Update a Steam Dedicated Server ?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by JohnW63, Jun 7, 2016.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Do we do it the same way as before ? Download and install the Lite version over the top ? Is there a special Steam installer ?

2. Juergen Muench

Juergen Muench Registered

If you install the dedicated server with the SteamCMD, following this Guide
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

then you only have to run the install cmd ("steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit") again. During the installation it will check automatically for updates and will install the update.

Took me 1 minute for the update and the download is very small. [emoji106]

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Adrianstealth likes this.
  3. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

I'm so sorry I forgot to say THANKS!

Adrianstealth and GrimDad like this.
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Can any one who's done it give a simple step by step instruction

Yes I've read Mars guide but by the comments it went wrong for everyone

5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Well, that was my attempt to give simple step by step instructions. So what if you try those, and provide me with some feedback on where it all went south so I can improve that guide for everybody?

Adrianstealth likes this.
  6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ok brill, thanks Mars I'll give it a good go

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The installation goes as follows:
    • Download the SteamCMD archive from this link:http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip --DONE
    • Create a new folder on your system for SteamCMD, for example C:\Racing\teamCMD. --DONE
    • Put SteamCMD.exe from the archive you downloaded in that folder. --DONE (i PUT THE DOWNLOAD HERE)
    • Open a shell (Windows+R to run a command, and then type “CMD”). ---DONE
    • Go to the folder you just created: cd \Racing\SteamCMD -- GO TO? ...THIS MEANS OPEN IT RIGHT?
    • Run the following command: RUN WHAT IN WHERE, DOES THIS MEANS TYPE IN SOMEWHERE?
      steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit --RUN THIS WHERE? ....IN THE OPENED WIN+R BLACK CMD BOX OR DO I RUN SOMETHING IN MY NEW C:\RACING\TEAMCMD FOLDER ????? .....TRIED BOTH (AS RAN STEAMCMD.EXE IN NEW FOLDER WHICH WAS A NEW 2ND BLACK BOX THAT OPENED) ANYHOW AND BOTH CAME UP AS NOT RECOGNIZING THE COMMAND

NEVER GOT TO THIS NICE PART:

Sit back and get a cup of coffee. Steam will download the full distribution for the dedicated server for you and install it in C:\Racing\rFactor2-Dedicated.

------------------------------------

am i missing something ? my path for the new folder is C:\Users\07734 xxxxx ady\Desktop
    (this contains the downloaded files )

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ignore above , simpy run steamcmc.exe & type in :

login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit

EDIT : nope although that logged me in it got me no where

EDIT 2 : one needs to swat up on those horrible black box path commands this might help :
    http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-how-use-basic-commands

it does have to be done in the windows black box that appears through pressing WINkey+R

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

downloading packages with the fun little black box ....no go

I all ready have everything in an installed folder can i just select and copy to the new dedicated rfactor2 folder "installed" folders?

what happens when these items need updating if they have been updated on the workshop do they automatically update ?

EDIT ---cancelled copy, it says put them in packages folder so I'll copy there

EDIT2 --this sounds helpful but when i run them -they run but nothing inside

• A shortcut to the module manager that can be used to install packages containing tracks, cars or race events. You can find it in the Bin32 folder of the installation and it's called ModMgr.exe
    • A shortcut to the package manager that can be used to create race events. It is located in the Support\Tools folder of the installation, a file called MAS2.exe.
    EDIT 3 ....."a file called MAS2.exe." -No its not there
    EDIT 4 ....found it (to many folders etc)
    EDIT 5 ..installed some but will not show lime rock park that I moved to packages (so cant install track)

EDIT 6 ....it seemed to install Brianza even though I never copied this track into the packages folder (with historic cars) so i thought ok it has a car and track so i tried to package it, only to find no track layouts

EDIT 7 ...gave up , 6hrs of my weekend now gone

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I might try that horried little black command box to download the content again

No problems getting the content i.d
    (I press share in steam & copy i.d at the end)

Where it says USERNAME PASSWORD -we leave as this or replace those words with our own username & passwords ?

