Latest Roadmap Update - March 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 17, 2017.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Given enough time and patience, I'm sure you would adapt. :)

2. Chillisteak

Chillisteak Registered

Well I can't compare to a 144hz monitor but to me it doesn't feel like there is any lag at least when running at 90fps. If frame rates do drop below that then you notice it, but that only tends to occur when Windows decides to give you a notification of some sort.
    I know you say going back to a 60hz monitor is torture for you, I'd say the exact same thing about going back to a monitor be it 60hz or 144hz from VR.

The experience is something else, and unless you've tried no amount of words can describe how awesome it is.
    I won't say it's perfect, picture quality can certainly be improved but picture quality is the last thing I'm thinking about when I get going in VR, especially if I'm in an open wheel car.

bravotangosix likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've only ever noticed lag when I had the graphics settings too high in VR just the same as on a flat screen, once you get the settings right there is no lag or at least nothing that hinders my view or feel or lap time. I've raced plenty online against others just fine, no problems whatsoever.

bwana, Onaflyer and Chillisteak like this.
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

VR seems much less latency to me ( using oculus runtimes compatibility etc I'm hoping the open VR method that 297 are using is good too)

re. 1 month delay -we're still getting a lot in a short space of time, release's in software always seem to over run,
    its good that the 397 team targeted an actual date & are doing the same again , fingers crossed

bravotangosix and bluet like this.
  5. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Wow, great,

can't wait to drive rF2 in VR with my vive.

good success :)

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This is why im glad i never went 144Hz, having to be stuck with 27-34" screen would be torture for me, lol even if there where 3 of em, but VR on the other hand will be amazing when resolution increases.

Kabuki101 likes this.
  7. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

I fully agree. A) many adjustments are interrelated in influencing car balance, so it's better to see them all at one page. B) scrolling between many pages is time consuming and far less efficient way to adjust the car.
    So could you please consider an option for user to have an UI where car setting are logically groupped to a minimum possible number of pages?

Badboy likes this.
  8. KittX

KittX Registered

Yeah well they are both awesome and right now it is a tough choice what direction to go. I hope in the future there will be 144hz VR, but the technology must step up the game for that.
    I must say 144hz is spot on to be really fast, especially with open wheelers. I am myself not a fast driver, but I notice I can catch and correct the slide in the very beginning in the situation where on 60 hz the latency was enough for me to miss the catch in first place and further correction just snaps the car.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I hope will see Nvidias Simultaneous Multi Projection for triple screen users someday because the performance impact using multiview is massively caused by the cpu limit even with a high clocked Core I7 and fast ram

WiZPER likes this.
  10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

VR will need gains in other areas much more than a higher refresh rate to appeal to more players; aside from hardware cost being a major hurdle, the low resolution is most often sighted as the reason for waiting to buy VR. Resolution gains are going to require a lot of improvements in multiple areas to make substantial gains and then if the FOV is increased, it extends those challenges even more - all while increasing the system hardware specs / cost.

Marc Collins likes this.
  11. KittX

KittX Registered

also more resolution AND higher refresh rates would require new generation of cables and connections.

12. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

"Racing is life, anything before and after is just waiting."

41 days

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    F1Aussie, Arne Senna and Stan like this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

waiting with a stone cold fox in a trailer doesn't seem so bad....

14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Raceroom looks great dx9, rfactor 2 has regular quality that should improve ...
    If dx11 does not improve the current, it will be a disappointment, but raceroom shows that only with dx9 it looks great

Onaflyer likes this.
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You are confusing track art with technical sophistication. When you have amazing artistry and attention to detail with textures, shaders, etc., it looks great even when there is no dynamic lighting, real weather effects, etc. In fact, it is actually much harder to make something look authentic when you have the more sophisticated lighting, etc.

R3E looks so much better because of the former. rF2 looks worse because of the latter and less of the former. DX11 won't solve this issue. It will make the current less authentic tracks run with much better performance due to problems with shadows and other things. For the tracks to actually look better, a new approach to the artistry will be required--and one that can be so amazing as to work in the dynamic lighting environment. Even R3E's tracks might look much worse if you popped them, as-is, into a 24 hour dynamic lighting and weather cycle. I would say probably, but I don't know whether they have designed them for an eventual switch to dynamic lighting or not.

WiZPER and Alex72 like this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

In other words, more of the same improved, and will look just as bad as proyect cars .........................

17. stonec

stonec Registered

iRacing first DX11 build looked identical to DX9. I wouldn't mind having that if performance was improved and annoying gMotor issues like poor anti-aliasing and running shadows were fixed. DX11 will still be a huge step regarding better support of modern GPU's and VR. It seems some people in this thread expect the first release to contain a full overhaul of the graphics engine, including rain etc. They are going to be disappointed. Actually the roadmap previews show concrete changes to some things like night lighting and tone mapper, which is more than I expected from the first DX11 build.

Badboy, bravotangosix and Emery like this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Great to see night lights have been sorted they were always weak

Hope they'll be a good / useable version of Singapore f1 night circuit at some point

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well the rain rework is the minimum "must have" at release considering the time this feature looks bad and how terrible it looks. Adjusting the cars windshield is another thing but the spray, spray related to speed and rain drops at least should be fixed asap

20. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Just for the pleasure to talk with you guys...why not fmod instead of old miles for sound?