Released DX11 and VR Open Beta, Is Here!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 1, 2017.

1. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

3570k, 970, 8GB, W7

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hi
    Been busy and I do want to try this
    But has the triple monitor problem been fixed. ?

If anyone knows
    Ruben

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, I haven't seen this mentioned, but might have missed this:

HOW ON EARTH DO WE NOT HAVE A LIVE FPS INDICATOR?!?!?!? The average and min and max display is great, but not if it replaces the live FPS indicator. We need that to see what is going on with synching, stuttering, tearing, track design issues, etc.

Since my initial reversion back to DX9 caused me to lose access to all the S397 updated content (subscribed, but would not inatall or appear), I decided to install the beta again. Result was an error that prevented rF2 from starting even after verifying files. I decided to uninstall and do a fresh install. So, almost 30 GB of downlaoding later, I finally had a working DX11 with all the new content.

WHAT ON EARTH IS CAUSING THE POOR BASELINE PERFORMANCE IN DX11 (AMD GPU)?

With no AA, but most settings maxed-out, I got approx. 250 FPS @ Silverstone under DX9. The equivalent DX11 no AA and no PP is 100 FPS?!?!?!?!?!

Adding AA and PP to the DX11 works very nicely in that FPS does not plummet, but it is so low to start with that there are problems.

Lastly, even with AA at 5 and PP at Ultra, the shimmering shadows that drove me crazy with DX9 are still there. So I enabled my video card profiler for rF2 and applied Supersampling (as I always had to use on DX9), but the card settings are not taking effect. That might be because the card is set to use in-game settings? Regardless, the image quality is basically minimally better than DX9 from cockpit view. I could care less about replays.

I couldn't use DX9 content that I wanted, so now I have DX11. Someone let us know when these issues are fixed. I'm not going to bother using rF2 again until they are.

4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cool. I also meant a little older AMD though. AMD FX8350. In DX9 i have better FPS so thats why i was wondering if DX11 also meant it will be heavier for the CPU or if DX11 only means GPU.

Maybe it is that the DX11 wasnt implemented properly from the ground up since it started as DX9. Assetto Corsa that was built with DX11 in mind and runs great on my PC in triples on max graphics and AI. So i think thats why S397 has to fiddle a bit more to get DX11 in a better shape. Im just guessing of course since im not a coder.

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah, i tried rF2 in 1080p yesterday and the shimmer and shadow crawl is really hard to look at, luckily i play in 4k so it becomes quite good. Can you increase your resolution at all? I think that's going to be the only way to reduce all that shimmer.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Did you try running with a clear sky? There seems to be some issue with performance drop on DX11 & clouds with the current build. I think the average in the FPS counter sort of represents live FPS, it's not an avg over long time but rather an avg over one second or so.
    Shadow crawl is not going to be solved by 4K, it's due to the shadow system that rF2 uses. It was marginally improved for DX11 build, but it's still true that shadows crawl too much in front of you unless you put high -> max shadows, which eats a further 30% of the FPS. Maybe a separate slider for shadow resolution and distance would be good to have.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well i tried max full max settings with PP ultra in 1080p and then same settings but PP off in 4k and there is a huge change in how the shimmer looks . Shadows are always max on my system .jsyk

8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

FPS do not seem to be a problem for me until I try to get a decent looking game. DX11 picture quality is woeful with the same settings I use for DX9. I use crimson to control AA etc with Supersampling but these settings do not seem to be controlling the DX11 version like they do the DX9. The result is massive shimmer on most objects with very bad jagged edges in DX11 where there is none in DX9 version.
    To get any less shimmer and jaggies similar to that with DX9 I have to sacrifice 100FPS and even then it is not as good as DX9.
    My system specs in my signature.

Marc Collins likes this.
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

How you did that?

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is exactly my experience. Looking forward to a future update where DX11 equivalent image quality yields HIGHER frame rate (as with iRacing) than DX9. Then we can perhaps use higher quality settings than with DX9, which is kind of the point of the upgrade.

With DX9, you could use supersampling via the AMD driver and it would supplement the rF2 quality setting. Doesn't seem to work now, so either than needs to get fixed, or, the DX11 version needs to be able to replicate those effects internally. Presumably that would be better, but I don't care which way it works as long as the image quality is equal or better than what we already had with supersampling in DX9 and with better performance so there is headroom for the new DX11-only features.

11. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Lious the 100FPS is sacrificed after adding levels of AA from within the game settings.. Don't even get to use any post processing as the FPS has already dropped way too low after using in game AA.

Louis likes this.
  12. Louis

Louis Registered

btw, are you running triple screen?

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

NO single 27 1920 X 1080

Louis likes this.
  14. Lgel

Lgel Registered

After a week playing with the beta, they are several things I still don't understand.

Did they need our feedback to discover that:
    - Showroom view was completely bloated.
    - Tire display wizard was wrong.
    - Performance was lacking, even more with AMD cards.
    - Climate having a strong influence on performance.

In my experience you only give access to a beta, when your internal testing doesn't catch any major problem, and you want to increase the tester base in order to catch infrequent errors, no when you know you have a boatload of problems you haven't yet solved. You damage your image and give a bad impression of your product to newcomers.

Those were my thoughts.

Cheers.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Lgel Newcomers shouldn't be too surprised if things aren't great if they select the BETA.

Most of what you said was already reported in the closed beta. But I think there weren't too many people in the closed beta, so once they knew it ran (yes, it started worse) it probably made sense to have more people testing it, to uncover any more issues and also so they have more people with similar hardware (if two people with similar hardware are getting different results, you can start to assume the worse result might be due to something other than your software).

Considering some of the things that made it through the beta team testing when under ISI, and which broke builds for some people (or entire leagues, forcing them to instruct their drivers to stay on a particular build), I think we should be happy that there is widespread beta testing and an improved reporting process. And of course a more dynamic patch program, with updates most days so far.

We can do that and still have the stable build (dx9 at the moment) for people who just want to play.

John and TonyRickard like this.
  16. ZED

ZED Registered

Ok I did new install and that obviously works.
    I have an issue with the new install, manual gear change downshift won't go past 1st gear into neutral and reverse.

Any ideas ....thanks.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ZED Unassign 'Neutral' in the driving controls. (click it, then press Esc). When you have a neutral assigned you need to use it to get to Neutral, unless you change an option in your player.JSON.

18. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I fully support S397 doing beta testing and sparing leagues problems.
    I have no doubts that the problems with the DX11 version will be solved in the near future, and that the actual beta is still full of debugging code that slows it down.

I just question the timing of the beta (with so many problems known and not solved), and none of what you wrote has changed my point of view (not even the fact that ISI has done worse before).

The gaming industry can ignore lessons learned in the last 20 years of software development and software quality insurance, and reinvent the wheel as many times as it wishes, to it's own perils.

Cheers.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I guess I'm looking at it in terms of they have at least one person wanting to attack the dx11 specific things, and probably wanted more testing and reporting, and the smaller problems (like tyre temperature graphic colours) can be worked on by someone else. So in that sense it would make sense to get started on the big stuff and let someone do the smaller stuff as well.

MarcG likes this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I agree with Lazza, get it out now on more machines to test, only way to progressively fix the worst issues then deal with the minor ones.

Remembering you don't have to download the beta, no ones forcing your hand.