First RF2 VR pics posted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

My main worry is that it appears that they only intend to implement OpenVR. Obviously it's the choice that should be first as it allows both Vive and Rift users to play the game, but as a Rift user I always end up having problems with it. Native Oculus SDK implementation is so superior, especially because of Asynchronous Spacewarp

Many times while playing SteamVR games if I drop frames they put me in the white loading room for a second or two while the game catches up, and while that's fine in regular VR games, I don't think it would be in a sim

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

darn , maybe they'll add native support bit later?

In meantime run lower setting to make sure pc keeps up

3. Depco

Depco Registered

Unfortunately the more I learn about VR and the various headsets, it appears to me that Vive is winning out against Rift. I don't intend to turn this into a OR vs HTCV debate, but for a developer you need to make your game run on as many platforms and hardware configurations as possible. Rift's continued reliance on proprietary software seems to be having some unintended consequences with regard to software developers ability to reliably program for it. I imagine this will be the same for rF2...

Maybe I am wrong and I don't know what I am talking about though. I don't have an OR or HTCV. I use a Note 4 and Gear VR for my VR gaming (Through Riftcat Vridge)

4. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Maybe.

Actually the current situation reminds me a lot of when 3DFX were still going strong with their glide. When the games implemented it, it was so superior compared with everything else. Either way, OpenXR is on the way and that is what developers will need to implement in the future to give proper support to any HMD, so everybody will be happy

https://www.khronos.org/openxr/

ericRacer likes this.
  5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I don't like to enter the debate either (unless when countering certain people who make it seem like the Rift is superior at evertything). The fact is, however, even for seated experiences, the Vive does have pluses: Like a wider FOV and significantly brighter screen. These are very nice things when talking specifically about racing sims.

And this. Obviously when the Rift first released, Facebook was adamant that there would be no standards. Coming in second in the marketshare has thankfully forced them into dropping this stance. The reality is a single standard was always the ideal. But a true open standard. The Khronos group is great and hopefully this time next year it'll be the only standard we have to worry about. MS isn't a member, but hopefully their HMDs fail and they're forced to get aboard.

It's my understanding that Valve is donating a ton of SteamVR/OpenVR to OpenXR. Much in the way AMD donated their Mantle API to Khronos for Vulkan.

OpenXR is going to be a open standard that individual companies, like Valve and Facebook, can hook into to provide slight modifications to. But for the end user, it means their software can be purchased a single time and be guaranteed to work with all future VR hardware.

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I see it like this - as long as there is no VENDOR INDEPENDENT open VR standard like OpenXR, you have to implement both Vive and Oculus SDKs: OpenVR SDK and Oculus SDK. By only implementing Vive's OpenVR SDK, Oculus users aren't getting a great implementation. Don't get confused by the name OpenVR.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Yeah, but as "technically" Valve supports the Rift I think it's fair OpenVR is implemented first, because Vive users would need to use the ReVive unofficial hack if only the Oculus SDK is implemented. That being said, it seems Vive users playing Oculus games via ReVive are having less problems than Rift users playing through OpenVR/SteamVR, so I'm not really sure that support being "official" changes anything. In the end, if OpenVR is the only thing that will be implemented ever, Rift users are going to get a sub-par experience compared to native support

8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Much of the advantage regarding brand of VR-HMD is dependent on perspective; from that of the average VR-gamer, Oculus seems to do a much better job of providing safer access of VR-titles with a rating-system and more consistent performance with a library of titles that meet a defined standard. While that may seem unimportant to many of us, users sensitive to VR-sickness may find it to be a huge advantage. In terms of overall VR experiences, that may be the wiser approach although, more demanding and less popular among enthusiasts.

OVR's focus is definitely not on porting VR into existing titles - much less Racing-Sims and they'd much prefer to see games built for VR from the ground up. It's easy to understand why if you've explored various VR-titles using hand-controllers within various genres. I don't think that's a bad approach but, it's not one that benefits Sim-use, at least not any time soon given typical development time-spans.

