Latest Roadmap Update - March 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 17, 2017.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Raceroom is heard and looks better than rfactor 2, but clearly far superior
    And that is dx9 too
    Maybe study 397 will improve rfactor 2, but it gives me that visually it will not be better than raceroom, let's wait to see the work

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Man! I really have to get that to work. I went into VR a couple of times and it does look good. Can't get my wheel to work so far. It seems each sim has its own way of doing things.

Assetto Corsa has the best UI I think. That's why I stayed with it so long I'm sure. Easy to find my way around.

rF2 is pretty straightforward too.

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The truth that audio, graphics, and force feedback, in raceroom are great, audio and graphics better than rfactor 2
    Force feedback is better rfactor 2
    asseto corsa dx11 ,Not comparable
    But I think that when this dx11 in rfactor 2 will not improve the dx11 of asseto corsa , Let alone project cars

Guimengo likes this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

How about we wait, until the engine update arrives and when a couple of more things get tweaked and refined. It makes no sense at all to allways make those silly graphics comparisons, especialy when there are different approaches to dynamic vs. static environments. rF2 has enough for it's own, where it excells besides the FFB and that's the reason why there are people still enjoying it. What rF2 needs, is polishing and refinement in some areas. It doesn't need to look best, to be a decent product, nor does it need the best sound or the best UI. What it needs, is to give the user a consistent experience and a coherent set of features and content that make sense. And that's where it struggles a bit.

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

For rfactor 2 to be a profitable and relevant product in 2017 and beyond it needs to improve in lots of areas, visually /lighting /rain effects (nil atm) /anti aliasing - GPU/CPU performance, VR implementation and having a consistent look from all content just to name some of the first things that come to mind from a new player coming to rF2.
    It's all well and good for the old faithful player to say its good as is and only needs a polish but what S397 need is NEW players and people actually buying their product.
    I wish S397 a influx of new blood to provide a boost to their financial bottom line so that this great Sim can finally become the Sim it deserves to be.
    2017 game of the year award.

peterchen, F1Aussie and vegaguy5555 like this.
  6. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

[QUOTE="hitm4k3r, post: 883908, member: 45350"What it needs, is to give the user a consistent experience and a coherent set of features and content that make sense. And that's where it struggles a bit.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head. IMO

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think you misread my post a bit. The areas you mentioned, are mostly related to visuals, some of them user specific problems (AA for example). If rF2 wasn't a relevant product we wouldn't be having this discussion in this forum and the devs wouldn't be working on updates and improvements, that have not only been requested by new and future users, but by the community and people who have been following this sim for years now. I know, this doesn't fit into the usual marketing strategy of today, but it's as important to take care for the wishes of your new aswell as your old users. It will propably not fit your vision of rF2, but it does alot of things right aswell, where other products struggle and a huge influx of new users will not neccesarily make it a better product. The products, that some consider very good today, were is some cases total desasters from a business POV and some products that are considered big financial successes of today aren't neccesarily everyone's cup of tea. It's not that I wish Studio 397 to experience the same fate as Papyrus, Simbin or Geoff Crammond, but sometimes it can be good to fill a niche and build up on your strong points and weaken your weakpoints without producing a sim that looks better than Project Cars.

8. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Engine upgrade is a great thing, no doubt on that! But I am more interested in content (Radical is a good start) and physics updates, I think S397 is doing a great job but we know there is still a lot of road to do, so... no best SIM of 2017 but best SIM soon...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I know user related issues (AA for example) are just that but as users upgrade the hardware and step up from 720p and start using higher resolution and bigger screens those "user related issues" become more apparent.

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

[Quote = "hitm4k3r, mensaje: 883.915, miembro de: 45350"] Creo que mi mensaje leído mal un poco. Las áreas que usted ha mencionado, son en su mayoría relacionados con efectos visuales, algunos de ellos problemas específicos del usuario (AA, por ejemplo). Si RF2 no era un producto relevante no estaríamos teniendo esta discusión en este foro y los desarrolladores no estaríamos trabajando en las actualizaciones y mejoras, que no sólo han sido solicitadas por los usuarios nuevos y futuros, sino por la comunidad y la gente que han estado siguiendo este simulador desde hace años. Lo sé, esto no encaja en la estrategia de comercialización habitual de hoy en día, pero es tan importante cuidar de los deseos de su nuevo aswell como sus antiguos usuarios. Es además probablemente no se ajusta a su visión de RF2, pero tiene un montón de cosas bien aswell, donde otros productos lucha y una gran afluencia de nuevos usuarios no neccesarily lo convierten en un producto mejor. Los productos, que algunos consideran muy bien hoy, eran algunos casos se siniestros totales de un Punto de vista de negocios y algunos productos que se consideran grandes éxitos financieros de hoy en día no son neccesarily del agrado de todos. No es que me gustaría Studio 397 para experimentar la misma suerte que el papiro, Simbin o Geoff Crammond, pero a veces puede ser bueno para llenar un nicho y acumularse en sus puntos fuertes y debilitar sus puntos débiles sin producir un simulador que se ve mejor que el Proyecto Cars. [/ QUOTE]
    I know the good things about rfactor 2, but what I want is to fix all the crap that has bad rfactor 2, I'm not new to rfactor 2 and if I want to fix the rain, the water tires, and the visual effects of Rain, if not to implement it, and of course the graphics because today to the motorist, raceroom, is heard and looks better with dx9, if we go to dx11 and does not improve the dx9 raceroom nor motorist, this will not be I do not care, either 2017 or 2040

peterchen and Guimengo like this.
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Let me put it this way, will you leave rF2 if physics are not improved? No, probably not but i have friends who have tried the demo and say "call me when it looks Next Gen". I try to tell them give it a go, thats one track, alot more content looks quite good but all they see is the demo and move on.
    Even as rF2 is now i and most other regulars will buy any content S397 decide to put out but honestly we are a small market compared to what im sure rF2 can achieve given the right development.
    Alot of AC and pCars regulars would come ro rF2 in a heart beat if it just looked abit more like they are used to and want.

