rFactor1 to rFactor 2 Conversion Tutorial - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Finally figured out how to control shinines of cars.

Mauro likes this.
  2. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Thanks again!
    Just released F1 1975 mod. This thread was helpfull at beginning. Recommed it to all who wants to learn converting. :)

adamfarmer likes this.
  3. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I'm trying to get an rf1 car into rf2. I've decided to try the apex camaro and also ISI camaro Physics just to get the car in game and absorb the process. I noticed that after extracting the main.mas there is a PM file and also a chassis.ini
    The HDV file have commands lines that call for both the .pm and .ini files.
    I thought chassis.ini was the new way of handling chassis parameters. Ive also look at some online tools to create a chassis.ini from the hdv,pm,tbc and,tgm files and another one to create an rf2 engine.ini from the .hdv, gear.ini, engine.ini files of the rf1.
    My question is if having the rf2 chassis.ini allows you to delete the .pm file and the command line linked to it into the .hdv

Any feedback about the online tools used would be appreciated. http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/

regards

4. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Yes, you dont need to define the .pm file if you have chassis.ini.

Regarding the tools, learn how to use this:
    http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/rF2-Physics-Calculator-V0.22-FISI-2012.ods

And also see these if you haven't already:
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/introduction-to-physics-tool-ptool-and-flexible-chassis/
    http://isiforums.net/f/blog.php
    That blog is also transferred to studio397 site but I find the old sites blog easier to read and navigate, there are also some useful comments.

5. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Thank you!!! Yes, i've seen those threads. In the future i would get into that nightmare excell jajaj

6. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Making improvements with rf1 to rf2 car convertion. I managed to get the car showing perfect in the spinner.. but on the track there is a serius problem with the wheels. I tried the import/export the wheels as models one by one, and the problem remained. I think I set the correct pivots points (I'm not shure about this :/ )
    I've also tried playing with frontWheelTrackRange and RearWheelTrackRange values... and LeftWheelBase and RightWheelBase. When putting this values at ¨0.0¨ the game crashed while starting engine.

The car runs fine on the track. Tire model temperatures and chassis work well

Im out of options here. Heres a link to a youtube video to see what is actually happening.
    regards!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. toebee

toebee Registered

Pretty sure this is your problem. Bad pivot points. Must be centered to wheel

8. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I try (0,0,0) pivot points and front tires got fixed but they were outside infront of the car. Also pivot points centered on each wheel and it looked exactly as the video. Do you know how to fix this with 3dsimed?

thanks!

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

All gmt included into the same INSTANCE have to have the same Pivot Point.
    If not, you get Results like that.
    If you load all gmt that are in the Tire and Spindle Instances "as Objects" into 3dsimed and export them as Objects again, all Pivots are set to 0,0,0.
    That is what i would suggest to start with.

juanarg70 and toebee like this.
  10. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Many thanks!!
    So, just to clarify this. the pivot point should be different than (0,0,0) on each wheel. And brake caliper, brakedisk, rim, tires etc should have the same pivot point. I saw someone getting the pivot point by clicking in the center of the wheel.. lets say in the center of the brakedisk (My whhels .gmt includes in one file the tire, rim and brakedisk) Then right click + Edit point.. In the tool bar I could click on ¨MS¨ and then go to edit/set pivot point.. and hit MR to get the previus point as the pivot point. I dont know if this method worked on an older 3dsimed version or what.. it didnt work for me.
    Another problem I`m having is that my carbody.gmt has a low quality cockpit included. while at cockpit view it loads the cockpit.gmt and the bodycar as well. So I get a low quality cockpit mixed with the good quality one. I know it has something to do with the .gen file.. I read in another forum that rf2 manage this quite different from rf1.
    Cockpit instance do not have a line to load the carbody.gmt and I cannot see any mayor difference between my rf1 gen (currently used in this rf2 mod) and the rf2 gen used in e. g. corvette ISI. When I get home I will attach the gen files.
    regards!!

