new to rfactor 2 - skin download and usage?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rocafella1978, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi all, I am sure some will think I am a complete idiot for asking, but I have just not been able to understand where to install, copy, hot to use a downloaded skin, I have downloaded some URD EGT skins, they come in *.dds and some in just *.mas files. is it like Assetto Corsa, creating a folder somewhere for that specific car? I only found the vehicle in the "packages" folder where I installed them *.rfcmp, but can't find the vehicle in said "UserData" folders, for example:
    URD Bayro vehicle skin, where and how to install DDS files? and or MAS file?
    can i rename a folder or just create a folder and copy files into that folder, for rFactor 2 to recognize the skin in that folder for the URD Bayro vehicle?
    I tried to dig around and look for how URD vehicles are setup for example, when you download them install the package, but could not find the skins folders to any of the URD cars, but they do have skins in game, also alternative skin.
    any help or guidance for ignorance would be greatly appreciated! thanks all.

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Stumbled upon this topic while being in the same situation.
    I managed to install a mod via RD, that was made to install in rFactor2 > userdata > player > settings (where it is located between tracks). At first I thought it did not work at all, but some of the skins did show (though there was no preview), some others did not ??

Another skin I downloaded contained four .dds and one .veh file and I have no clue where to put these.
    Another one was just a .mas file. No clue either...
    Could someone help here please ?
    Thanks.

3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Im not a pro at this but yeah i was also a bit confused after it being so easy in AC to add skins lol. :D

I found that when you add skins to rF2 you have to check (in TUNING) every car (livery for that specific car) that is already in the sim that you added a livery (or more) to. And then you have to click the button for the ALT skin(s) and "create" them to get the new ones in the livery list for the car. When i tried to add a livery to a car that already had tons of liveries in the sim i gave up lol. Had to look through all of them until finding which livery the new livery was added to. Maybe im doing it all wrong, but would be nice if S397 could make it so we just drop a skin file/folder into the sim and BAM - its there.

4. Kondor

Kondor Registered

It's probably the absolute worst, most user-hostile and clumsy/laborious method I've ever seen. It compares very poorly to something like AC, where adding skins is incredibly straightforward.

Unfortunately, it's always this way with rF2. After all these years, substantial portions of the simulator (it's certainly not a game) are still in pre-Alpha.

5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

I gave up trying to install skins. I rather drive than spending that time trying to figure out how it eventually works.

6. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

It's not too difficult but if you would like to know how to check this http://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/discussions/0/496881136908742637/ or this http://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/discussions/0/496881136918531565/ or this . I think the YouTube video might be the most beneficial.

philmcqueen, Highbank and Fanapryde like this.
  7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Allright, thanks, I followed these instructions:
    I managed to add an extra skin for the Flat 6.
    It also shows as a seperate livery in the UI, but there is no preview (only the rF2 logo).
    Is there a way to get a preview of the skin in there too ?

8. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Umm the only way I know of would be to take the screenshot yourself and place it in there. Those are more static images and that part I can agree is kind of a bummer. They use the wildcard icon.dds and smicon.dds so if the vehicle's file was car1.veh, the icon would be car1icon.dds and car1smicon.dds. Icon uses 1024x1024 and smicon uses 512x512.

9. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

same here, i gave up on skins in rF2, unless i got the pack specifically in bundle ready to go. but never understood how it worked.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Pack all the DDS files into a single MAS file and the files will get picked up as one livery.

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cheers. I think the skins i downloaded were not added the way some does it. Like adding the AI to the files before releasing them. So i had to look where the livery were (attached to which skins currently in the sim) and then go TUNING, and then click ALT, and then CREATE AI etc. When D.Painter released his skins you just had to put them in the folder where they belong and BAM(!) they are added. :)

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

The icons for added skins using a new driver don't work.
    I've tried a few things like adding lines to the rcd. text file but rF2 doesn't read it.

philmcqueen likes this.