9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Even with racing games?
    I wouldn't say that's universal, though. I don't know what my glitch was, but Assetto Corsa was essentially unplayable for me using the ReVive hack. Maybe it's because I have an older 3570k CPU (with a 1070 GPU), but no matter what I did to my settings, I couldn't get it to run at 90fps. Once native support was released, I was able to crank settings way up and still hold 90fps. It wasn't anywhere near the supposed 15 percent slower for me. It was much worse for me.

10. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Point is, Revive isn't native support for Vive and OpenVR isn't for Rift either. I'm happy they are doing something unlike ISI but I'll be sad if OpenVR is all there is

11. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I'm honestly curious: what exactly are the issues? I saw someone mention SpaceWarp not being being available, but that surely doesn't apply to racing sims, does it? Don't you just want asynchronous time warp for seated? Which OpenVR has (at least on Vive). It's my understanding, as a Vive owner, that the only time I want to use ATW is when it's a seated game. And that something like Space Warp, which Valve doesn't have an equivalency for, is for full body activity. When you want to interpolate data on a player who's moving in space (but isn't running at 90fps).

12. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

ASW does apply to racing sims, as it benefits anything that moves around the screen, and in this case would be other cars. Still, same as with Revive, going through a wrapper like SteamVR affects performance on top of no ASW. And then on top of that sometimes when missing frames it sends you to the SteamVR white room, which would be interesting if it happens during a race.

But also they have a bug going around called "The hourglass of death", still present in the SteamVR beta branch, that after a few minutes of play the Rift screen goes black and only shows a white hourglass, while the game continues to run fine and track on the regular monitor. A few days ago they pushed the beta to stable and screwed every Rift owner for a day until they reverted it to the previous version
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/251481378562703778

All I'm trying to say is Rift users can have problems with SteamVR specially when they update as they can break things without noticing, the same way Vive users can have problems using Revive. The only way right now is to support both natively until OpenXR arrives

PaulG likes this.
  13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Oculus has issues with tracking-hitching in OH v1.3 and quite a few people would like them to revert back to v1.2; it doesn't happen with all titles or on all systems but, it generally shows up after some time playing. At least one person said it was related to Steam services and others pointed at CPU-core usage.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And I belive that hundreds have blamed rF2 Steam installl to be cause of countless issues... :rolleyes:

Goanna likes this.
  15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

At this point, all options should be firmly placed on the table for further examination . . . :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Tom Lebeuf

Tom Lebeuf Registered

I'm slightly annoyed that the update was delayed for VR. At this point VR users are still the minority and there are other items that have been annoyances for a long time that could have been fixed. (manual transmission, rain, etc)

VR is cool, but it was lower on the priority list for me.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I am very happy that RF2 is getting VR, I will be back in to it asap.

IL2 just got VR support and a lot of people that left the fold have come back to IL2 because they have got used to VR on other games. I see this happening here as well, not to mention the number of people that buy games just for the VR content.

Yes, VR is the minority of gamers but when you all of a sudden have a lot of them looking for new games to buy it could be a nice income earner when VR support is released. I dont know how may people there are with VR but I tried a new game for the first time the other day on the rift and I was something like 78,000 on the leaderboard. It's a rift only game, doesnt take vive in to account.

IL2 came out with openVR support, not oculus specific and you couldnt tell. It makes no difference to me for a racing game so not sure what the issues are with an openVR based racing game that supports all headsets.

18. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Development never stops. More time to finish VR meant more time to finish other stuff too. Don't look at this as if you were robbed of sth just because VR wasn't ready for those "few" people. Also when the update hits it will be much better received by entire community. More time leads to more polish.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Where's the delay news?

20. Will Boston

Will Boston Registered

Orginally the update was due end of Q1 but on the last roadmap it was delayed to May 1st