Rfactor 2 just starts once / FFB sometimes missing in game

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by fbiehne, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Hi there,

I acutally got two issues lately with rfactor 2. Perhaps there is an easy solution which I haven’t found yet.

The first time I start rfactor 2 it just starts as expected.
    However if I quit (also out of the launcher) and try to start it again nothing happens. Hitting ctrl-alt-del to check which programs are running it’s still listed though. So, to get into the game again I have to reboot my computer.

Sometimes there’s no ffb when I enter a session. If I quit the game, get back to the launcher and start again the ffb works. Even hitting the "reset ffb" button does not work at all.

I’m running on the latest DX11 beta with VR.

2. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

When you exit the launcher also exit SteamVR so it will work next time. There seems to be a bug when the launcher starts with SteamVR running, at least for me.

This always works for me:

Make sure SteamVR is not enabled
    Start the rF2 launcher
    Start SteamVR manually
    Start single or multi player

If rF2 starts SteamVR automatically I don't get FFB unless I quit back to the launcher and start again.

fbiehne and Clemenca like this.
  3. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Unfortunately the problem is still there, rfactor just won't start.
    When I click single player nothing happens, also the small screen with the rf2 logo is not there.
    However, if I check "force 32bit" rf2 starts, of course without VR.

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

If you open the Taskmanager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) is the launch rFactor.exe or the rFactor2.exe still running?
    If yes, rightclick on it and select "shut down Process" and confirm with "Yes" or "OK", then try again to start rFactor2. You don't have to reboot the computer if Processes still run invisible in the Background, although you have closed them already, just close them manually in the Taskmanager.

5. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

I can't even get it started once. All looks well until it launches the game. Then it's just instant zap back to desktop. Thereafter I can't start it at all. Even after closing steam VR, steam, Oculus library. Nothing in processes to force exit.

Only a reboot can I try the whole cycle again. Just switching to last-stable now to see if the same.

Video settings I'm trying 1920x1080, full screen, no post-process.

6. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Yes, it's running. But I already tried shutting it down via the taskmanager, it still won't start again. Also tried "Auto close launcher", but no difference. So far I just can get it to work when I open it for the first time after starting the pc. It also works if I quit, stay in the launcher and start it again. Strange. o_O I did an integrity check via steam but that did not fix the problem.

7. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

Well, after following the suggested sequence. Steam, rF2, VR - it's finally starting. It seesm theater mode was crashing it?

So great stuff!?

No, I can't get it to display in my HMD. I can see the VR view on screen but nothing in the HMD, just Steam VR with a small box and progress bar thingy. Tried both stable and latest. Same thing. Jump to R3E to see if its HMD issue but that works fine...

On second view I see "rFactor2.exe not responding" in the SteamVR box.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  8. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Sorry to bring this up again.

Thing is: I still can’t get rfactor 2 to start in VR and I don’t know what to do now (every other sim works, that is Iracing, AC, Raceroom).
    Did an integrity check on steam, no luck. Deleted the player.json, no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Or is there something I need to change in the settings etc?
    Once I click the single-player icon in the launcher nothing happens, no rfactor 2 logo screen.
    When I check the processes via Ctrl-Alt-Del I see that rfactor 2 is running...

It’s really frustrating now because I just can’t figure what’s wrong. Next step will be a total wipe of rfactor 2 and a new installation I guess...

9. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Hi there,

I'm still having troubles to launch rfactor 2. It's the only game where that happens.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't work, it is a bit of a lottery.

When trying to launch I get the following message:

rfactor 2 is attempting to launch with the optional parameters shown below.
    " +path=".." "

If I click ok it seems the sim loads but it stops after 2sec and returns to the launcher.

It doesn't matter if I change some settings (VR or no VR for example). I'm using the DX11 beta and already opted in the latest version via Steam (under the beta tab).

I'm clueless right now.