I've already opened every port on my router that I've read on the guide + various other ports that I've read for rfactor2 using google etc
    (Opened about 16 ports total to be safe) hope after all this it actually darn well works

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Finally got that little black box downloading content

It states which folder and the content was there

I moved it into packages folder

The content installer untiliry thing couldn't see it

I think a simple step by step video showing close ups on the black box and then whole screen showing the folders being opened and files dragged around to correct folders and the installer from scratch etc

The shortcut target thing was confusing too ".." was there something suppose to be inserted instead of the .. ? I understood no logic to this

Not wasting anymore time trying to use trial/error etc

This was a seriously bad move for me trying to get this donecdue to amount if weekend time it's taken and to no result

A video walkthrough should be fairly simple to do ?

12. Depco

Depco Registered

Cant figure out how to DL content through SteamCMD either. I usually just DL the content to my main racing rig and then transfer it to the server after doing a copy/paste from the Content folder for the Mod. But now I am trying to get the Indy version 2.0 and all I can find is a .cache file. the file is 2kb and if I rename it the file does not then turn into the rfcmp as I was lead to believe. This needs to be made more user friendly to be sure. I mean I have been hosting servers in rF2 for a few years now and I should not be getting this F'ing frustrating trying to put up content my league wants. I am seriously ready to punch my dog in the face out of sheer frustration. My dog doesn't deserve that.

Please thin of the dog and help me.

13. Depco

Depco Registered

Ok. Just finally found the correct .cache file to move over. I was trying to move the one from the Content folder instead of the one from the local rf2 folder. Still frustrating though.

14. Bryan Birtwell

I'm getting ready to stop running my server "F3 Fanatics", that's been up for over 5 years. It used to be a lot easier to install content. The whole change to Steam sucks if you ask me. I've tried following everyone's instructions. I'm not new to dos boxes. It just doesn't work. I've tried updating my server using the command line crap... How 80's.... It tells me my server has been updated, but the new content is NOT there. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get Brianza 2.1 installed on the server.. Wasn't anyone thinking when they took something that was so easy and made it such a pain in the ARSE? It's retarded... having to use dos boxes in the 21st century for running a game.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    GrimDad likes this.
  15. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I feel your pain. Another way is to stick the content somewhere (like dropbox) then download it to the server. Its a bit easier. Still I agree this needs an overhaul or online will die

GrimDad and Bryan Birtwell like this.
  16. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

If you can afford it, an alternative is to use someone to do this for you. Dave at NRT does a great job for US50 per month. I don't have to worry about it then

17. Bryan Birtwell

I've known Dave at NRT for years.... As long as I've had my server.
    I don't like asking him for help. He's got enough on his plate.

Before, I'd download the content like a normal 21st century human and install it.

You can't just download it to a dropbox account. And, why can't you just download it?? That's the way I used to do it. Then register it with Noel's Mod Manager tool and I was good to go, as well as, anyone entering my server.

I wish there was a way to bypass Steam and have it run the way it used to... when it was good.

Thanks for your reply and I agree that rFactor2's online life expectancy is probably going to be pretty short if they don't make radical changes, and make them soon. Like... ummm... using a "windows" interface. I remember DOS... all to well. Thought I got to say goodbye to it in the 90's.

Sorry for the rant but, this is exasperating.

Bryan

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  18. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Right now the two ways to download official content to a server is:
    1. Manually copy content over from your local PC. Go into the 'cache' folder on your PC, copy any content you want. Remove the .cache extension and upload it to your server.*
    2. Install the full rFactor2 Build via Steam command
      Code:
      steamcmd +login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 365960 validate +quit
    Note: If you decide to install the full build (2.), you will also need to copy over .cache files, remove the .cache extention and install manually using the 'Mod Manager' in ....rFactor2\Bin32

* The only content that will download via CMD atm is USF2000, GT500, and NOLA. These are not in the cache.

Bryan Birtwell likes this.
  19. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

In the 'mod manager' you need to set your working directory: (The default path is set to C:\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin32, this is wrong)
    • Click the 'B' to browse to and select the main folder you have rFactor2 server installed in - "C:\rfactor2-dedicated".
    ModManager.JPG

20. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

The server system of rF2 needs to be made into a steam server tool that can be associated to a steam account so the server & content can be easily subscribed to like the client user does.
    I've also wasted loads of time trying to use the current system and tbh I've come close to just giving up on rF2 because of the server.
    Far too much fuffing about required to run servers.

rer8 likes this.