On 1.6 the software might be in a way better condition, but if you would have delayed it you might have lost your promise and people would blame you because of that and you would not get the feedback from the public. You cannot do it right often, all you can do is to learn from it.

Feel free to continue this conversion but lets differ between S397 and ISI, everything else does not make sense.

fran_o, bluet, bwana and 3 others like this.
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

As soon as I see some real difference between them...

You are speaking as though ISI was completely incompetent. Not true in any way, shape or form. They built rF2 and the base for AMS quite well. The only problem they had was chaotic and disorganized development combined with too few resources and some customer communication issues. A lot of the same people are still here. They didn't magically transform from idiots to geniuses because their employer has new initials.

So far, S397 has promised a lot. They have improved communication. They have delivered little so far any faster or better (quality) than ISI would have had they chosen to invest in doing so instead of coasting. I hope that changes, but I am not holding my breath after seeing what we have now (lots of issues with graphics, no new UI, no correction to many car and track long-standing issues) almost two months after we were supposed to have a working (not beta) DX11.

Louis likes this.
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Well, you start to exagerate!

ISI completely missed the market, which is a fact and imho indiscussable. Everyone was crying for the right things but they did their own and lost their lead in the sim market by far. UI-tech from the stoneage, a packaging which took ages to work, dust graphics, racecast was a good approash but then got canceled, only single cars, low content frequency, a lot of half done features. They were false-managed, but for sure they have/had some heroes in their rows which made rFactor be the best simulator (physics wise). While all other titles used social media, paid-content, communication, community, they just slept on the success from the past. I dont want to continue here, i am looking into the future! Thats completely different now. You can see, feel and smell it everywhere. Roadmaps, goals, plans, addressing of obvious shortcomings, new gui, new vr, dx11 improved engine and many many more things to come. While you talk them bad, they are striking back. Its a pleasure to see a deads living longer. Those people who are still there (testers, content-team) can now unleash all of their skills, they already showing their potential.

Dont make the mistake and prejudice - a lot of things might happen in the background.

fran_o, bluet, Grey and 8 others like this.
  6. bwana

bwana Registered

Ah too many palms.. And too.much work not enough drive time

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

come on marcs! Leave it be lads.

bluet likes this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Reinstalled rF2, but in the beta drop down i cant choose DX11 anymore. Is the sim DX11 now when installing?

NVM it worked all of a sudden.

9. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Lol, same problem here! ;)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Show some respect and you'll get respect back, cry like a ranting child and you'll get none, simple.

fran_o and Grey like this.
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Marc apparently to get rf2 even to dx11 they stated (sounds conceivable based on the fact Isi didn't even want to attempt it) that the rfactor2 base/Core had to be practically re-written, throw in VR support whilst their at it too -of which there's still some we'll know sim titles that don't even offer vr after promises for over a year ( Reiza )

Also take iracing wgoch is offered at premium costs ( more than any other racing sim on the market) that has flaws that the devs acknowledge but have never committed to a firm promise if an update

Racing sims are complex (good ones) I imagine development time is very heavy

Chill , think new UI coming next month & perhaps these super weekly updates may even continue in the meantime

Enjoy what we have now it's totally worthwhile & rfactor2 in the best state it's ever been in

Ps My last track day at Silverstone the car I got (on the car by chance lotto) the steering was pulling left what ever , the gear selector was almost falling off , the gears were chrunching and sometimes popping out for no apparent reason -trust me not everything is water tight in the real world of racing either
    That's life hey but I still totally enjoyed it

bluet likes this.
  12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Toyota Celica GTO could do with an update to match the Dx11 tech but .... #2yearswithout32pixels

bwana likes this.
  13. jimmy 75

jimmy 75 Registered

No 3d vision ready in dx11?

14. Louis

Louis Registered

Talking about respect... :D

peterchen likes this.
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Does anyone get a large and sudden fps drop and stutter when the lights initially come on at tracks? It has happened to me at Malaysia, toban and mills, lasts for a few seconds before going back to normal

16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Shadows on medium and 10 AI cars bring my FPS to 40 when around the cars. If its 2-3 AI cars its fluid 60FPS. Then i turned shadows to LOW and performance is top notch around all AI cars. Problem is shadows on LOW is not fun. I wish LOW would be proper shadows that follow the sun under the cars but that they were made pixelated and light. So they look kinda ugly if you look closely but when driving there are at least shadows under the cars. On LOW there is almost nothing. Mostly its just a blob right under the car that you dont even see and it often looks like the cars are floating in the air. Even better would of course be if MED shadows could be optimized. I tried now with Post Processing on various levels and i stay over 60FPS. Its just shadows that kills performance completely.

BTW sorry if i missed it, but for what model of CPU (and below) is "Aggressive Threading"? I read its for "older" CPU's, but im not sure how old/what model.

17. blagger

blagger Registered

I definitely agree, the medium setting for shadows needs to be optimised.
    I am not able to get constant 45 fps on my PC (using the Oculus Rift) on medium shadows. On low setting the "shadows" look very unrealistic. Maybe it is possible to reduce the quality of the medium shadow, but still be a shadow relative to the sun position.

vittorio and Alex72 like this.
  18. stonec

stonec Registered

There should at least be separate options for shadow resolution and draw distance. I'm also quite convinced shadows can be done cheaper in DX11 (in terms of performance) than what the current implementation is, with the current shadow system you basically get slightly improved rF1 shadows.

Alex72 and Guimengo like this.
  19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

someone was asking settings for GTX1070. and the fps numbers that they said they had made me wonder if everything is ok in their setup since i'm having much better results.
    so here are my settings that give me 180-260 fps alone in the track and 140-230 with 10 AI. in pits you might drop below 140, but that i can live with.
    haven't tried all tracks but silverstone, and toban i have tested enough to say thats what these settings give me in those tracks.

AA4, pp:low, shadows medium, blur off, road reflectation off, soft particles low, everything else maxed out.

1080p only tough, and in case you're wondering my cpu, it's 3570K @4.2

Few notes:
    -road reflectation seems to bite quite a chuck off the fps (20-30) and it doesn't add enough to the image quality to justify the loss so that's why it's off.
    -shadows look ok enough at medium on my monitor (27" led fujitsu) so thats why i left it so low.
    -shadow blur doesn't work well imo below high shadows so that's why that is off.
    -pp @ medium doesnt bite fps that much but it gives me a little stutter, so i left it at low.
    -AA @ 3 would suffice i quess, but as i can leave it at 4 while still getting decent fps so 4 it is.
    -soft particles with AA4 doesnt change the image quality enough to justify higher setting.

edit: i dont have steering wheel visible, as i dont like to have 2 wheels at my field of vision, and as i drive with 35fov (seat +52 front -13 down), only the top of it would be visible anyways.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  20. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

@Alex72, I find that Low to Max shadows have less of an performance effect than Low to Ultra post processing - I wouldn't use PP on a low powered computer. The performance affects of shadows vary quite widely depending on many variables. You may want to only race under Sunny and Clear conditions (best performance conditions) if you want to use shadows. I agree though, if I had to use Low shadows I wouldn't bother, it looks bad.

Alex72 likes this.