First RF2 VR pics posted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 12, 2017.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Well, I don't believe that forum polls are representative at all on their own. What I do know though is, that if people really demand something, they will either voice their opinion/demand in a forum/survey or more importantly with their wallet. And both things haven't happened so far, despite there being sims and games that offer VR support allready. If you can counter those numbers by statistical evidence, then I am open to be educated by you. I believe in numbers and not people telling me, that I am misguided without bringing any factual evidence to the table on their own. If you consider a market share of less than 1% on Steam alone after one year a big boom then we certainly have different understandings of what the term "demand" really means. I think people here are misunderstanding me a bit. I certainly know that the immersion is an important factor and that it is a great experience using VR. I am just not believing in hypes, that's all and it needs to be seen if it is a product for the mass market. It's not the first effort of trying to establish 3D devices.

@Magus: I had a bit of economics and statistics at university so I will let you know what I think of product life cycles and what I give about long term predictions and forecasts. It's to be expected that sale numbers are quite low at the beginning with a product entering the market and that the price is high in return. Thatswhy I said, let's see how it evolves in the next five years and how it works out for rF2. I don't know it nor do you and it's not as simple as lowering the price gradualy over time, as that is dependend on many different factors that we don't know yet. Long term predictions over 5 years are speculation as rF2 itself shows and nobody knows if VR will establish itself as the next big thing on the consumer market or if it will stay an expensive toy exclusive to wealthy gamers or for medical purposes and stuff like that. It all depends on how big devs and publishers in the entertainment segment pick up the technology, wich is a bit tricky due to the high risk involved currently. The reason for that is, that they need to expand the production of VR devices at one point or another to reduce the production costs (economics of scale) and that depends on how they improve their technology, how and if VR support gets implemented in the different titles and most importantly how the consumers react to this. Looking at the amount of people using VR devices currently I guess that they are still investing alot of money into the production and product engeneering and to lower that, you have to enter the mass market at one point or another to get the price down. It could really well be that we don't see Oculus Rift devices in five years anymore and that the Vive studios can play the monopoly card, wich in general isn't good for development. Who knows. Most projections and forecasts depend on data from the past so I can only laugh when I read such websites: https://www.statista.com/topics/2532/virtual-reality-vr/

Why it makes sense for smaller devs like Kunos or Studio 397 to invest in the technology is something that I allready pointed out: the ratio between return and investment is much higher and you have bigger chances on the sim market to reach people, because that's where VR devices make alot of sense in first place compared to games like Battlefield or CoD. I only know one person, who owns a VR headset and that's someone playing flightsims. He also uses it in Warthunder to play simulator battles, wich gives him a big advantage. The whole problem is, that there aren't many people playing simulator battles, so he is in niche within a niche. Let's see if those headsets are the next VW Beetle or if they stay a Posche 911. Over and out :)

2. Magus

Magus Registered

Okay, with that understanding and business acumen, do you know how much companies like Facebook and Google spend on market research and analysis to understand the market they are in? To have an understanding of what different segments of the population's attitudes and perceptions are towards a service/product?
    But this data is what you are saying we don't know or can't predict . No we don't but what i see is more companies getting heavily invested in VR & more developers investing in it. So my deduction from that is that the data that they have must be positive for them to carry on investing heavily in the research and development of the technology. We now have MS going into VR & AR with Acer, LG, dell all developing headsets? Why? This competition will fuel more variations, technology, and wider price spectrum as the innovation diffuses to the masses.

I think you are doing businesses injustice by having us think they have such short term goals. It's a long term investment. ISI never touched VR as they were unsure how the market would react. It's reacted positively and now S397 are doing everything they can to be on level with the competition.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

I have no doubts VR would be fantastic. I would love the immersion and if I had one I would probably never go back to a monitor. That is not the issue I have with it. It's the price. Even used ones on ebay are selling anywhere from $400-800 which is rediculous if you ask me. Eventually yes I will own one but will I make it a point to go out and find one? No I won't. In a realistic sense for me in my case, I only get to race two nights a week and while I have a VR ready pc I can't justify spending that amount of money on a VR headset for the limited use I would get out of it and by the time I can say I used it enough to justify the price the next upgraded top of a line VR headset would already be out for $899 making what I have obsolete for all intensive purposes. So it would always be an uphill battle.
    I do find it funny though watching all the VR posts and the hype associated with it when the vast majority don't have it, nor will have it anytime soon. It's kind of like all the hype dirt racing got for iracing. Suddenly everyone and their grandma was all excited like they have been waiting all thier life to race on dirt and they have had this racing hole in their life that was finally filled. While I am happy for them I don't need it shoved down my throat with every forum post. That is not saying the Rfactor2 forum is filled with VR posts but you get my point. Also like someone said earlier I'm sure the vast majority of people are more excited for dx11 and the new UI than they are for VR.

