Sooo been a while, how do i download rfactor2 now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tweaq, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

Well, actually, it may have the same name, but next big build will sport and updated graphic engine, plus a tons of new features. I would not call it "the same game twice". And on the bright side, it's just 29.99€ ... I think it's worth the money.

2. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Like I said earlier, you can still play the old build. you just can't update to new build and probably that new content won't be compatible too.

But did you try emailing support ?

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

As suggested, email support an explain the situation. I think the OP's claim for not receiving an official notification of important changes in the game such as "Non Steam cease of Support" and "Change of ownership" is quite fair.

I understand they will get a solution which is good for both parts.

ADSTA likes this.
  4. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Yeah who knows maybe it went through to the spam filter, i have a bunch of isi emails and the email i use is my gaming email which ive had for ages. I'll send them an email again and see what comes of it. I would have thought it would make more sense for everyone just to have a steam code attached to their account or something rather than having to apply that way people like me dont miss out - the game did get stagnant for a while there but hey thats how it went.... Fingers crossed it can get sorted out as ive got a new setup and rf2 was always an absolute pleasure to drive, im sure its better now.

Thanks again for the replies

5. xGerhardsax

xGerhardsax Registered

i don't quite agree with the "need to buy it again" thing.
    I also used the same email address for my purchase that I still use, and when I do a search, I never received such a notification.
    I even emails the staff last year June to help me out with activating my game again, and was just informed to download from the website and use the email I used to buy the game with to activate it. Nothing regarding Steam or codes etc.
    So I am a bit confused as well.
    Apart from the contact form, does anyone have an email address or two I can use to contact the S397 team?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

7. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Have sent 2 separate emails now and have received zero replies. I'll take it for what it is and move on to other sims. RF2 has been ahead in tyre, track modelling, and dynamic weather for years now. Its only now with the very latest cars on the very latest tyre models in iracing that you're getting a comparable feeling of immersion to what RF2 has had for years now. Some of the best memories I have in sims was with RF2 and a drying track with the dallara at nords....

This whole thing has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth which im sure will go away at some point, but considering ive played isi games since sports car gt and have been involved i the sim racing community since nascar1 papyrus days and rec.autos.simulators days i cant say im overly impressed. Not meaning to start a disagreement, but when someone ownes a legitimate copy of a game and its moved to another portal they should automatically receive a new serial for that system, regardless if they request it or not. Anyway unless i receive an email rectifying the issue properly i'll quit filling the forum with my posts on the subject. Cheers again for the support peeps.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Your old license will still work perfectly fine for offline, you can even install all the latest content and mods on it. So far S397 has released one build that basically only did some fixes to stock car rules. I know this will change, but in this day your old license is still the same as what is on Steam, with all the high-fidelity physics, etc.

TwoHardCore likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@tweaq since you weren't around I guess you didn't see all the backlash about moving to steam. Seems like plenty of people would have been upset if they'd automatically been moved to steam.

Your principle, your loss (IMO). It's a free world.

10. tweaq

tweaq Registered

If i can download current versions and play them offline then thats a misunderstanding on my behalf and more than happy with that. My interpretation was all id have access to is builds that were year or more old as the download links were for build 1098

11. AceLain

AceLain Registered

no you can't play the current build

but the build 1098 and the content will still works

12. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Then ridiculous. Of course they can issue a new key so i can play the game that i bought already considering that they had already apparently offered me, they just choose not to.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Only those people who chose not to move to steam during the 16 months that totally free migration to steam was available are in this situation. If you did at least request your key, then please email support to ask me to recover it, otherwise there is nothing that can be offered to you except the final ISI build, which is here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

14. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Fair enough, like i said have no email in my inbox despite having isi emails, so no i didnt apply for one. Dont understand the logic that you needed to apply to get a code so you can continue to get the new versions of a game you already own, or that the new company refuses to issue codes to people who missed out on that 1 year period for whatever reason, but i do understand that i wont be buying it again.

Appreciate the help regardless.

Guimengo and 88mphTim like this.
  15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Forced migration wasn't an option as people didn't want to be forced to go to steam, even though I think it probably was the better platform very quickly.

Both companies aren't providing codes, I'm the only employee who is working for both and that's why I can recover keys for people who filled out the form and had a key added to their ISI account prior to the disconnection, as I can see ISI accounts (and help people get the final ISI build running that way if people still want it). There were various contact attempts made, through the launcher and site, social media and obviously email, and I do understand that people could miss it all, but there's no contingency for it as there are also (unfortunately - because they are missing out also) a group of people who just want to stay with 1098 as well and don't care about any of this.

I know it doesn't make you feel any better to get this answer, but thanks for being civil.

tweaq likes this.
  16. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I doubt many would buy another ISI product after this BS

Guimengo likes this.
  17. stonec

stonec Registered

The old ISI product with the old license is still working perfectly fine, it never ceased to exist. Typical AAA games only receive a year or max two of patches, rF2 was patched for 4 years until it moved to a new company.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  18. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Sall good for now, build 1098 is nothing short of an absolute pleasure to drive. Still not sure how i feel about the s397 gotta buy at full price if you missed the free migration period but for now im having multiple nerdgasms driving the old nascars around spa at 5am and light rain showers come rolling in. If s397 can develop a top notch netcode and a ranking system like iracing has this game will flourish, it has nowhere near the credit it deserves. All this game ever needed was more marketing.

19. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I didn't miss the transfer to steam deadline but I also didn't receive an email notifying me of it.
    I have checked through the emails on my server.

It's the ethics of cutting off people who paid good money for rF2 from transferring that bothers me.
    There should never had been a cut off date IMO.

Guimengo likes this.
  20. tweaq

tweaq Registered

I hear ya, ive searched through all my emails and have nothing mentioning the need to merge or even of a merger itself. The first time i heard about s397 was after logging into the forums after reading about the dx11 updates the sim is receiving on a sim news website and figured it was bout time to pick it back up again.

I cant even fathom the logic that in order to continue to receive current updates of a game you have already purchased, you needed to apply within some arbitrary time frame, and if you didnt tough luck you're stuck with legacy versions and you no longer get to play the game in its current state, which is exaggerated by the fact that mods are released on the steam workshop now. If this is was going to be the case for logistics or whatever, then EVERYONE who ownes a legitimate copy of the game should have had automatically received some sort of steam code attached to their account, regardless if they saw the email, twitter, or facebook post or not.

I bought into RF2 the minute i could and to be honest im not even sure if s397's dealing with this situation is legally sound. Its not an expansion, its not different game, theres been a patch and theres a new direction they'e heading whilst its based in steam now with merger of developers, but its RF2. I cannot think of a single other game that has gone down this path, and for good reason.

Right now RF2 needs all community the support it can get as its by far the most under-appreciated sim on the market for whatever reasons it doesnt matter now. In terms of dynamic weather, tracks, tyre models, physics, mods, and at times graphics, and most importantly immersion its FAR ahead of anything else thats available at the moment with only iracing starting to near its territory with the very latest cars on the very latest iterations of their tyre model, but even then the sense of pleasure is not comparable. I want to see this game do well, burning people who own the game is not a good start and i hope its not a sign of things to come from this s397 merger/takeover... and the familiar smell of silence on their behalf isnt a good sign.

In the meantime im going to enjoy the phenomenal sim that Tim and ISI have created, and hopefully soon this ridiculous issue effecting a number of people can be rectified in a fair manner and we can all move on and focus on making this game even better than it already is.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017