First RF2 VR pics posted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 12, 2017.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

and:
    r/virtualreality
    r/simracing

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You would have no choice if the broadcast cameras showing races don't have infinite focus range.

WiZPER likes this.
  3. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Like a real tv retransmission ;)

vittorio likes this.
  4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[​IMG]
    One more... one more...

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

lol when scrolling down half of this screen shot appeared and I thought it was a pic of the real thing you usually see in racing news sites

6. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

I will not sleep anymore because of the teasing of dom :D

7. melanie

melanie Registered

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Why are people allways putting words into my mouth, even if I said that I have tried VR myself and enjoyed it. It is hilirious. If you had actually carefully read what I said earlier, you would have noticed that I would spent my money on other stuff if I had it. If one of the current VR headsets would cost the same as a really good monitor I would still pick the monitor - for the simple reason that the new monitor benefits me in 100% of my time on the PC and not just 10% and next to the fact that I don't need lenses for the monitor. If you actually use the PC just for racing/playing flightsims, it makes alot more sense compared to when you do the stuff that I do with my PC - that's a wide range of gaming, working on my university stuff, music recording and modding. And especialy for modding a huge screen is much better than a VR device. If I spent my money on something I have a clear vision of what the products needs to offer and currently I am simply not convinced by the quality/price ratio. Sorry, if that is not your way of thinking but people can have different opinions about a product ... that's life. Tbh, I would currently spent 500 bucks rather on a nice journey with some friends than a device that is in it's early development stage. So much about that. What you predict of what will be in a few years is speculation and wishfull thinking, and I even share some of those dreams. But I for one try to judge stuff more objectively even if I am pro VR. There were many, many examples of "But it can't fail", some of them even connected to the development of rF2.

Now back to topic: the previews and the videos look pretty damn good if ypu ask me. The improvements for the replays should benefit the leagues broadcasting their races alot. I just hope that the freezes got solved. :)

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

vid looks great, I think VR users will really want to turn off any blur effects & tone down any other HDR type effects
    ( AC is not really a sim I use but I'm mentioning this from my experience with that + other VR users did same )

Monaco track for AC looks like a very poor conversion but once some of the mild effects turned on (mainly at low setting & these are effects that exist in-built within the AC graphics engine ) it hides a multitude of sins and the track then suddenly looks presentable

10. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

11. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Yeah, except the only reason you have to choose is because you don't have money for everything and have to prioritize

I prefer to have both and then still go on a nice journey with some friends. All I'm saying is, if you had unlimited money, you would own one. Therefore it's a price/quality problem which was my point all along

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Virtual reality sickness is a very real thing with symptoms like general discomfort, headache, stomach awareness, nausea, vomiting, pallor, sweating, fatigue, drowsiness, disorientation etc. etc……… I used to feel dizzy and sick every time I tried early VR hardware but those moments have diminished greatly with CV1. I don't know anyone who hasn't had at least a few issues with fatigue, nausea or wooziness over time. I am not so bothered by faster-moving racing games, but they still happen, even to me and I consider myself a seasoned VR veteran.

"VR is still more than anything a toy for a small minority of marketers and tech enthusiasts" The hardware still needs to improve a lot or maybe human beings will always need to take breaks when using VR. :rolleyes:

Eddy likes this.
  13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

the only reason you want VR is that you can't afford to buy your way into "F1/Indycar/Nascar/whatever you like", so what's your point really? :p

I can't remember, and not in the mood to scroll back and find out, why this topic is an issue..... VR is comming, so why are we discussing it, page after page after page?

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Although i didn't encounter any discomfort at all using my CV1 in racing games, you are right @Ari Antero. There are lots of people who would love to use VR and even bought a headset but can't get used to it and feel sick for a couple of days after using VR.
    Most of them even sell their headsets because of it.

Some love the tech some hate it, others find it not good enough yet because of picture quality vs price. Imho it doesn't matter just enjoy our hobby in the way you like it, no need to discuss it to the bone with pro's and cons. It is coming into rF2 no matter what.

My only advice would be: try before you buy so you won't be disappointed because you don't like the picture quality or get sick of it.

marmagas and Ari Antero like this.
  15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes Eddy good advise :"try before you buy so you won't be disappointed because you don't like the picture quality or get sick of it"
    I hope people don`t misunderstand me, pictures are nice and I am rely looking forward to DX11/VR release. :)

Eddy likes this.
  16. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom also used to make people sick when they first came out. Last time I checked FPS games were still doing pretty well

Since a lot of real drivers also simrace, no, it's not a money problem

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

People getting sick when playing FPS games is still a topic, even if you think that it is not the case or a joke. There are warnings for people with epileptic tendency for a reason and I can tell you that atleast one person of my family has problems with playing computer games for more than half an hour, let alone watching other people playing games. There is also a reason why I switch of head bob in ArmA, because it makes me feel sick even on a 2D screen.

The problem with 3D headsets is, that your eye has no static orientation from the real world and is allmost completely surrounded by the gameworld and it's physics. I noticed that phenomenon especialy when driving the ground vehicle and jumping over the hills in Elite Dangerous due to the different gravity settings and connected visuals cues. As I was sitting on a chair on planet Earth playing with the headset my brain told me and my body a gravity of 9,81 m/s^2, where the game and it's visual representation reflected a much lower gravity. You can tell what you want, but something like that is not to be underestimated unless you play surrounded by water. I simply had to stop playing.

For rF2 that shouldn't be a big problem though, unless you take Flugplatz flatout :D

Regarding the financing of stuff I seem to share a different value judgement than some other people. Even if I have the money to buy something, that doesn't mean that I buy it regardless. Some people allways have to buy a new mobil phone, where I take one from one of my friends who doesn't need it anymore. That's called sustainability and I regard that as one of the highest values. When people throw away their first generation of VR headstes, I will pick one up from the pile. It's not allways a matter of priority even if you can afford it all :)

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

depending on how fast I move the camera I get dizzy playing GTA V or Tomb Raider for example :D tho if I play it long enough it goes away
    I once had to leave a race around Sonoma full course because of that, all the ups and downs and corners :confused:
    Even if I can use VR I would not buy it now. Waiting other people play guinea pig first to see the side effects of long term use before I get into it. If there is any it should be rather serious, not worth put my health in risk for a game ;) it sure is an interesting tech tho
    And also the price $$$$ right now it's not worth the price IMO for the resolution and framerate. It's like the 1080ti card.. waste of money with the new ones already arriving with different memory. Yeah I know they release stuff every year, but paying for cards with GDDR5x when HBM2 was around the corner is stupid, and now that they annouced the GDDR6 ^^

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

For me money is not an issue , if i want it i will get it .
    I have just recently tried a Vive for a couple of hours in AC at a clients house and i can now firmly say , i wont be getting VR his time round .
    The resolution is just far to low and i cant get past all the flicker/shimmer (i play at 4k and still the shimmer in AC really annoys me) .
    No matter how many people say "but the immersion" cant fix just how poor the visual fidelity is right now .
    If you made a VR purchase and have adjusted to that visual level , good for you and i hope there are no health issues like stated above so the next gen VR really kicks up a notch so that i can enjoy what a lot of people are talking about now but with at least 4k resolution (even that probably wont be enough) .

20. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

They are selling brand new DK2 sets on eBay for £100

It's almost tempting at that price to use it as a VR trial.

It's not as good as the CV1 obviously, but at that price?