Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

SteamVR -> Run Room Setup, it makes sure the sensor is setup correctly just like in the Oculus Porgram, but RF2 takes the point of reference from SteamVR it seems so that's why you need to set it up in there.

vegaguy5555 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  2. whip

whip Registered

so if you don't have enough room to do roomscale then its not compatible? because if i remember roomscale needs a certain size area or it won't let you do it

or do you mean just setup in general, i.e. standing OR roomscale,

im sure other games don't use a method like this so i don't know why this game would

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You can do it in your seat, there's two options "Room Scale" or "Standing Only", I do the Standing one which works just fine with a seated position. All very straight forward, follow the on screen instructions.

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Oh no. Owning an Oculus Rift I know nothing about SteamVR. Is it OK to only use one sensor (I have two sensors but for simplicity I would like to use only one). Do I have to setup that one sensor in Oculus Home and then in SteamVR too? Or only setup in SteamVR? Well I know nothing.

5. whip

whip Registered

steam vr has a setup pretty much the same as oculus, takes 5 mins and 1 sensor is fine for standing setup, (not sure if 1 sensor is enough for roomscale)

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

OK thanks! Will do then a one sensor standing setup in SteamVR. Should be enough for rfactor2 seating experience I guess.

7. whip

whip Registered

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

one is fine yes

9. osyres

osyres Registered

did i miss something or where is the "hmd reset button" to fix seat postion with the vr headsets ?

10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

ctrl+space

vegaguy5555, fbiehne and Chaka like this.
  11. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

ol...why couldn't they just have a button to assign. Who races with their keyboard stuck to their wheel :D

rosko likes this.
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You can use joystick to key software for that, I use antimicro. Also note SteamVR position might need to be reset as well (once per seated position/sensor position change)

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

14. Purg

Purg Registered

Have only had a quick jaunt around Bathurst in the 2000's - looks like a very nice VR implementation.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all,

I was up & running in no time, lovely experience and brill that VR is now useable in rfactor 2
    after 4hrs of fiddling I need to update the graphic settings pic in header as I am running details to low
    including shadows low , AFx8 , (the settings in that pic was a pre-release guestimate)

however I have set pixel density back to 1.6 in steam (as pic showing the comma & line that has to be added)
    which my usual setting, I think this is fairly high for rfactor 2 as this first beta release seems resource hungry
    users with lower spec systems might get away with 1.1 to 1.2 (I use a 1080ti)

going to do some tweeks to reduce mirror loading (they seem highly detailed)

roll on optimisations ( iracings first VR release was not as good as after a few updates )

PS I dont run with AI except maybe 1 in a practice session ,
    I usually only race online which I still need to test

WiZPER likes this.
  16. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

So do you need a 1080 and above to run rFactor 2 in VR? Well that's a shame, considering all the others are perfectly playable with a 970 as long as you lower the graphics

17. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

With VR ticked I have no FFB, if I untick it I have FFB. Any one else?

18. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

As it says in the patch notes, there is a bug with that. You need to open the launcher, then launch SteamVR manually from Steam, and then enter the game

WiZPER likes this.
  19. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Ah, thanks!

20. Magus

Magus Registered

W10 Creators Update, 980ti, Drivers 381.89 & my finding so far when testing with 19AI around SIlverstone:

Reflections KILL performance even at LOW, I set them to OFF
    I have all settings on MEDIUM & AFx8.
    AA = 2
    PD = 1.5
    PP Effects = LOW or OFF doesn't make that much difference

This gives me a steady 45fps at the start and stays like that through the race even when the AI spread out. I've noticed that my GPU performance isn't fully utilised (40-50%) and my CPU (3930K @ 4.7Ghz) remains around 15-17% utilisation rate.

Tonight I'm going to try and reach for 90FPS with a full grid starting with reducing PD &/or AA & then if that doesn't work, I will work on the details.