Better offline experience

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pauli Partanen, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Hello! I haven't modded Rfactor 2, but last two months I have been able to mod Rfactor/Automobilista much better, but stupid Ai there is just killing immersion. Rfactor 2 has great AI, but there ain't really good series that I would like to drive (F1 2013 by frenky is good). Mostly AIW is very slow with AI, and autocalibrate wont make it much better. Usually there is few corners where AI is too slow and cars are too same powered.

1)Is it possible to add different engines/mass/aero/reliability to Isi cars(+talent files)? If it is, could somebody give info how to do it?
    I was hoping to turn Brabham bt20 or bt44 into series. Offline races are better when AI has different cars.

2)Different racing lines for each driver? This should be possible, but could somebody give info how to do it.
    I think this would make series more realistic

3)Realistic AI mistakes. I'm thinking like late braking or driving to grass on tight corner and losing control of car.
    I was driving with 1988 mod at kyalami 1975 track and 3rd corner AI usually goes on grass. Sometimes this leads to awesome AI mistakes, and would love to recreate this effect to other tracks too. Could I make this with AIW or how?

4)Question about AI limiter. Does this turn some AI to very stupid, or does this effect top speed etc and that way make AI slower.

Hopefully someone has time to answer to this. Rfactor 2 has massive potential, but seems like modding community uses Assetto Corsa and Automobilista. Automobilista is already awesome game, but Rfactor1 AI is just too boring.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Sorry to bring up old threads , but...
    Wow , no responses to this ??
    I thought people would be able to answer this stuff ?
    Google isnt much help either :(
    How did you go with question 2 ? This would make Ai racing pretty great .

3. toebee

toebee Registered

#2 is theoretically possible but it would have to be setup by the track maker and mod maker. Not something someone could just adjust. Not to mention it would take forever to do.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

For #3, there was a setting in the plr file of GTR2 that allowed you to increase or decrease the amount of AI driver errors. I haven't yet poked around this mythical json file, but perhaps there is something in there.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mh, never saw this thread, otherwise I would have answered - it just didn´t appeared on my radar.
    Well all of this is possible. But if you have to ask "How to alter engine/mass/aero..." I would forget about this.
    You have to have advanced modding-knowledge to do these things and I won´t give a full fletched modding-tutorial here.
    If you are still interested we can maybe work this out via pm.

6. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

is there possible to use my hotlap times to make multiple fast lines? If not it should be..

7. toebee

toebee Registered

If you put a track in devmode you can use the aiw editor to add any line you like. Then you use the talent file to tell the driver to use that path. However it's not so simple. Adding lines takes more than driving them. You must make sure the path is smoothed at known trouble spots. Pit in and out, start finish line, ect... This updates the tracks aiw file. So you either have to put out your own version of the track. Or work with current track builders to update their tracks.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Differentlines for individual AI is (or at the very least used to be) possible as I did it a long time ago.
    Iirc you name the path in the AIW Editor the same as the driver, then in the talent file name the Path the drivers name. That might not be it exactly but it's along those lines, worked a treat when i did it.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

In dev mode can you start off without an AIW file and then build it from scratch?

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

There is a setting for that in the JSON file.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You can start off with a blank one but have the start section at 0,0,0 or something, someone with more recent knowledge is probably best to answer (!) but something like a fresh AIW is possible.

hexagramme and Woodee like this.
  12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Correct, just delete the aiw from the track folder and a fresh empty new one will be created next time you hit save in the editor.

MarcG likes this.
  13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Using replay files in dev mode is also possible. Tim Wheatley said this was requested by someone in the staff and was introduced some time ago. However, I tried using this method in the past with no success in terms of improving AI. I couldn't find anybody else reporting about this (neither success nor failure). Anyone else has tried this?

You have to change a parameter in devmode player.json file so that when you resume from a replay you don't gain control.

Then you open devmode and load the replay file. It should be a player's replay file. A replay from the server won't work sknce you will only be able to use the paths of the player who generated the replay file.

You resume from replay but keep seeing that replay where the AIW menu is available. You select the option to record new fast path. When vehicle crosses the S/F line, it will start recording.

I could make it work but the resulting AIW was much worse than the original. The used lap was a very good lap and AI trying to reproduce that lap were driving very slow.

Creating good AIW path is not easy. Hexagramme seems to master this task beautifully and if I am not wrong is creating fast path of latest ISI/S397 tracks.

IMO using replays is a very interesting method. It would be great if it worked fine. I wish it was introduced as an alternative learning method for single player mode. I mean avoiding the need if redefining AIW in dev mode and repackaging. In order to do it you should specify somehow which lap to use as reference.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    RoboCAT10 likes this.
  14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I used it too for some test purposes. It works sometimes/for particular corners, but I find the feature "fiddely", if you know what I mean.
    It´s not made to the end. It isn´t the holy grale of creating aiw,- depends on combo how it works out.

15. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

I too have been trying to figure out how to create my own AI files. I have read through this document.

However it doesn't say in what 'mode' I need to be. I tried switching to dev mode and using the keyboard shortcuts mentioned but they didn't do anything.

Any help appreciated.

16. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

Also, I notice the AIW file is within a MAS file. Is it OK to delete this and resave the MAS file without a AIW file? Will a new one be automatically be put in there?

Finally, in dev mode there was only one track available. How do I get the others in there?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You need to take all files out of their MAS files and into the dev mode folder e.g. "steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Locations". You should try and copy the folder structure stated at the top of the SCN file so that all the appropriate objects can find their textures and other files.

I tend to comment out the MAS file lines aswell, seen in green here.

[​IMG]

hexagramme likes this.
  18. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

Ah, thanks, Woodee. I will try that.

Can I ask what the purpose is in commenting out the MAS file lines?

:D