StepSpeed in Talent File (RCD)

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Juergen-BY, May 2, 2017.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi,
    after messing with the StepSpeed (1-8) settings for a couple of weeks, i`m done with try&error ;) The forum search doesnt brought up deeper information about that topic, even Google wasn`t helpfull...

I got from Marcel (discord) some information about that, but what i really would need, what are the numbers are exactly doing to the AI`s driving behavior? Sure, with changes i can see some differences in their driving behavior, but i really cant see a logic/system behind. I dont want to ask him again on discord, because i assume, they`re all very busy at the moment with bug fixing...

Maybe someone from the community could put some light on it, how this parameter is working?

E.g. when i change StepSpeed1 from 20 to 30, what means that for the AI driving? At wich state or speed or whatever, is this value working and what would be the expected difference of both values? How could be that whole thing calculated, especially the distance between the steps?

What i know is, that the StepSpeed values are m/s....

2. Emery

Emery Registered

As I recall, the step is how many waypoints ahead the AI looks. The regular distance between waypoints is 5m (I think?), so if you raise StepSpeed1 from 20 to 30, the AI won't look ahead 5m until they're going 30 kph (or is it 30 m/s?). To clarify my muddy statements, you'd lower the StepSpeed numbers to get the AI to look further ahead at a lower speed.

I hope that helps.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Many thanks, what i dont get, what happen with StepSpeed2, 3, 4...? Is that just annother 5m?

From the above example, i assume:

On StepSpeed1 the AI is looking ahead 5m when they`re driving 18 m/s or faster, right? When is StepSpeed2 becoming active? Is it just, that the AI is looking annother 5 m ahead, when they reach 28 m/s?

What would be very interesting, too, how could the whole thing (SS1-SS8) calculated?

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Right, that's the way I understand it.

peterchen and Juergen-BY like this.
  5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I think you got it. The higher the speed, the further AI looks ahead.
    I think you can see this as another curve/table (Excel diagram anyone?).
    When you lower the values of the higher steps, you let them look further away at lower speeds.
    Would be interesting to know what happens when you use very big numbers,- in theory they shouldn´t be able to see the next corner in time and crash when values are big enough....?

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, the opposite would be correct. When the higher steps have higher values, they reach the higher steps later and stay longer on the lower steps...

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  7. Emery

Emery Registered

By the way, I assume the further ahead the AI looks, the more CPU is consumed. I've never tested how much or if it matters with today's CPUs.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

False logic:
    If value is m/s (so given speed) then they have less time to process track geometry when this number is lower at given (step x waypoint distance) distance.

9. toebee

toebee Registered

If you make the a.i. look too far ahead then they will brake and/or corner sooner than they should. So don't worry about cpu usage. You will just end up with badly behaved a.i.

Emery and Juergen-BY like this.
  10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

How do you stop the ai from braking too early,would the speed step help

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Awaiting your test results.......

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

@Michael Borda maybe you could enlighten that a little bit, how the stepspeed values have to be calculated?