[REL] Tv Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gerald Jacobson, May 12, 2014.

1. Heath J

Heath J Registered

OK.... I have gotten the plugin to show the overlay, but here are my problems:
    (1) It only works while I am on the track. I haven't been able to get it to work with spectator mode.
    (2) I can't get the console to toggle on/off various overlay elements.

2. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Does anyone know what could be causing the timing in the scrolling banner to be so wacky? The time gaps between drivers move all over the place.

3. Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield Registered

I realize this plugin is now no longer supported, but I have a question that I don't think has been asked, and I'm kind of shocked that we're years later and at page 31. So either I am misunderstanding (possible), or others aren't having this issue?

When I change windows to any other window, rF2 drops fps from a perfect 60 to around 30-35. It seems this is intended for background apps in Windows, but obviously, this is a major problem for using this tool, OBS, etc while recording. I tried a program called Autohotkey but that doesn't work 100% and takes the focus immediately away from the app that I am trying to use so that I can't use it.

I realize other teams have multiple people potentially doing the streaming but again, I imagine that whoever is running the streaming computer at some point at a minimum has to click on their recording software?

So, is there a way to configure rf2 to continue to use system resources in the background so that it can hold 60fps when I go to stream? Or am I looking at this issue wrong? Thank you!

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

There is a setting in the player. json to prevent rf2 from throttling down when not 'active'. Don't recall it by memory and not at my PC right now.

Trevor Greenfield likes this.
  5. Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield Registered

Thanks, let me check my player.json.

Here's the settings I could find, you are right, I overlooked it!
    So this one was set this way by default, which looks right:

"Active Sleep Time":-1,
    "Active Sleep Time#":"ms to sleep each loop if the game is the active app (-1 to disable). Consider setting to 1 or more if you are running a dedicated server on the same machine.",

This was set to 25, I changed to disable;
    "Inactive Sleep Time":-1,
    "Inactive Sleep Time#":"Number of milliseconds to sleep each message loop if the game is not the active application (-1 to disable). will give more CPU to other apps when minimized, etc.",

AND IT WORKS! This was the only stumbling block to getting it working so far. Now I'll have to look at some of the finer stuff that doesn't seem to be working like the replay system.

So to clarify, in case anyone searches for it, this player.json setting was putting the inactive window (unfocused) rfactor2 into sleep mode and the FPS was going to a fluctuating 30-35 making it unusable for broadcast. This setting fixes it.

WiZPER likes this.
  6. McFlex

McFlex Registered

The repaly system works but is kind of messed up. At every sessionstart you have to go manually into the replay by pressing R or whatever you choose and that you have to click "go back to live" in the remote console. After that procedure you can directly select events from the list

7. Heath J

Heath J Registered

I have this awesome plugin working, but not the remote console. Any ideas? (running a GTX 770). Thank you.

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Note that this plugin will not be compatible with DX11, and sadly Gerald is no longer working on his rF2 projects.

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

That's bad news. That said, how can I avoid DX11 in the future then?
    hats

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RoboCAT10 As per the latest roadmap update, you'll be able to use dx9 for a few months still. Then we will likely all have to switch to dx11.

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Why can't we stay on dx9?
    hy

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RoboCAT10 Because dx11 has been out a long time, everyone's GPU can run it (or it's really time for an upgrade anyway), and it avoids people potentially having content that doesn't work or look good in dx9 and blaming the game for it. Also the devs don't have to worry about trying to support both.

I'm sure dx11 will support plugins of this nature eventually, but plugins built on dx9 and not updated won't work. That's just the nature of things.

WiZPER likes this.
  13. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I hope this plugin can updated somehow then because it would be a shame if all of Gerald's great work wasn't usable. Also personally a shame for me as I greatly rely on this plugin for races I do. So I can imagine it will be very frustrating to have this plugin unavaible.

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

there might be a way to stick to dx9 - get rF2 DVD somewhere. My worst nightmare is that favorite mods/plugins won't work, but Lazza's right - it's natural flow of things. It is unfortunate not everything is open sourced, will be a pain to rewrite Real World Weather plugin when it ceases to work due to some change somewhere.

15. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Yeah I can see that it is a natural flow of things and overall it's an improvement to the game, but yeah it is sad about the plugins. If I didn't update to the new build, would that potentially stay on dx9?

16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

how would you prevent steam from updating the game? Staying offline forever? :) Yep, not fun situation, especially with things that can't be fixed because people move on. Maybe Gerald will come back one day :)

17. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Old builds are always available in steam.

RoboCAT10 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Didn't know that, that's nice.

19. K9VING

K9VING Registered

Just going to put this out there.... Is there another TV plugin that we can use, or is this it in the RF2 community?

RoboCAT10 and aerobaticrug like this.
  20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

To my knowledge there is no alternative.