Better Pit Road Detection System Idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TChapman500, Apr 22, 2017.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Last time I checked, rFactor 2 still uses only entrance and exit triggers to detect whether a car is on pit road. I've been thinking that there should be a box shaped like pit road to do this detection more accurately (perhaps generated automatically from the AIW file) with the entrance and exit triggers noting valid entrances and exits from pit road.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

But the start, end and corridors DOES create a "box" ? And I can't imagine a pit road needing more than one legal entry or exit ?

3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

What I'm suggesting is a way to detect pit road entry/exit anywhere on pit road. Legal or otherwise.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

Why though? The pit road is almost always separated by a wall, so what would be the benefit of this?

5. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

What if the car is sent over the wall? Also, a large number of ovals (where the front straight isn't actually straight) do not have a pit wall.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can make it an L shape(the pit in gmt) if you want, there's no reason why you can't. Usually there's no point.

7. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

But that would be interpreted as a legal pit entry, wouldn't it?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Better for what?
    Actual one works flawlessly.

bwana likes this.
  10. Coutie

Well, what does an invalid entry mean to you? Does it mean you can't pit? If so, then the current system is fine, you can only pit if you trigger the pit in gmt.

11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

That's exactly my point.

12. Coutie

Ok, I'm not sure what you're after then. Do you want a penalty or something if they go through a different gmt?

13. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Not necessarily a penalty. Though with the current system, if you miss the entrance trigger, then you can go as fast as you want without getting one. You'll also not be counted as having exited pit road if you miss the exit trigger for whatever reason.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TChapman500 Ok, so you'd probably help with shaping any potential new system by pointing out what you do want to happen if this alternative entrance/exit were triggered. Because presumably you wouldn't want it to all be as normal, if a car hasn't entered the normal way.

15. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

No. It would just be a way to detect if the car was in pit road based on whether it was touching or inside the "box" (which would have to follow the path of pit road and possibly cover the entire garage area).

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So people can save time by delaying their entry, going faster than the speed limit, and then pitting as normal? That's what I mean.

17. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Have fun trying to execute that maneuver! But seriously though, I'm just trying to suggest a way to detect whether the car is on pit road even if it doesn't hit the entrance and exit triggers. How the simulator responds to an illegal entry/exit isn't really relevant to the point of this idea.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TChapman500 I suspect, as said above, you can already do that by just using a differently shaped xpitin. The game probably doesn't care what shape it is, it just checks for collision with it. You could have xpitin and xpitout running side by side along the entire pit lane, so entering anywhere will get picked up and exiting anywhere will get picked up. But, although dangerous, it does seem prone to exploitation.

For me, I'd consider a non-standard pit entry a reason to disallow service, or force some sort of penalty if still done (ie your car is too damaged to do another lap, so you wear the penalty in order to fix it).

But either way, at least making sure anyone on pitlane is in pitlane, will stop them speeding.

*And you could put a roof on the xpitin, just to cover aerial entrances. Would you need one on the xpitout too? Back to that vid I posted above ;)

19. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Didn't I already mention that changing the shape of those triggers will tell the simulator that the entry/exit is a legal one?

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, and you also don't seem to care what happens if people use an alternative entry. So what's wrong with the current system?