Best "F1 2017" mod at present?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by BobDobbs, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That engine power is already including the hybrid system at max boost, right?

2. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

In RF2 is not possible to get an hybrid system....so, the power is from an engine with turbo. And that's all....this is a limit of RF2. And also the boost system is not properly working ( while in RF1 did ).
    Therefore, people must realize that everything is made for F1 in the actual RF2 is only a compromise.
    You can drive a car with the "effect" of an hybrid car, not a car with a real ERS etc etc. The proof is that also a good RF1 file engine, without turbo effect, may give You in RF2 the effect of an actual real F1 engine

Guimengo likes this.
  3. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Guimengo, yes. ERS and Turbo are implied in the Power Curve.

Is nobody else troubled by the RPM progression in the higher gears?
    I shift by ear, so it is impossible to have a good lap with the Nico_OW_17 mod, as the RPM's come up too soon and stay there. Like a Continuous Velocity Transmission. --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

The F1Fanatic mod progresses up the RPM range normally, so Im not sure what part of which file is altered to make this happen.

Anyone who's owned a manual transmission in real life, it feels just like when your clutch is bad, and is slipping.
    Other than that, the car feels good, handling wise. But so does F1Fanatic if you put some work into the setup.

I really liked what you did with HJK_2016, Nico, and I believe we can reach this point with the '17 mod. I hope to help in any way that I can.

4. rocketjockeyr6

Here is a back to back comparison to illustrate the point.
    Each is running the Default setup. Notice how the Fanatic mod, when I shift to 8th very early, RPM's rise nice and slow from 8,700 to 9,500 as I accelerate. With Nico_mod, RPM's would go straight up to ~11,000 and stay there.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It is a slipping clutch; its a setting in the .hdv ;)

6. rocketjockeyr6

"It is a slipping clutch; its a setting in the .hdv"

Anyone know how to fix this?
    I tried this;
    1- Extract F12017.hdv from the .mas file with rF2 .mas editor.
    2- Change "clutch torque" from 600 to 700 and save the file. (same name)
    3- Delete original F12017.hdv file from .mas file & import the modified .hdv file & save the .mas
    All with the same names and same location. When I open rF2, the mod is no longer visible in the vehicle selection, but shows that it is installed in the packages directory of the launcher...

Any help is appreciated.
    rocket

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

8. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

I agree that actually all propesed files may be improved, since they are still in "WIP"....and tests are needed.
    Formula Fanatic mod is good mod, and i like it....the proof is that i used it for my Physics testing.
    However, I disagree with some features of this mod.
    For example: tyres have an exaggerated static grip, and cars are remaing with a "rail" effect that, in my opinion, is not realistic.
    Although here someone seems to prefer the original Physics-engine set, I want remark some things:
    my files are featuring realistic data for the car ( weight is 728 kg, and not 792....); inertia values are proprtioned to a F1 2017 car and the HDV is based on a flex chassis, with correct widthtrack and realistic wheelbase ( 3580 mm ).
    The engine is Rf2 fashion, and is reporting a rev limit to 12500 rpm ( not 13750 like someone told ), with a power of 932 Cv ( 919 hp ), that is a realistic value ( while in my opinion 703 hp are few for a F1 2017 ).
    Unfortunatelly, RF2 is not managing in the correct way the torque of engine with turbo featuring more than 900 CV. Furthermore, in Rf2 is not possible to set a correct engine map.....
    After this, if You want, try my last version of Minimod f1 2017, with my Phtsics set.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/y227qd4gys7x07a/OW_Formula_2017_v.0.96.rfcmp

doberk likes this.
  9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, your engine puts out over 900 bhp without(!) the turbo....... What does your turbo do?
    Mine doesn't put out half and the rest comes from the turbo. Drag is pretty much the same as yours and I still get the proper speeds and acceleration.

I think you haven't studied enough on the engine and I also don't agree on this:
    Unfortunatelly, RF2 is not managing in the correct way the torque of engine with turbo featuring more than 900 CV. Furthermore, in Rf2 is not possible to set a correct engine map.....

Dive in there deeper; there is much to gain and all problems can be solved!

10. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

No
    Sorry
    You are wrong
    My engine HAS turbo......it's the original one that is not featurng an RF2 engine turbo

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I looked at your engine; there IS a turbo in there, but it has no use.
    Your torque lines alone delivers 900+ bhp and the turbo doesn't DO much ;)
    I'm not wrong, sorry.

The original (or the Fanatic one) has the old rF1 file, I know, but yours isn't doing anything either.

12. rocketjockeyr6

That fixed it Nico, thank you.
    To be clear, I had preferred the Fanatic mod at the time due to the clutch slip of your mod. I have put in about an hour at Bahrain with v.0.96, and it feels great. Times are good, for AI as well. I think you are on the right path. :)

Navigator, thank you for that, its very useful information. I was working on repackaging with Mas2 last night but was still getting confused. I think my issue was with the rFm file, but now that Nico has corrected the issue, I no longer need to. But again, thanks for the link as Im sure it will come in use in the future.

I cant comment on the use of the turbo in the physics files... I still have a lot to learn about the way these are put together. What I do know, is that the car definitely has the "feeling" of a turbo. When leaving a slow corner in 3rd gear at say, ~6000rpm, you can floor it and it will lag for about a second and then come on strong. Taking the same corner, but leaving in 2nd, the power is there immediately, as it should be with the turbo "spooled up".

Due to fuel flow restrictions the engines are limited to about 3.5 bar of boost, and you know they arent running max boost with only 5 engines to last 20 races. Maybe in Q3, definitely not in race. I also read that FiA limit static cylinder compression ratio to 18:1. Either way, Im sure improvements will come, as learning continues, just like 2016. :)
    One question, how difficult would it be to add 2 or 3 "fuel maps" or "boost maps" to be able to adjust power in the car like they do?
    With the EnduRacer mod that I drive in the ~IsR~ league, all cars have 3 levels of boost, even though the cars are really not boosted. This is used to simulate different engine power maps and helps with fuel/tyre management in race.

Thanks again guys,
    rocket

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, it does feel that way, but look at the picture of the power line, values taken from the torque line and thus no turbo calculated in there:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4g5jh1j4lhbl63/power_line.jpg?dl=0

As you can see it goes up from there pretty steep; that is what you are feeling.
    And then; a modern day F1 car has no second of turbo lag.

Well, you can make as many mappings and different kinds of them as you want, but that requires a lot of writing to explain.
    It is possible, but I would suggest to "study" a lot about the new engine model first.

14. rocketjockeyr6

Sure they do. You can hear the turbo very well with the onboard camera.

Take turn 1 at Bahrain for example. Exiting in 2nd gear, the rpm's are high enough that the turbo is spooled up and ready, so when they hit 3rd its all ready to go. But sometimes they exit in 3rd gear, and you can hear the turbo come up. Maybe not a full second, but more than a half.
    http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/gallery/renault-pu-2014/zuppu5.jpg
    Tell me that thing doesnt lag and I just laugh... ;)

15. rocketjockeyr6

To Nicola, I believe that the gear ratio's from the Fanatic mod better represent the ratios of the actual cars. The last 3 specifically should be longer while the bottom 5 are OK to me. Adjusting the final drive down 2 settings (14/54 I believe) gives a good feeling for 1st through 5th, but 6th, 7th, and 8th should be just a little longer. 20170422170023_1.jpg 20170422170142_1.jpg

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That's not a real turbo lag and has to do with several things:
    - at lower rpm, the power is lower. That is no lag, but just nature of an engine of course.
    - it is not to say if the driver had full throttle; it is thinkable -for sure with these cars- a driver just doesn't "floor it"

Turbo lag is a real pain in a race car and "they" did several things to overcome that problem such as the split turbo and -lets say- and electric motor to keep the turbo spooled up. Sure, you hear more pressure when throttle is applied, but there is pressure anyway.
    You can't judge a turbo lag by a movie, not knowing how much throttle is applied.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sorry for OT, but could you please point me there, where i should start editing, within a rf2 engine file, to get a lag. Lets say around 4500 rpm? Turbo lines allready there and working.

18. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

To Navigator:
    I hate to disappoint You but in my engine there is the turbo and it's working. To verify this, if You are able, try to delete turbo strings from the engine file and let's see how it works. On the other hand, I derived my engine from ISI RF2 Dallara Indy, using only one turbo. If my file has no turbo, also Dallara ISI has not.....and this is not the case.
    I spent a while to try to share here something better than a mod with fake turbo engine, physics file without flex chassis and tgm tyres with 4,5 value of grip.....but I realized that it doesn't worth until there will be people criticizing and discrediting my work without suggesting solutions or offering something better. I will not waste my time here again

19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I don't think navigator was being critical, I believe he was trying to be helpful

Louis and Navigator like this.
  20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You don't disappoint me.
    Yes your turbo is doing something, but its not much. How much should the turbo give extra when the "naked" engine alone produces 900+ bhp? How about that; answer that for a chance.
    Now my style of writing was adjusted to yours; I think your writing about the Fanatic mod was not "nice".
    You have some things to learn mate; you are the one not noticing the clutch was slipping and you learned something ;) That is not a "WIP thing", that could and should have been solved.
    So your "without offering solutions" goes down the drain, right?
    I wanted to help you, but you came across as someone who already knows all there is to know.
    Also lines like "if you are able" makes this illusion stronger.

The ISI Dallara; thats fine, but reading your posts, I would imagine you build an engine from scratch.......
    You know what the problem with that engine was, right?

I wanted to offer you some help as I have a lot of experience with the F1 turbo engines, but for you it seems more important to prove you know more than me.
    But okay; you know more than me. I am at fault for such a bonus to the community leaving this forum, cancelling ALL of his contributions over all the years and others will hate me for that.
    That is what you are after; so be it.

Goodbye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.