Where's my steam license key

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZOLLERMAN, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZOLLERMAN

ZOLLERMAN Registered

I purchased this game many years ago and was one of the many important customers which helped fund the creation of this wonderful game.

I've not played for some time due to not having the time and therefore not wanting to pay the £10 multiplayer subscription fees. I now would like to resume my racing only that I can't find anywhere in my inbox a steam license key. I mean I'm sure valuable customers like myself are being rewarded with free copies of the re-release due to us already owning it. Otherwise that would be like Microsoft changing you for Windows Updates.

2. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

Self entitlement is the disease of XXI century.

You should have requested it yourself, had plenty of time until January 31st.

McFlex, bwana and jayarrbee36 like this.
  3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Some moderation action is needed in the forum to avoid the massive thread creation about a common issue.

I would suggest a clear sticky thread of steps to be taken by people who bought either lifetime/suscription rF2 prior to the move to Steam.

Thanks

peterchen likes this.
  4. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Valuable customers ? And don't buy for a lifetime ?
    Steam key is an another key. Old key was an ISI's key. Steam need à S397's key. If you don't have migrate your old key on steam before the 31/01/2017 you must download the last build of ISI (But your key is not compatible with the latest build on steam) or buy a new key for steam (good news there no more multiplayer subscription now :p)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

6. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I purchased lifetime subscription some weeks before multiplayer was free for all.
    I am sure s397 is going to make some great imptovement out of my money :p

7. ZOLLERMAN

ZOLLERMAN Registered

That response is the disease of the millennia. :)

Please can you elaborate on what you mean by plenty of time? Plenty of time to receive an email informing me of the migration of steam and how to get a license key? Because the emails in question are more fictionional than a Lord of the Rings Novel.

At least the rest of the comments here are informative.

I've sent them an email and their response was patronising and unproductive. Hopefully the second response will include a viable solution.

I think you can liken the approach of "Steam key is an another key. Old key was an ISI's key. Steam need à S397's key" to a games publisher releasing an expansion to their game and then stopping you from playing it unless you buy the expansion $$$.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It was plastered all over their website that there was a limited time to transfer rF2 to steam.... people had MONTHS to do this, FOR FREE. Facebook, Twitter, website.... the messages were there.

jayarrbee36 and bwana like this.
  9. ZOLLERMAN

ZOLLERMAN Registered

Please explain why I would go to their site regularly if I hadn't had the time to play for many months. I don't use Facebook or twitter, nor have I any interest in rejoining social media. To say the messages were there is exactly like advertising a car park you can use free of charge, whilst clamping people for not adhering to sign posts which are completely hidden from anyone's view. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Guimengo likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Didn't they email everyone about it? Pretty sure I got one about the transfer.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

Everyone got the email reminder in January, if you didn't, you probably no longer are using the same e-mail address as you registered with years ago.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

S397 admitted that not everyone would be happy with how the Steam crossover worked and new price but for rF to survive it had to be done.
    As usual with change it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
    I'm always amazed people spend the money for hardware without fuss but software, holy crap you think it was the biggest purchase in their lifetime.
    Just remember software devs need an income like everyone.
    You will never please everyone all the time.

13. ZOLLERMAN

ZOLLERMAN Registered

I didn't get any emails other than one advertising it was in the sale, nothing mentioning about how to migrate to steam. I've got pockets full of cash, I'm just not willing to buy the game twice out of principle. If they can show me the "multiple" emails, which is what they said they were, I would gladly pay for it. Fact of the matter is, they didn't send it to everyone who purchased the game, probably everyone with an active subscription.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It may of gone to your Spam folder.

bwana likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

This link shows the email template you should have received, dated 23.1.2017 with headline "Last chance to move rFactor 2 to Steam". I find it hard to believe they would have "forgot" to send you the email, it was probably 99% automated extraction of emails from the customer db.

GoldenBear and bwana like this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

everyone got one, just some people didnt see it, its in your spam or your junk ..

GoldenBear likes this.
  17. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

I'm sure that an "one of the many important customers which helped fund the creation of this wonderful game" and "valuable customers" like you (even if you did not buy a lifetime key :p) will see no inconvenience to endure a little more this wonderful game by buying a new license, especially if it is promoted at 30 or 50% as often happens on steam: p

GoldenBear and jayarrbee36 like this.
  18. Comante

Comante Registered

.... I find unbelievable how you blame others to not know an info, while you admit to be out of touch from the "digital information systems". Probably the herald sent by ISI and Studio397 was killed in an ambush from Kunos or Reiza to prevent you to switch to Steam in time... You know, a valuable resource like you can push people to kill a poor herald and his horse...
    I think you simply didn't care, then you changed your mind, is now late, and now are making this fuss to switch for free (for the sake of principle, not because you can't afford it). If you want to play RF2, buy it again, if not, then don't blame anyone else except you.

GoldenBear, jayarrbee36 and LeStrat like this.
  19. ZOLLERMAN

ZOLLERMAN Registered

I find it incredible that so many people just on to the establishment wagon and assume the customer is always to blame. Have you ever thought they might have messed up?

I check my junk mail, which is why i got an email about the game being in the sale.

I'm still waiting for my key...

kimikaze likes this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

Maybe if you can get Studio 397 to check their logs whether the e-mail was sent for your license ID or not, you'd have a better chance of getting a free key. The reason I find it unlikely "they" messed up is, there is no guy sitting on his PC typing in tens of thousands of e-mail addresses manually for all customers that have ever owned rF2, it's a process that is not dependent on a human.

But maybe there could have been some limitation in the system regarding special chars in the e-mail string, who knows. It's why I follow companies I "depend" on in social media, because 99% of the communication is in social media these days. If my web streaming service doesn't work, they don't send me any e-mails, but there is likely a post in the social media in a matter of minutes explaining why, etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.