[WIP] Le Grand Circuit 1967 (in association with VLM)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

It's not the 1967 race, but there are some good helicopter shots and shots from angles not normally found.

This Time Tomorrow: The 1966 Le Mans documentary

John, yusupov, jayarrbee36 and 3 others like this.
  2. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi Woochoo.

A few years ago, I generated some textures for the late 60's "Nürburgring Südschleife".
    Mostly they show all kind of brands that were used on advertising stands and banners back then.

I spent a lot of hours on recreating all those banners and logos and since the Südschleife never got beyond an early alpha stadium for rF1, I'd be happy and proud, if my work could be of good use somewhere else.

Obviously, some of them contain german phrases, eg. "Esso hat's in sich", but if you're interested and would recylce them for your Grand Circuit, I could send them over.

Just let me know ... :)

Cheers,
    Max

PS: I'm an old fart from the early rF1 days and had a peek into rF2 in its early beta phase. Now that rF2 has matured and Studio 397 is taking care of it, I couldn't resist the December sales offer and therefore I'm back at the wheel again, hoping for even more quality content.

PPS: if there's anybody else working on a historic track and interested in my textures, just drop me a note

Flaux, LeStrat, MonSum and 3 others like this.
  3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for the offer Max, but I'm making fictitious advertising for this track.
    I would love to see a Sudschleife in rF2 though :D

4. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

same here ...

In a perfect world, the historical Südschleife and Nordschleife should get married, for really long rounds in the Eifel and the icing on this cake would be HistorX's GT & TC collection.

:D

If you'd like to have a look at my textures as an inspiration for your fictitious ads, I could still send them over.
    They are all high res and layered in PSD format, packed into a 16MB 7zip archive.

Let me know ... :)

5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

You've got mail, thanks :)

6. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Now you're really teasing :)

8. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Sorry to burst that bubble, but I'm only dreaming, not teasing.
    In other words, there is no such project, at least none that I know of.
    :(

9. Emery

Emery Registered

That project is in my head... but the reality is I'll never do it. Why can't our brainstorms become reality more easily?

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I wish i knew how also!

11. Emery

Emery Registered

See page 99 of "Ford GT: How Ford Silenced the Critics, Humbled Ferrari and Conquered Le Mans" (by Preston Lerner) for a 1963 track map that has the corner radi & distances marked on it. If I squint at the google books preview image, I can also see grade slopes in %. The image in the book is also marked up with Phil Hill's GT40 shift points.

12. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

MonSum, woochoo and Emery like this.
  13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

bravotangosix likes this.
  14. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

I guess I don't understand the point of making the track "historically accurate" and then using fake advertising textures. Will it be possible for the end users to update the textures themselves?

15. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

But what if the creator has exemplary taste?

Eric Rowland likes this.
  16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If it's out as 3PA then he has no choice but to go the fake route unless S397 can secure things. Monte Carlo 1966 is an example with the Shell advertisement coming and going. Also his Longford lost all real ads when it became official 3PA material.

Bjørn likes this.
  17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, I understand Bob. While I probably could use the real (trademarked, copyrighted) sponsor names and logos (perhaps not counting cigarette and alcohol which is illegal in some areas, such as France as I understand it) without getting into trouble, it's just not something I want to risk now, on a personal level.

Technically it might be possible for some intrepid modder to change them, but I hope that my textures
    will support the character of the environment to a degree that negates an individual's desire to replace the textures to the extent that they do not commence the task of replacing the textures.
    - woochoo, not a lawyer
    That is, I hope my fictional sponsors will be good enough that people don't feel the need to change them.

It's true what Gui says about Longford (not technically 3PA) and 3PA, and I was happy enough to do that for my own reasons as well. At this stage there have been no formal discussions about Le Grand Circuit being a 3PA or official piece of content. Besides my personal wish for the track to be 'clean', It would also mean less duplicate work if it were to be acquired in some form by a developer.

In summary, yeah, it won't look as authentic, but i can't pay/acquire the licenses for that brand-name authenticity. I don't want to steal that authenticity. I hope the fake sponsors I produce will be good enough that it's not a problem after a few laps.

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I wouldnt have the knowledge to change anything ,lol but looking at your existing work , i wouldn't need to , it is awesome as is and im sure you wouldnt go overboard with sponsors billboards like i've seen on some tracks .
    Really looking forward to this along with so much other great stuff coming to rF2 .
    Thanks to all who know how to because without you Guys id still be playing Hot Wheels .lol

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, as much as roughly possible you'll only be seeing sponsors in places where anyone familiar with the circuit would expect to see them. I'm using as much photo reference as i can. I won't be adding signs just for the sake of it :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered