Sooo been a while, how do i download rfactor2 now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tweaq, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Buy it again mate. Its worth it. Also DX11 coming in about a month. Steam have their 30-50% off deals pretty often if it feels too harsh paying again.

2. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Well in the end, we were all forced to go to Steam, and clearly, it didn't work too well did it ? Between the fanboys feeling important because they bought lifetime licence, and being told well too bad but you can buy the game a second time, it's not really good.

It was patched for 4 years because they sold a beta game to begin with, and 5 years later, it's still not "finished". They didn't need to do the same with rF1, because back in the day, when we were younger, generally you tried to finish the game, and then sell it. A lost art.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

People have no hesitation forking out £40+ every year for the latest FIFA game, yet ask them to pay £24 once every few years for another game...!

Jon Denton, ADSTA and jayarrbee36 like this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

Not everyone wanted to transform to Steam to begin with. Why should the developer hand out keys that end up not being used? There is a risk that those who don't want the Steam version but get a key anyway, end up selling their Steam code on the black market to someone else. Ergo, S397 loses money.

I don't know if it's legally sound, but this is basically what every other game is doing as well. With AMS it was exactly the same. AMS originally was nothing more than a re-branded GSCE. If you owned GSCE, you could obtain AMS for free, but only by using the Steam offer until the deadline date (the time frame was even shorter than with ISI). The only difference here is that "GSCE" and "AMS" use different naming for the same product. S397 should probably have renamed rF2 to something else to avoid this polemic.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What, and waste all the rF2 marketing??? :D

It's true though, new company, new platform, it's pretty much a new game. And rF2 already had a pretty good lifetime compared to many other games, and it's ironic that some (some!) people that played it less often over that time are now unhappy they missed out on continuing to use it in its latest incarnations. ('some' meaning not all people that missed the steam news weren't playing the game; though I am a little surprised people actively playing the game weren't somehow aware of the whole Steam thing - these days, and especially on what's obviously a constantly evolving product, you have to occasionally visit a developer's website to check what's going on, don't you?)

The current situation is just what it is - as you point out @stonec, you can't expect S397 to just keep giving extra licenses with the risk they lead to a lost sale, and both ISI and S397 wouldn't want to be spending time (and money/wages) manually catering for people that didn't make use of the automated transfer.

And as others have said - it's not even as much right now as other games are, plus there are sales, plus possibly at some point the base price might potentially go down if some paid DLC becomes available? (pure conjecture)

6. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Yeah i hear your point, the steam key attachment was just a suggestion. Im not a game developer, and i dont work in the software industry so i dont hold terrific solutions to complex problems, but im speaking as a loyal customer of ISI since day dot and its difficult not to feel jaded with whats been presented to me so far. The last thing im interested in is creating conflict within the forums as its totally unproductive and these forums as a whole are largely devoid of the scurge that you find on other pages, but i feel as a genuine owner of the game who paid full price f theres no other solution other than re-purchasing the game yet again full price again simply because we missed a window. Life happened, dropped off sim racing but still checked sim news pages every few months and returned because the new updates looked good, but no to get those i have to purchase the game again at full price?

Im sure not everyone wanted to transfer to steam, i have nothing againsed steam, but if future updates are only on steam, mods are released on the steam workshop, not having the steam version leaves you no longer with a current version of the game i own...

My point is simply I purchased the game, did not receive an email, and now unless i purchased the game again at full cost i can no longer receive updates to a game i already own simply because it moved to steam. Im a fulltime student so i dont have cash to just throw around, i do have 31usd but it makes no sense to me why i have to pay that to continue receiving updates to a game ive owned for years.

If i messed up and missed a window, fair enough i take responsibility for whatever it is i was meant to do, but why not offer something to people who held original keys to the game for a price that covers the admin fees involved in generating a new key + a few more $ since it is a business afterall and making money is the point of them.That way everyone is relatively happy and people can focus on the game itself. Judging by the posts in the forums im not the only one in this position and im not the only one dumbfounded by whats expected, and im sure anyone else who was amped about the new updates who comes back only to find they have to buy the game again arent going to be overly impressed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Guimengo likes this.
  7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I am sure, as I have dealt with them when they do check-in. Though the number is absolutely tiny in this situation. In fact just about everyone with the issue who has emailed me has made a thread or replied to one from what I can tell. Whether handling could go better, it depends on your circumstances of course. There are people who paid a sub that no longer exists, people who paid lifetime on a sub that no longer exists, people who purchased on steam instead of transferring because they missed info that they could get a steam key, people who missed the steam key system being active, people who paid $85 or $45 one day, for the price to drop the next. While this is little different to the fact that you can order an iPhone one day, then Apple releases the next and suddenly that same phone is worth $100-200 less, I do appreciate how that makes some people feel.

