What's with people not caring about looks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Feb 26, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I think everything works? I know PP's didn't work in AC for awhile but they have it working now, although we still can't scroll through PP shaders. Default only.
    I think everything works in Pcars? All the signs and flags are in VR.

The one added problem for VR is focusing points and massive gpu load because of the 3D environment. This makes for some blurry areas. This is where, I think, AC shines. Less eye candy seems to work better at the moment but I'm sure it's going to change soon.

2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Does ReShade/SweetFX work in VR (in general for any game/sim)? Just wondering. Can be a good enhancer. :)

3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Not really that much of an enhancement that I have seen since AC's 64 bit update last year. I haven't tried SweetFX on anything else.

I have it installed now but I don't see a difference with VR in AC at the moment. I may not have it installed right?

I don't know why 32 bit was better but I could not run VR without SweetFX before the 64 bit update. It did work that good.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Maybe its not the graphics as such but more the atmosphere and look of life at the track.
    I do think the textures are pretty nice alone with the in car shadows.
    Oh and reflections are great.
    I have AC pretty much maxed @4k with pp off. Mostly i like the graphics but still never play it. The tracks are lifeless and the Ai sucks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

99% of trees made for all rF2 tracks including modded ones use billboarding, so that's going to be a problem if it doesn't look good with VR. Maybe someone with VR experience can comment if it's really an issue. Few games use full 3D trees anyway, almost all racing sims rely on X-shaped trees.

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Your friends reaction doesn't surprise me at all. We may get a lot more information but, it's something we get accustomed to over time and it becomes our normal; we don't realize how much we rely on it until we go without it. I read guys with motion rigs referring to over-baking the effects, where the motion effects completely overwhelm the FFB, vibes, etc. One's first time using a DD-wheel can be a bit like that.

7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I think most of us guys coming from over a 1000 hour in AC have the same experience with rF2 for the first time.

I know I did.

I drove the F1 Spark and tried skipping through the corners the same way I can with the Lotus 49 in AC and ripped off all four tires and just about my arms with them. It scared the crap out of me and couldn't wait to do it again because my four decades of driving experience told me "this is the most realistic sim I have felt to date".

I was having a hard time leting off the fuel too quick and losing it. I really had to watch the road and pay attention in rF2.

It was true love at first crash.

So I guess rF2 might look like crap but I can't say right now because I too busy driving. Will get back to you guys when I get another hundred hours in or so.

blakboks and emha76 like this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I can't recall any tree problems in R3E or AC :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I was just thinking about Dirt Rally has more 3D objects like trees but I suppose they just have more than 3 or 4 2D pictures propped up in the shape of a tree so I'm not sure.

Although all of the cars are definitely 3D.

I haven't seen any problems in VR apart from huge GPU load and PP's not working very good.

10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

The length of Dirt Rally tracks is massively limited by those gorgeous graphics. There's always a tradeoff.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

My 980Ti gpu is sooo wimpy!

Are there any nuclear powered video cards on the market yet??:p

12. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I've bought rf2 a month ago and I couldn´t be any happier. Exceeded my expectation by far. My rig is really bad and I have to run it with everything in low settings, no shadows, no rain, no aliasing.. nothing. Just plain physics and I absolutely love this!! I have a g27 and this game convinced me to get a direct drive wheel as soon as posible. with this physics I cannot care less about graphics. eitherway Im also getting new GPU and I think I'm done for the next 15 years. I know this is true after ten years in rf1
    :cool:

bwana, MarcG and vegaguy5555 like this.
  13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Well said brother. I just got rF2 last month and I have never had this kind of work out on any other sim, not even AC.

You got to try the Yellow Bird Ruf. Sorry I can't remember where I found it, I just searched Google.

This car leaves me winded!! What a rush. I have found nothing that shows off what rF2's physics are really capable of like this car does.

Happy drifting!!

Rastas and juanarg70 like this.
  14. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Hmmm,i need to find that baby then hehe,i have made one for RF1 but never release it :) GRAB_042.JPG

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Welcome Juanarg.
    You won't be disappointed with a DD wheel.
    I started sim racing 10 years ago with rF1.
    My wheel progression went Logitech Momo, G25, Fanatec GT3 RS, Thrustmaster T500, Simucube OSW.
    The biggest jump in difference of feel was the OSW.
    Simply unbeatable, for now.
    Track and car combinations I drove just before getting the OSW were totally different. Some tracks had bumps I never knew of and cars were so much easier to feel what was happening and catching oversteer slides became a joy.
    Then when you get a better pc you'll be so happy it will sicken people. :cool:

vegaguy5555 and RaceNut like this.
  16. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Saving money rIght now to get that beautifull OSW kit. My wheel progression was logitech momo, g27 (nowadays) and hopefully the OSW very soon.
    At first try, i thought: ¨this feels a lot like rf1 (low settings might have their impact on this conclusions) but after racing about 2000 km I started to realize the amount of physics involve and little details that rf2 has in comparison to rf1.. which I also like a LOT. After that I really understand how my hardware (wheel) was lagging behind my software.
    I have an amd fx4300. 8gb ram, mobo m5 a97 r2 and amd radeon r7 1gb GPU. My plan is getting new PSU, GTX 980 4gb, and a new aircooler to my fx4300 just to overclock it a bit.. and not bottleneck my GPU

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That car is a "rip" from another game by SimDream, who completely botched and made up how the cars drive, all being extremely soft. You're free to do as you wish but beware places like that, especially who charge for cars. They aren't legitimate and you'll be supporting their practice that coincidently also discourages legitimate modders.

Ernie likes this.
  18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

They don't work as well as they do without depth information. They're just not as convincing of effects. Billboarding could work as long as the object is far enough from the view that you don't get two significantly different transforms for each eye. Either that, or it should be transformed to some average position between both eyes. Either way, billboards will still appear as being flat planes. 3D Hero trees near track-side will look significantly better. However, billboards could probably still be used in the distance as an optimization.

Since there's no depth information actually stored in a normal map, and only changes how the surface is lit, they, too, are not as convincing as they are on a normal monitor. However, they still work very well for surface detail, but any protruding geometry should be modeled. For example, a tarmac track surface will probably be ok, but cobblestones will likely look better as either modeled geometry, displacement mapping/geometry shader, or a parallax occlusion map shader.

19. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You can only dream but if rF2 can look like this after DX11 upgrade it would be perfect!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  20. Ernie

Ernie Registered

It's a little bit disturbing, that a console, which have less hardware power than an average gaming PC, is able to produce such photorealistic graphics. And even with more complex physics calculations, a PC should handle these graphics at a similar level.