Latest Roadmap Update - April 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie Build 1108, the current one, is already steam only. So that difficulty has already passed, apart from those people who didn't know anything about the steam thing. I doubt that includes many people already in leagues. It's easy to update, it's easy to step back to a previous version (actually I'm not sure about this server-side; but a server admin can surely take the precaution of taking backups), so it's actually easier now than it ever was.

I think you're responding in the context of Depco's post. Unfortunately he seems to be looking for a reason to find fault, and misinterpreted me saying (3 times!) that the dx11 build will be compatible with the dx9 one.

2. Depco

Depco Registered

Lazza, I am not trying to find fault. I am simply stating my thoughts on the Beta build. If I can update the server and then the members of the league can choose which version they want to run AND still be able to connect to the server then I am satisfied my worries are baseless.

When it comes down to this update my only major concern is that my Leagues members can attend the races that we have worked so hard to setup. The rest of the update not withstanding does not have any effect on the membership's ability to race. It is only client side graphics and computing power.

3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

And that concern is exactly why we are being very cautious about introducing a big update without any fallback. By calling this update an "open beta" and making sure that it is compatible with the DX9 build we are confident that we are not causing any problems for people that have all kinds of league and non-league races planned.

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Rf2 is in good hands,every post from the team fills me with more joy and confidence that rf2 will finally reach its full potential

Ernie, Comante, rubennaatje and 9 others like this.
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Rfactor2 always seemed to stay in a permanent state of beta

To me the work 397 are doing seems to be refinements & sorting loose ends

Newly introduced features called beta
    No doubt they'll be some bugs etc

Louis likes this.
  6. blanes

blanes Registered

Been away from rF2 for far too long as I got hooked on VR back in 2013 ... extremely excited and nearly jumping out of my skin for the new update coming in May ... what fantastic news !!! :D

Adrianstealth likes this.
  7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Wouldn`t it be possible, to release the DX11 Beta as 2nd rF2? As e.g. Reiza did with their AMS and AMS Beta...

emha76 likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

More clarification yesterday.

Current build doesn't change.

A new beta branch will be available to everyone (Steam Library -> rF2 -> Properties -> BETAS) which will use Dx11, but is completely compatible with the dx9 build - can host, can join, can play with, etc.

The build number isn't changing, and build numbers won't change in future except where it indicates versions that won't work with each other.

Ernie, Marc Collins, Emery and 3 others like this.
  9. Magus

Magus Registered

7 more sleeps people!!! Can't wait to get back in the Skippie and in VR!!

10. patchedupdemon

Stop it,I've been trying not to count lol

11. AceLain

AceLain Registered

So that means that the update with the fix for the IA using left lane before pit will not be fix on May 1st. Thank for the info Lazza

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

All seems to good to be true
    It's bank holiday Monday in England too
    Might go for BT20 on historic spa as the first session !

Hoping to do a deadicated VR settings post over next few days to help people set sensible settings too

blanes likes this.
  13. Chillisteak

Chillisteak Registered

Isn't it May 1st yet?

AceLain likes this.
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Best approach. Those with mods will have to carefully apply them to the beta to see if anything breaks. No other better way to do it, though, without potentially screwing-up everyone's fun at the same time.

15. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Thanks for the new road map. The night lights looks very nice.
    But the afternoons or sun-rises in rF2 seem more the Sun is dimming down than its rays are becoming oblique. I felt the environment as a Solar Eclipse instead of a evening. There's no enough sun-power. Regardless the time of day, I fell some lack of overall exposure in rF2
    scenes.

[​IMG]

Picture on top is the original, below is overexposed. The shadows length is enough to simulate the time of the day, we don't need to dark the overall scene that much.

Look this image from another sim (which is times worse than rFactor in general terms but the GFX are top-notch):

[​IMG]

The contrast from the sunny areas to the shadows makes the immersion. The areas where the sun is illuminating is still clear even being a 18h00 picture. The shadowed areas are blueish which is right IMHO.

I'm confident rF2 will massively improve after this main DX11 realease but there's something wrong with the light model. It seems the Sun is 50% weaker in terms of light emission. The same goes to the picture below:

[​IMG]

The modelling looks excelent, but please notice the lack of contrast from the shadowed building and the lightened white wall. Again, it looks like a solar eclipse scene. And, talking about a solar eclipse, look at the image below:

[​IMG]
    The shadowed zones turns to blue due the sky reflection. We could emulate this effect in Rfactor 1 since we were allowed to edit the environment colours. It's no longer possible in rF2.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    felirrari, Ernie, Ozzy and 6 others like this.
  16. patchedupdemon

I've been trying to put my finger on the word to describe the lighting in the those screenshots,you hit the nail on the head with solar eclipse

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Remember to see with your eyes, not what a camera records. In my experience, a camera will pick up more light as twilight descends compared to our eyes.

daguru likes this.
  18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Rfactor2 an eye simulator? Can myopia and farsightedness simulate and cataract the eye? The camera should work as a camera and not as an eye. With its speed of exposure.

19. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Maybe you're right but still... even considering eyes, I can see a brighter world when I go for a walk than I see in rF2 environments whatever be the time of day. I'm aware albedo maps can play a important role on that, but still... I cannot measure or mathematically prove, it's just my feeling telling me: this looks dark.

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

No sorry. You are just applying an arbitrary overexposure. Shot on Mores is with sun almost gone, if you apply that level of extreme over exposure you'll end up with a sky totally blown and white stuff glooming.

We are not doing pictures. It's a gameplay, so AutoExposure has to work inside a small range of stops or you'll get a crazy AE pumping.