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

With regard to the low poly cockpit. You'll need to chop out the low poly cockpit from the rest of the exterior body. You can do this using 3dsimed, and then purge the faces.

So your LOD0 should just be the exterior only. Then use the LODs to add the low poly cockpit when the car is far enough away that you don't need the high detail one.

Hope that makes sense, it's late here!

juanarg70 likes this.
  12. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Set the pivot point to 0,0,0 in wheels,discs and calipers,then all it goes work good,no need to set the pivot point to each part,only the steering wheel and the hemet needs a pivot point,weel thats the way i always done and no problems :)

juanarg70 likes this.
  13. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I think I can call this a definite improvement but not a solution...
    thank you so much. There is still something not perfect in here

The wheels are a little bit off position. Could this be a bad pivot point from de car body or another gmt?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Check the wheelbase and wheeltrack in HDV,if you dont know the exact measures put them in 0 to,maybe it can help because i dont see anything more..for now hehe :)

juanarg70 likes this.
  15. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

uufff.. thats exactly what I was hoping to avoid. So there is no other way around on this issue??. Lets say I chop the low poly cockpit. Then in the gen file into SLOT ID I'll be calling to body.gmt and cockpit.gmt.. (so that in the outside view I dont get an empy cokpit).. is this correct?
    Would you recomend another sofware to edit the body.gmt?
    Thanks!!!

16. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

that fixed it. editing the cockpit now.Thanks!!!!

17. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I think its almost done. Just a couple of details to sort out.
    I cant activate virtual rearview in cockpit. I've already have the player.json modified and always used virtual mirror in cockpit with other cars. has this a solution through the cockpitinfo.ini?----> Mirrors of the car are black and I still cannot get virtual rearview mirrors-----> FIXED!

Theres also something wrong with the gearbox and/or engine. I`ve converted it from rfactor1 and it runs like a charm but while downshifting its like the clutch is not engaging. The clutch works fine at cero speed but lets say that after a straight I Iet go of the throttle and press the clutch; if I downshift the engine will pick up revs. Any suggestion on this? ---> changing semi automatic=0 into .hdv driveline section appears to fix this issue.

I manage to resize the 71/31 - 19x13 .tgm of the isi camaro to be like this racing league specification 65/27 16x10 and they work out great.. But the TBC in the structure that calls for each tgm have values like radius and width that look like the 71/31 tires. Width = 32 and Radius = 03525.
    Do I need to change this values to make it realistic. will those changes crash the game or something? ----> Changed this values with the ones I got from a gear calculator that needed my tire size. it didn't crash. :)

I also get some tarmac reflection over windows decals. Some cars look really reflective and others look just fine. Is this related to the albedo texture?. It has to be something with the teams dds i think.
    Hope this help me and others!!

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  18. SmashingPants67

SmashingPants67 Registered

I tried to convert a car, it worked until I click "RACE", its wheels disappear and it doesn't move until I switch to AI mode, then I switch back to player mode and the issue returns (no wheels and no move, its wheels appears and the car only moves both when AI controlled), can anyone help me?

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Have you tried to use the online tools from chris/redapg?
    You can find them here http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/
    Use the tool with the red button, follow the instructions and feed it with the rfactor 1 files.
    You should get a set of files with that the car should work in rfactor 2.

20. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Did you use an rf2 TBC and tgms? with propper calling of the tgms inside the tbc and HDV?
    Try this:
    First go to all the wheel gmt's and make sure they all have pivot point: 0,0,0
    Then, go to the car HDV file and into the SUSPENSION section, make sure to change the wheel base or track wheel base. I cant remember exactly the name of the lines you have to change (there are four lines in total that need to be changed). Take another look at the tutorial, but you have to put those in ¨0¨ so as the game could take the wheel base from the graphical objects gmts.
    Let me know if that helps. regards