How can I edit the player json file?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Mar 4, 2017.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

After downloading the latest update and being connected with steam now I am now unable to edit the player.json file. Before the update, I could originally search for 'player' in my computer search an go from there. Now when I search the same, I get a player.json file, but it is the old one, and any changes I make to that does not show in the game.

I then attempted to search for json file using the rfactor launcher directory. However when I use that, all the external folders show, but the actual content is not there. So I am unable to edit the 'actual' player.json file. As you can see from the image below.

https://gyazo.com/4ce02c7a4b96e6d3734c47dd72fce8ea

This is frustrating me, because now that rfactor is ridiculously connected to steam it is making what was an easy job impossible to do. How can do I edit the player.json file? Please?

2. AceLain

AceLain Registered

From memory:

/Steam/steamapps/common/rfactor2/userdata/player

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Thank you, that's it!:)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You were trying to open a folder, so it was only showing folders... you were in the right place...

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

No you don't understand. The folders were there, but the files were not visible. Therefor I was unable to select the json file.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Look at your window in your screenshot. It's for opening a folder. Down the bottom it says folder. That's why you only see folders.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you tried to open in notepad (filtered for all files) then the player.json would be there to open. Even better, get yourself a JSON editor.

8. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

No your just not understanding what I'm trying to say. Thanks anyway though. Issue is fixed now anyway.

9. 73_Dave_Martin

73_Dave_Martin Registered

Make sure when you edit the JSON file that rFactor2 isn't running, if it is, it will overwrite any changes.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RoboCAT10 Your screenshot shows the folder Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player. That's the exact same folder @AceLain gave, which you then said was correct.

Your screenshot shows a dialog box titled "Open Directory", and down the bottom it says "Folder:". That sort of dialog won't show files, only folders. That's why you couldn't see the files that are in there.

If you then navigated to that same folder, but not in a dialog box for opening a folder/directory, you would then see the files. Which is, I believe, exactly what you did.

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I rarely use the search function in Windows so I may be wrong but instead of searching for "player" maybe Robo should have searched for player.json
    I prefer to use/make shortcuts to often needed items.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RoboCAT10 didn't use the windows search (which I agree isn't very useful, but especially for searching for folders/files). He clicked the + in the Launcher -> Content tab. That + button lets you select a folder, which means it doesn't show files.

But no - it's actually because rFactor is 'ridiculously connected to steam'.

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Thanks for the knowledge Lazza. :cool:

I misunderstood what you were trying to say, it's OK now because the issue all along was rFactor being ridiculously connected to steam.
    ;) Hehehe couldn't help myself.

Robo, in the future instead of assuming people don't understand what you are saying, remember that it could be you who doesn't understand what is being said.
    There is nothing wrong with admitting an oversight but people don't appreciate attitude when offering help. ;)