Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same here - DK2 - 970GTX - I7 - running in VR really working well - using Barbagallo (short Track!) with uphill and downhill sections, that`s where VR shines - is totally different to flat 2D - and using the USF 2000 with 9 AIs. I know it`s maybe a bit high but I used everything track related + opponents at HIGH even used both reflections on LOW and shadows on HIGH (!!) - no AA AF at x4 feels even smoother after changing Pixeld. from 1.4 to 1.2 (1.4 was great) - that was before todays update - no time for testing today. Thanks 2 whole S 397 Team!!
    Edit: forgot - mirrors off - !!!

Tried Indy too and had running shadows at level Max - went back to shadows high and running shadows where not noticable??!!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    bravotangosix and TheMattyOnline like this.
  2. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

We might need a specific DK2 settings thread at this rate. Any takers? :)

TheMattyOnline likes this.
  3. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Vive with 1080 ti here. What stutter do you see in the vive? Head movement stutter? Or stutter in the animations/moving objects (relative to the camera)?

I have a feeling what you're seeing is asynchronous reprojection activating. Asyn reproj doesn't seem to work properly in RF2 in that it activates even when you're way above 90fps, and induces the stutter which is an artifact of the reprojection itself. What you should do is disable async reprojection (interleaved if it's on as well) and enable 'always on' reprojection (steamVR -> settings -> advanced). Then select settings that comfortably keeps you above 90fps. Butter smooth. I would hope 397 will look into the async reprojection issue because it's useful to have it on so it can smooth out any random dropped frames

4. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

Hi
    I just got oculus and trying to setup .
    Everything works i lower the graphics to minimum and will be going up slowly.
    I try to see my fps and when pressing ctrl plus f i dont see it there . Is that not working with vr?

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've not seen fps inside the vr but it appears on the top left hand corner of the monitor ( so I peek under whilst testing )

Shoot for constant easy 90fps
    Then lower your pc settings again a tad even after that

6. Magus

Magus Registered

@Pablo11 you can run the oculus tray tool & enable the performance overlay. yes you have a huge graph imposed over your view but it is a great way to see you fps and your overheads. However, the problem is that you may fine tune your settings for one combination of car and track, it's not going to work for another. As Adrian states, once you have your stable 90fps, best bet is to lower the settings beyond that just to give yourself headroom for a more taxing combination.

7. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

Thanks guys . One more thing .
    On my monitor i see the same what i see in vr like a mirror screen and when i take my vr off the whole screen on my monitor moves and turns .
    Also I dont see the fps displayed there as well.
    How can i set this up so it doesnt move when i take off my vr and display my fps?

8. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

It's either or.
    You can't have both 2D and VR mode active at the same time. The screen is acting like a mirror for most VR apps - if you think about it, it would add a third perspective for your computer to render if it was a regular 2D view. More load.

EDIT: to check your fps, enable "Display Frame Data" in SteamVR's performance tab then check "display in headset" and it will be attached to the backside of your controller.
    That will give you frametime, not fps, but basically anything below 11ms is 90fps (it's a reciprocal relation, 1000/frametime = fps).

9. whip

whip Registered

the only way would be to have a system like Assetto corsa has, where the menus are displayed on a normal monitor like any other game and the vr is only used when you go to race, (i actually quite like this approach because it gives your face a chance to breath regularly, and menus are always better on a screen than in the hmd)

10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

In case S397 reads this, I have to respectfully disagree, I do not like taking off my headset to access menu and hope this won't be the case with the new menu (at least, without option to choose). In fact, I am quite content with current menu and would rather spend dev resources on fixing bugs. Although sure, if we want to develop rF2 into more online game like iRacing/R3E, we indeed need new menu. Nothing personal, just voicing my perspective.

PaulG likes this.
  11. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I agree, Kunos is just being lazy with their VR implementation missing the UI. The best solution is something like in Project cars where the menu is projected in the air and you can use your wheel / controller (even gaze) to navigate the menu, set up a race, launch it etc.
    I don't want to take off the headset: it takes some wiggling around to make it sit comfortable. I also don't want to be reaching for a mouse, that changes my seating position.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Exactly. The clean, not lazy implementation is in Dirt Rally as well. But again, menu is last thing I would ask - I am fine with the current and R3E did the same, just display normal menu which is fine by me. In my setup, monitor is away from the wheel, so I can't even see it.

13. elbo

elbo Registered

I disagree, the AC implementation means you can use something like Virtual Desktop to stay in the headset and browse the menus, additionally it means you could keep the headset on and look at other stuff like motec.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The best option would be an Option between the both, then everyone's happy!

mike.m and The Iron Wolf like this.
  15. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

No, that's unnecessary overhead. I want all performance to go to the sim, not running things in the background.
    Also, why would you need an extra app for something that could be native? o_O

Kokomo and The Iron Wolf like this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not sure if it's the latest build and/or a fresh RF2 install but the performance in VR has improved greatly for me, running everything HIGH (Shadows, Track/Env Reflections Off) x1 AA and 1.6 PPD I'm getting a smooth performance (ASW on Auto) at a couple of tracks with different cars (19 AI).
    This is improved from Monday when I could only go to 1.4 PPD and most settings on Medium (same track & cars 14 AI), I'll try turning on Shadows and Reflections aty the weekend and see if they still cause a drop in performance or not.

Running Oculus 1.15 Beta and the grey outs no longer appear #Rejoice!

17. Magus

Magus Registered

@MarcG, which drivers are you running as there is no way I could do that with a 980ti?

Am I right in thinking that you are pretty much locked 45fps with ASW with 19AI? Can I ask what tracks you have tested too?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

latest 382.05 drivers and yes you should if you're CPU is equal/greater than mine (see profile). yeah it stays at 45fps as far as I can tell (drove a few laps with the Performance logger from the Oculus SDK) which is fine for me.

Civics @ Barbagallo
    Historics/Howstons @ Brianza 10k

Magus likes this.
  19. lockzar

lockzar Registered

You can already access to ur desktop in VR with SteamVR, but u need to turn a controller on.

AC is a pain in the ass in VR, R3E & RF2 did pretty well after that ^^

20. whip

whip Registered

yeah i'll agree raceroom has a decent ui that works well in vr