Of those who have contacted me in your situation, the number being tiny, the vast majority of those have chalked it up to experience and either said they won't be buying again, have said they'll wait for a steam sale, or (most of them) have just purchased again. I understand every single one of those reactions.

The only additional thing I can say is advice more than anything else, which is that if you add rF2 to your steam wishlist, they will notify you when it goes on sale. This at least allows you to be out of pocket by a smaller amount if you do wish to purchase eventually.

Meanwhile, this is the link for the version you have: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

tweaq likes this.
  8. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Appreciate the reply Tim, dont know of many developers that are as actively involved in the community as you are and if they do they are rarely generally single focused and abrasive. In the end im sure everyone who missed out on the free merger will end up buying it again because without blowing wind up anyones proverbial, as a real racer for 17 years and simmer since nascar1 days this sim really is phenomenal on many different levels. As people said its only $31usd, its just the principal of re-purchasing something that was already purchased that might take some time for people to get past. Thats life though and i look forward to the progression of the game, it should really be at the forefront of popular sim racing and i hope it takes the place it deserves... maybe with the new merger or whatever happened and a collaboration of ideas that all that might come to fruition.

Alex72 likes this.
  9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for the kind comments and understanding.

tweaq likes this.
  10. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Is fine all was said and ISI was clear enough, but is still beyond me, that in 2015-2016 those migraton and steam key generation process with all software in disposal wasn't been managed in a way, it could be without restriction. This was just lack of money to do proper job or lack in knowledge or time, from ISI, STEAM team or both side.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Any source for that claim?

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Well what else could be in general? Lack of technology and hardware support sure not. I guess is just a matter of how much is something important for your business and if expected result justify investment(time, money, infrastructure and stuff) And that is ok. But this still doesn't mean it was managed, someone should expect. People are justifiably angry, that's all.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Argumenting the possible sale of a steam code not being used, something that could be done by someone applying for the migration in the expected time frame, doesn't really sound honest to me.

Some people missed that deadline for migrating to steam, that for sure they would have done, simply because they abandoned rF2 for a time lapse for whatever reason when the change and deadline were announced.

It is clear that they could have forced everybody to buy again the title in steam. It would have been funny to read the arguments from all the people defending now the fact that others need to rebuy the game.

IMO they didn't do it in order not to have to deal with a massive community rebellion. It is certainly easier to deal with a few uninformed desertors.

Maybe it would be interesting to see what would happen if affected people got organized and presented a common claim.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

ISI probably had little skill/interest with Steam, considering that Marcel from S397 was the person who coded the Steam transition for them. And now ISI has even less interest as they don't own the game anymore.

15. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

Major PC crash at the weekend (and a few minors prior to that) caused me to re-install windows. I decided to format the SSD first. Now because I am no longer within the free upgrade period that Microsoft imposed upon windows 7 migrating to windows 10, I have the choice to stick with 7, or pay to upgrade to 10. (Or so it seems.)

Anyone seeing a parallel?

Also, so far, RF2 is the only game I have re-installed.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So no source then? You're merely guessing?

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Jup, the same way, when you buy broken stuff. The fact that is broken stay, no matter if you right or not about cause. I'm not mad, i'm just not convinced about how they do it. Is not a problem why they do it and is not problem they go full steam. If you are newcomer, you can still decide if you want steam or simply don't buy game and play it. But is wrong(my opinion of course), that people, who already own a game, can't play it anymore, simply because they didn't request migration code. Sure it was not a lot of people, that could justify reasons why they didn't migrate and it was probably the best decision from ISI, s397 and steam side to simply put decision on users, but this still doesn't mean it couldn't be done better way.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I do wonder why it wasn't automatic. Maybe it is a Steam rule(?) about migration, has to be time limited? It's a shame not everyone got the message about the Steam transfer. Something screwed up in the messaging system somewhere.

Those tuned into the forum would be in the know, but that is only a small portion of rF2 players. Weird thing is though.... the migration news was in the launcher to (I think?)... so how did people miss that? It's in front of them starting the game every time!

19. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

That is correct but is also depend, how you look at it. You can also look at it, it will probably be totaly obsolete in a year. Heck if you look at current development status and progress, it will be obsolete in a few days :) So Newcomers will most probably pay lees for whole game and will have updated build. This is only my opinion, but ISI should simply propose s397(or whoever manage with those keys) to generate those few free keys for those unfortunate and finish this situaton.

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I guess Steam could still reopen that window if there is will to resolve this situation. Technically, shouldn't be any obstacles. And if i'm hearing right, there are also free keys available, for those fortunate enough, for product promotion and so on. So if is possible to generate and give away free keys, then with a little good will, nobody should pay anything even in this case. Or iis my thinking completely unreasonable now?