First RF2 VR pics posted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Everyone is different obviously. But the point is, now that you know what VR is like, whenever the resolution goes higher you will be more than likely to jump on board, right? Eye tracking and foveated rendering will make this come much sooner, and if Abrash' predictions are correct, by the time Gen 3 drops in about 5 years or so, the image quality will be adequate for the majority of people

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Anybody ever bother to find out if Dramamine helps the motion sickness in VR?

3. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I've read some people going that route to get their VR-legs, and they were always happy with the results

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I would be interested in wich Sim you played and your headmovement settings? That's also something that I still wonder regarding rF2. I allways use the head movement to give me visual cues of g-forces. Do people turn it off completely in racing sims using VR or how does it work for you guys?

5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

i always turn visual cues completely off in VR cause they are artificial. you don't want them, like you don't want artificial cues when driving a car in real life.

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The bigger issue is related to the disconnect from what we see to what's not felt in our vestibular system; in VR, we generally don't have the physical movements that our brain associates with our vision (We trust our vision the most) normally in Reality and this can cause Sensory Conflict in our brain.

There are some variations in how VR-sickness affect users and symptoms may be delayed in some cases. I have had friends try VR (for a bit too long) and think they are totally fine, only to be sick the next day. Those new to VR should always make a short test run session - even if they feel fine and then wait for a day or two to see if symptoms turn up.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

was long ago in GTR2, I never used headmovements, always turn it all off

8. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

That delayed reaction isn't common at all or else people would be talking about it, and they aren't. What we know is the worst that can be done is trying to get used to VR by pushing through the sickness. Short sessions stopping as soon as discomfort starts is the way to go if tolerance needs to be built. I believe the majority of people has the potential to get used to it, the same way the majority of people got used to First Person Shooter sickness. However, there will always still be a minority that can't and will get sick until the tech world finds a way to trick the inner ear

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    From Marcel

10. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

All these screens are looking pretty sweet

2 days let's go boys

11. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Did you just assume their gender?!

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

13. Depco

Depco Registered

I wonder what that SJW thinks of being a constant meme?

14. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

It's triggered of course

15. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Bet you weren't running supersampling

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

He was, he even had pixel per something at as high as it could go? Im not sure about that as ive never played with that setting but he said this was as good as he could get it. He had a GTX 1080 powering his system and knows his stuff.

17. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

f
    fair enough. For me using high super samples, the shimmer is eliminated and you're only left with the fundamental limitation of the screen resolution (in the distance mostly). Were you using post effects btw? Sometimes blooms etc don't come through very nicely in VR. Better to have them off. I agree though, its not perfect. However it is perfectly usable for racing.

18. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Pretty much identical perspectives. I guess Oculus limits how high the super sampling goes? It's a weird line, because at least with Vive, you can set the super sampling scale as high as you'd like. Obviously rendering at an insane resolution will kill performance, but there's no limit.

My major issue with the current resolutions is the aliasing/shimmering. And with AC, like with all VR, if I set the super sampling high enough, I can get rid of it. Which then allows me to totally buy in.

And as you also referenced (I think that's where bloom is), I tun off post processing in AC. It completely destroys the visuals. The road becomes a reflective mess that overpowers everything else. It's just terrible in VR.

19. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Some Rift users report that certain super-sampling multipliers are more or less effective than others; there's an interesting thread in the Oculus forums showing output comparisons using the direct-output image feature. With the Rift CV-1, a setting of 1.4 seems to offer the best overall image quality / performance and something happens beyond that with pixels where the image quality seems to deteriorate or some artifacts may be revealed. So - at least with the Rift, more SS beyond a certain level doesn't necessarily equal better image quality.

Narrowbackwing and PaulG like this.
  20. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

Does anyone know what VR headsets will work with rf2? I know what I have previously said about VR but I came across a oculus dk2 for $200 and I am really hoping it works with the rf2 update.