Released Released NOLA Motorsports Park!!! v100

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Is the wet-track-look when the track is dry going to be fixed some time?

Guimengo likes this.
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yep, with the new DX11 graphics update. All the old and tired problems will be fixed with that.

Karei likes this.
  3. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

This 'wet look'-effect is supposed to be a 'mirage'-effect, where the track surface acts as mirror, due to low viewing angle and hot air above the roadsurface. Google 'mirage effect'.
    ISI implemented this feature years ago, so it's not a bug, although you can argue about how realistic this effect looks in rF2.
    It looks OK sometimes IMO

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I would BUY that explanation, if it was happening at mid-day, but it isn't - it's always in dusk or dawn... Nope.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's been acknowledged eons ago as a little issue

Bjørn likes this.
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I just turned track reflections off. Seems to still look pretty good.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I found the Magic bullet against aliasing .
    Through pure frustration with aliasing and invisible /transparent trees , i was playing with AA settings both ingame and in nVidia inspector .
    Finally found that turn off AA ingame totally and use 8xQ[8x Multisampling] and 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling all but eradicated aliasing.
    Seriously try Lock Drummond (i think its called) , first corner (left) down hill still in pit exit, with ingame AA maxed and the lines are really bad , try my settings and the lines are completely smooth .WOW.
    This even works perfectly in Nola grandstand flicker .
    I have taken photos of all my settings just to make sure i don't stuff them up somehow.
    Thank me now or thank me later . You will thank me ,lol.
    These settings should be in the manual .lol
    Seriously transformed the aliasing for me . I hate aliasing (in case you cant tell) and i dont have transparent trees anymore .

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

We've been using this option (or even better, the correct MS and SGSS combos) for years. It isn't a magic bullet because most people don't have systems powerful enough to run good looking settings with this option on and still have sim-worthy frame rates. And second, you will discover that by not using in-game settings, some textures and options and transparencies are screwed-up. It may be worth it to get rid of the jaggies, but it isn't a magic bullet.

However, if things go according to schedule, we'll have a new base to try settings against very soon. Hopefully it will respond to graphics cards in a normal manner and will have improved performance via DX11. We can only keep our fingers crossed that five years of graphics settings frustration is finally coming to an end...

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Quite the contrary , With the combo of ingame and GPU settings , i was having transparency issues but with ingame set to off and only GPU settings on all my trees and textures never looked better .
    Can you share what "the correct MS and SGSS combos" are ?

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Look at all the fences at Portugal (ISI) track as an example. If they show-up properly, you have found some "magic" setting that I have never been able to.

Perhaps it your use of non-standard SGSS? The experts say you should always match the multisampling with the SGSS, so for example both at 2x or 4x or 8x. If yours works and looks good, keep it, though! rF2 does not respond the same as most other software.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

If i could use 8x SGSS i would but dont have enough grunt (@4k) so 2x SGSS and 2x MS doesn't look as good as 2x SGSS and 8xMS. I have read that the x should match but cant see visual improvement only performance (obviously).
    I haven't noticed any fence issue at Portugal (ISI). Is it obvious? I'll google what the issue looks like?
    But now with in game AA off and these inspector settings all i need is some more lighting? Vibrancy? Dx11?
    I heard its coming tomorrow ;)

12. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Did it ever come to your mind, that your problems with aliasing could be hardware related? Even two graphics cards of the same model can perform different due to differences in the production process etc. I see you commenting on this issue quite often, but personaly never had those big issues that you seem to experience. I don't see a single problem with Portugal and it's fences simply using ingame AA settings at max where I had more issues with my previous graphic card and inconsistent tree alphas as I had to use AA at a lower level. Mind you, I am running a quite low resolution (1440x900), so the explained problems with Moire effects aren't as pronounced as on bigger screens. But rF2 doesn't work any different in that regard to any other 3D software that I use. Good AA comes at a cost.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I don't have any problems with the fences at Portugal using in-game AA, either. You might want to read more carefully.

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

"Look at all the fences at Portugal (ISI) track as an example. If they show-up properly, you have found some "magic" setting that I have never been able to."

That sounds as, if they are not showing up properly for you. But whatever ...

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Now with current settings even at 3840x2160 and 55" from a 55" screen i don't have any problems with aliasing :) on any tracks (ISI or not).

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Based on a quick look, especially your second picture, I'd say those trees are incorrect, at least compared to what ISI standard settings achieve. Below (right picture) is how tree edges are supposed to look with in-game transparency AA. This is the problem that @Marc Collins refers to. You can achieve good things for certain objects with one AA value, but then something else will look bad. I've given up on trying to achieve perfection with rF2 and use default Nvidia settings only + in-game AA.

[​IMG]

Marc Collins likes this.
  19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Oh, okay, i thought they looked pretty good, i could see right through them before, lol. If its just the tree edges(leaves) that should look a bit different then at speed i dont see them but before it was just so distracting having ghost trees and lines flickering and crawling, now I'm calling it perfect. lol.

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I just tested it myself and it seems that you aren't running any transparency AA at all, so as stonec allready explained you, your settings are not quite right as trees should look softer. What I noticed though is that the trees have some transparency issues when the sun shines through them from behind, so i guess that's what you are referring to. I think, this is more track related though as I don't see those problems on other tracks like NOLA. While driving it's not really that noticable, but when looking at a screenshot it's visible.

Attached Files: