[WIP] Queensland Raceways Track Pack

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mike Cantwell, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

....and of course Dick Johnson Straight....

wip26.jpg

Gary77, 2ndLastJedi and Mauro like this.
  2. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Yay for the day!!

Had a huge issue with a corrupted track .gmt and it would not show the alpha channel with the stripes and grass verge. Lots of time later, I have a win and now I can map the track edges and lines. Looking OK and once the lines are done the walls are next...than hopefully a BETA release :)

The next little post will be the start lines and grid positions.....I hope lol

wip27.jpg wip28.jpg

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Looking good! :)

Sorry, I still can't help myself that grass blades look pretty big compared the car and surrounding terrain details... ;)

Nibiru likes this.
  4. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Getting the grass edges and lines working is a little fiddly. Also the white is too white...not sure how to reduce the brightness. i will work on that after getting the lines mapped and located.

A couple of photos....

wip29.jpg wip30.jpg

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Do the lines have normal map? They probably need some variations of colours near white in the albedo. White lines aren't always as white in real life :)

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I sometimes add a little vertex alpha to the roadline mesh

Mike Cantwell likes this.
  7. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Human error....or Max not co-operating. In Max I had the shader "Bump Specular Map T1" That was incorrect. It should be the same as Silverstone..."Specular Map T1 mul T2.

I changed it in Max, exported and the gmt still had the previous shader on it...So I deleted the gmt and the texture in Max, created a new one, exported and it is now working perfectly. Looks good too :)

I still have so much to learn with the new RF2 settings and the Spec power, Spec Fresnel and those settings and how they affect the image.

Also, not sure what you mean Nibiru "I sometimes add a little vertex alpha to the roadline mesh" That is also new to me lol.

Anyway, I will keep plugging away. Thank you guys for your responses :)

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

When you select a vert look in the Vertex Properties. You can set the colour illumination and alpha. Default alpha is 100% the closer to 0% the verts or object become invisible or see through. I set to 85-90% and some random verts I set lower it helps give a kind of worn look.

bravotangosix and Mike Cantwell like this.
  9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

White lines are actually not, uh... white... :)

"White" line texture mean/whiteness needs to be within Albedo limits (http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=AlbedoMap).

This is actually quite sensitive adjustment. If brightness & saturation of Albedo texture goes over limit, it gets very over-exposured and over saturated in game.

Take a look at some recently released tracks, like Toban, Mores or Palm Beach paint textures.

For road paint, use BumpSpecMap T1 shader with alpha blending. Chroma transparency does not work too well with road paint.

Woodee likes this.
  10. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I think they use mult T2 and use the ashphalt mult as the texture. I can't remember now which ISI track I looked at I think toban but what I remember I saw bump spec map t1 mult t2 ashphalt mult and alpha on verts.

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yeah, it depends a bit track to track. Sometimes even RealRoad shader is needed, if racing line clearly goes over paint and groove & skidmards are needed there.

It might be easier to start with BumpSpecMap T1 to get textures balanced and correct mapping applied, then change shader later if additional details are needed.

Mike: I'm sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread. It would be nice to have all this kind of Q&A info in Track Modding section. It gets easily lost here. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Mike Cantwell likes this.
  12. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Some white line settings
    Note: The transitions.dds is the white lines file with alpha channel. The ashphalt mult is the real road asphalt map (so that is being multiplied with the white lines) hence the stones show through.. and spec map is the spec map of the ashpalt..

Untitled-1.jpg

13. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The white line itself.. Note it isnt "White" put rather offwhite to grey.

TRANSITIONS.jpg

I wont take credit for these, as i used settings from ISI's Silverstone as a guide.

Mike Cantwell, adamfarmer and Woodee like this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

How's the progress going @Mike Cantwell ? Really looking forward to QR :)

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

See how the grass becomes dirt then road ? is it possible to make the dirt more varied ? in some tracks the grass goes right up to the track and looks a bit unrealistic and others it looks like in this pic and still not realistic but some has the dirt allsorts of various ways and looks the most realistic . I personally like the last way i described and hope that all tracks in the future have this .
    I'm not sure how much more work is involved but it sure pays of for realistic feel .
    I have never seen a track with perfectly manicured grass before .lol

16. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Progress is going forward. More updates soon :)

Gary77, MarcG, Mauro and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi everyone,

I need firstly to apologize for the lack of updates. I have been working on a home based business plus my normal job and there was simply no free time.

I now am settling down a bit and will continue updates and work on the tracks. There is a QR Track pack for rFactor 1 which I am releasing as soon as I have a god AIW file (SmellySkidmark is helping with that)

The AIW files are also being done for RF2.

The real race is on this weekend, so it will be a good opportunity to update the sponsor logos as well and bring that part up to date.

Thanks and again my apologies.

Mike

wip31.JPG

Gary77, SRGP, MarcG and 4 others like this.
  18. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Looks like you've included extra space for the proposed update at QR, very nice

SS

Drathuu likes this.
  19. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Im thinking "Wheres the new track" - Time to edit it in (You can always tweak it later) ;)

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Glad to hear it Mike, thanks for the update :)