4. whip

whip Registered

the prices of vr headset will drop, other big companies like samsung etc will no doubt develop their own and competition will drive down prices like anything else

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

To be fair, there are three threads about VR since march 17 so a forum full of VR is not be shoved down any ones throats and I don't think I have seen any gloating towards people that can't afford it.

I have seen many more posts in the past about expensive servo wheels that cost a lot more than a rift but no complaints from other people about that.

I agree that companies are providing VR support in their software because they see the benefit, sure not all users see the same benefit with VR but take VR away and users will still argue forever about a roadmap because it doesn't have a feature they want. Anyone on this forum right now is a racing snob compared to the other 40,000 owners that are not here. Some people are complaining that the rift isn't a feature they personally want because they want better physics or whatever. The majority of racers that have bought the game and never appear on the forums dont care much about all of those features either. Not many people here are representing the masses when they start talking about their pet wanted feature.

Personally I am glad to see VR, there are a lot of people looking for good VR content. People branching in to genres they have never touched because they cant get enough VR.

6. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Citation needed. Last rumors a few months ago said HTC and oculus have sold over 750k headsets combined, so we are approaching the million. IRacing and all the other sims won't have another half a million users to add to AC users so yes, VR is still bigger than simracing and it's just starting. The difference will only grow and grow

And hitm4k3r, all that palaver and you are just trying to tell yourself current VR isn't good enough to be worth it and that's why you don't own one, when in reality it's clear the reason is you just don't have the money for it right now. I completely understand the prices are too high at the moment especially if you aren't working, but that doesn't mean you have to downplay VR to convince yourself that you don't need it because it isn't good enough
    Microsoft is releasing VR headsets starting $299 by the end of the year. I hope they are at least Rift quality or above especially the screen. Tracking is much less important for simracing and lower prices will mean faster adoption and more immersive solutions coming out.

In a few years we will see our real hands in the game grabbing the wheel and the UI will be controlled by pressing buttons in a virtual screen in front of you while you see yourself still sitting in the car in the pits, no more reaching for keyboard.
    We will also be able to go side by side with another driver after a race and naturally wave at them and give a thumbs up and see how they wave back and do the same. VR has so much potential that it just can't fail anymore, the seed has been planted and now we get to see it grow

Your post doesn't make any sense

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Magus likes this.
  7. whip

whip Registered

VR and racing games go so well together that its implementation not only benefits your current user base that has the headsets, it's also a massive marketing tool atm, i'd bet that there is alot more interest and more ppl that actually have heard of rfactor now that VR is associoted with it

8. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

PSVR also sold 900,000 in it's first four months. I have no idea what its up to in the couple months since then.

Kokomo likes this.
  9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[​IMG]
    Another from Dom

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

11. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

12. Depco

Depco Registered

OMG!!!!! That looks f'ing awesome. Why can't we get a few videos like that from S397? Probably because we would all loose our collective minds. Of course as is said in teh entertainment business, "Always leave them wanting more."

13. Karei

Karei Registered

I don't know, I really hate the difference between the main cars in focus and the background so unrealistically out of focus. I hope it's easy to turn it off.

ericRacer and David Kolody like this.
  14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

wow, great video. i love it! big hug for the graphics team :D

15. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

It really needs video promo to renewal of RF2 it must flood the media !! @Marcel Offermans

16. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Jesus.....these guys do a awesome job. This is looking too good to be real :)

17. Magus

Magus Registered

I think part of that job will be down to the users (ie. us), look at AC, the amount of 'fan'-made videos showing off AC's content, graphics, & physics in action. Unfortunately out of my remit as nor do I have a Youtube channel or ever used a piece of video editing software. But hopefully there will be a few talents amongst us.

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    tiffarno and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  19. filippu

filippu Registered

I'd hope so too. It's overdone especially on TV cameras. If I wanted to see blurry, I'd just drive without my glasses.

AlanK and Karei like this.
  20. Magus

Magus Registered

I'll be happy to do that, I will also post on AV Forums in both the VR & PC Gaming section & it would be nice to have some gameplay video attached to show what is being offered.

r/oculus
    r/vive
    r/virtual_reality
    r/oculus_rift
    r/oculus_VR