Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks for mentioning this. Are you on Vive or Rift?

2. theSelf

theSelf Registered

Hi all- I don't yet have RFactor2 but notice there's a free demo on steam to try.. Do you know if the demo has the option to opt for the VR and direct x 11 beta version as well or does that only work with the full version of the game? Thank you

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not sure, rfactor 2 is a firm buy even at this point , updates new builds are coming

be sure to run with low settings in the meantime

4. Thomas Wiesel

Thomas Wiesel Registered

I tried that also, but rF2 and SteamVR are than automatically closed without any comment or error. I can only run rF2 in VR like standard where SteamVR starts autom. with rF2. Strange...

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Had a little time for more play tonight, I turned Shadows & Environmental Reflections OFF & Post Effects OFF, PPD 1.4, Player/Textures HIGH all others MEDIUM, Anistropic x4 (AA 0x), 14 AI (14 visible) at Silverstone International with the Civics and not an FPS issue in sight. Totally smooth race start and following laps, happy with that!
    Those first 3 being Off certainly save me FPS, may try Low Post Effects another day but for now it's just fine at that track with that car.
    CPU usage around 45%, GPU 65% (Specs in profile) so wondering if I can squeeze some more juice with that combo, again will try another day.

6. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

vive

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm getting decent usable performance now I'll update first thread with my settings

A surprising one is AF x2
    ( from x16 ) that makes a difference

Shadows off
    Enviro reflection off
    Road reflection low

Got away with post process to low
    AA level 1 ( but no super sample !)
    VR Pixel density 1.6

Good vr experience

8. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

AF has an impact? That's a weird one. Will test later. With those settings can you run 90fps with clouds?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Strange I know , not switched any clouds back on since everything came good but I'll continue testing

Glad I've sorted it
    Running at pixel density 1.6 & textures high

The low AF does make track look slightly smudged but cars etc look great , all looks brill in VR with this setting combination
    I'll update 1st post when fiddled/tested but more
    very happy

A good vr experience is totally possible on this beta release

Ps how do I see fps ? The rf2 one doesn't show
    (I can see performance at mo by it being fluid smooth etc )

10. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Use steam VR's performance monitor and tick display in-game. It is a plot of the frame latency and shows when frames are dropped or reprojection kicks in. The plot is displayed in-game on the backside of a controller (like looking at your watch)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/357285562483095995/

not sure if this works with oculus

vegaguy5555 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Brill thanks

This works for oculus rift (I use) too?

12. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Tip: You can decrease the resolution of the monitor mirror image by decreasing the resolution set in game. However, this will decrease the quality of the UI and the HUD. You may gain some performance

13. Magus

Magus Registered

After going on to the beta, I hadn't subscribed to the DX11 upgraded cars/tracks via the workshop, so whilst I was running my test I was still using the old version of Silverstone. The cars had removed themselves from my car roster when I chose the beta but the tracks were still there & had to manually remove them from my Installed folder.

Anyway what I found is that with 9AI I can use graphical details HIGH apart from track @ MEDIUM, Shadows & Reflections OFF, AFx16, AAx3/PD 1.5, & have 90FPS pretty much all the way through a 12 laps race starting from the back. I also DELETED my player.json file and started afresh.

So it seems that there is a real need for CPU optimisation as by adding one AI more, in parts of the race it caused the GPU to bottleneck and I start to experience half the frames and yet the GPU doesn't go above 60% utilisation. Note this was USF2000 @ Silverstone. I tried the Skip @ Lime Rock Park & found the settings held at 90fps. I then went and tried the Stock car & Dallara at Indianapolis & NOLA and found the game locked at 45fps. These being tracks and cars I don't normally race so I'm going to leave my settings for now and wait for VR optimisation.

Note: Using 3930K with 980Ti

14. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Hi,
    Have a problem to set the screen resolution on video setting in the launcher. S397 says :
    • In the pop up config window check the box ‘VR’.
    • Set your screen resolution to 1920×1080.
    Have maximum of 1280x1024 surely because have a old 4/3 17'' flat screen :/
    There are a lot of pixelation and I think is maybe due to this screen resolution, have an idea ? ;)

15. Magus

Magus Registered

You can only set the resolution to what you have, this only effects the in-game menu and not the game itself.

GaetanL likes this.
  16. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Ok I will test to set with my NVidia setting like in first post of this thread ;)

17. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

You realize 120fps in 2D is not the same as 90fps in VR, right? It's double geometry with minimal computational overlap.
    Good rule of thumb is to have 180fps in 2D for stable 90 in VR with the same settings.

WiZPER likes this.
  18. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Both plots are with lowest possible settings, supersamples = 1.0
    Frame times with clear sky preset
    clear.PNG

frame times with overcast preset
    Overcast.PNG

As you can see on the bottom plot, the CPU frame latency with overcast skies goes through the roof and it drops thousands of frames (every one of those spikes)

This is on the lowest possible RF2 settings. Driving with overcast skies in VR is currently not possible, unless you're happy with ASW, which I don't have as a vive user btw

The Iron Wolf and TonyRickard like this.
  19. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

If you're smart about it all, and are willing to implement nvidia code, you can use a single draw call approach instead of one per eye. You can also use lower resolution in the periphery. And you can not render the whole scene because parts get cut off when you transform to the lens

20. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Hi again, :p

I have an another question. Kart is for me unplayable due to vibration of the head. I would my virtual head stays fixed on the horizon that only car have vibration. It's possible to set this ?