vegaguy5555, Ernie and F1Aussie like this.
  12. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

You forgot the online mode, which is very important to compete with other Sims.

vegaguy5555 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I dont really play online but when i did it seemed to work alright , But i wouldn't really know any better ,lol

14. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Yes, of course, you can have the best physics between the sims but this doesn't mean it is complete or the definitive one...

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

We have rain , Yes. Do we have rain tires? do not,. Does the rain look good? , No, it looks really very bad, because they either fix it or remove the rain
    The tire's physical and the temperatures are not good, it also needs repair

Studio 397 has taken command, now must prove that not only will be more of the same , Hopefully not !!!

16. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

But for that they need time.

A small games studio does not have infinite resources, they have probably a couple of coders, a couple of artists and so on, therefore, if they're working on one aspect, can not improve a different aspect at the same time.

What I mean is that each improvement takes it's time, now they're improving graphics engine. Looking at the shared screenshots, they're doing a pretty good job, but can not do everything at the same time.

17. Comante

Comante Registered

I dunno, I get the feeling that you people consider S397 a bunch of idiots that need to be babystepped in the right direction and to know what to do next and what is more important to them. They took RF2 development in their hands, I don't think a doctor told them to do so (old italian saying) so I think they KNOW what they want to achieve with it, how, and where to take it. We simply can just sit back and enjoy to discover what will happen next. In may we will see the next greatest update in years in RF2, yet people complain for the most disparate things. I think I'm grateful to Studio 397 to have taken the development of my beloved RF2 on their shoulders, in a little time they gave us good content and updates are flowing in our HD quite often. Modders too have taken the ball (I remember when people complained that RF2 would have no mods because it was too complex to make..)(That is quite silly to pretend to have the most complex simulation that could work with just a few numbers thrown in a txt file).
    I fear that many of you spend more time on the forum waiting for RF2 to be worth your time than to playing it now. Novelties are cool, but you can't have a candy everyday.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Yes, they are facing the same software development realities as ISI. The rule in software is that you can only pick two of the following properties: good, fast and cheap. Good and fast produced software will not be cheap, and good and cheap will not be fast, etc. ISI was slow with releasing content not because they didn't have the skills, but because of minimal human resources.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I didn't say, that I don't want the graphics updated, or can you point me to an actual quote where I said that? Reading your comments it allways sounds as if you are trying to put that idea into the mouth of people enjoying or liking the game allready. It makes zero sense at all to panic now before the ship hasn't even arrived, so relax and wait for the things to come. rF2 needs polishing in a multitude of areas with graphics just being one of them. Many people are judging a book by it's cover, so I am not surprised by people not liking it if they have other preferences for race sims. If I would tell wich stuff I would like to see fixed in AC, RR or PC to finaly get into 2017, I could actually fill a book. But that's not realy the idea of collecting feedback for a Roadmap in rF2. If you actually read my comments regarding the Roadmaps you would see that I gave my feedback for graphical improvements aswell.

Your AA issues are user specific issues, simple as that. If I run AC and rF2 at highest ingame AA settings (something that I take as recommended) I have a quite contrary experience to yours. So do you really think that the jaggies in AC will get less apparent in AC compared to rF2 when the image get's bigger? I hope that your issues get fixed, as I read other people having similar problems, but with the big variety of hardware and software involved it's hard for a developer to allways find the sweet spot where it allways works for all people. There are literaly millions of combinations. All the different graphic cards that I had in the last couple of years, both AMD and Nvidia, performed all very different in terms of AA quality, even using different drivers. And that's not something that you can expect Studio 397 to fix. If you actually read the Roadmap, you might have noticed that there have been AA specific issues fixed. They aren't blind or a bunch of people who need us to babysit them. ;)

Attached Files:

• AA.jpg
      AA.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have a possibly bigger issue with graphical flicker in AC than i do in rF2 . In AC no matter what i do in nVidia inspector they cant be removed :( but at least in rF2 inspector setting eliminate it completely but being in DX9 the performance of even my GTX 1070 struggles with such high AA @ 4k. Its not jaggies so much as flicker that happens on fences .
    In those screens of yours, the grandstand on the left would be my problem not the jaggies on the bonnet .lol
    If you where to look at my Steam account (open for all to see) you will see i've put in 60 hrs in the last 2 weeks and i'm pretty sure 90% is in rF2 as its the only thing i play :)
    So anything i say only has rF2's best interest in mind IMHO . I really want it to hit it outta the park .

Also i dont think any of my comments have been targeted at you unless it was in reply to a post you made quoting me . I think ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017