[REL] F1 1999 Conversion v1.0

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by SL1DE, Feb 10, 2017.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

So, as some may know, about 8 months ago I started working on converting the 1999 season into rFactor 2. This was my first ever attempt at rFactor modding so it was a massive learning curve for me. I stopped working on it for about 6 months because I had other projects and such, then I lost enthusiasm. I was still working on it every once in a while, about once a month I'd cross something off my checklist. Well, on Wednesday I thought "You know what, I'm going to keep my head down and finally finish this thing".

So I got it to a point where I'm happy with it and can release the first (and possibly last) public BETA version of the mod, since a few people were asking for it.

Here's a video:

MediaFire v0.999 https://www.mediafire.com/?m75bk73l4uq5c84
    MediaFire v1.0 https://www.mediafire.com/?484ijbhzii3d13u
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=862441815

Now, it's version 0.999 because there's one thing I haven't done, basically because I couldn't be bothered. And that is recreating the race suits to fit in the template of the new animated driver. They're the right colour, and I didn't feel like it was important as you can't really see it anyway.

Well now you have an amateur crappy late 90s mod to play around with until somebody with skills and enthusiasm actually makes a proper one. xD

Let me know what you think!

Credits to WCP for letting me convert and release their 1999 mod in rF2.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

thanks! Now I know what do to next weekend!

3. bears

bears Registered

Thanks for your work very much appreciated

4. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Don't expect anything high quality. It's kind of "meh", but still fun to mess around with and hear those V10's scream.

Oh and a few of the hands don't line up, but If you want something super high quality it'll take me another 6 months. :p Just thought I might as well release it instead of giving up on it and scrapping it completely.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Turns out people are having issues downloading it with Stream, like it's not appearing in their list? That's odd, I'll upload it to MediaFire tomorrow. I didn't have time to do it tonight.

Maybe Steam doesn't support multi rfm packages?

6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

THX

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

@SL1DE Good seeing you've come this far :) It's been a while since we PM'ed but obviously you've gotten the hang of it!
    Motivation will fade in and out, you'll keep gaining know-how... At some point this "amateur" mod will be just as good as anything else :)

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Omg, this is a must have for me. Awesome work!!

9. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Thanks. Yeah, it has been a long time coming. Feel like I'm almost a pro now. I know a lot more about how things work.

Now I just have to figure out uploading to Steam because apparently it's downloading to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\365960\860705939\content" and it doesn't go to the packages list or install. I don't know if it might have something to do with it being a multi-rfcmp mod, or if it corrupted whilst uploading. I have to figure this out. x[

I'll try downloading it myself and see what happens.

Edit: I figured out the problem with Steam... I'm an idiot. I forgot to add \content for the directory on the metadata, so it was downloading all my preview, metadata, and content. xD I guess now I have to spend another 3-4 hours uploading the thing. Dammit.

Edit 2: Turns out I didn't figure it out because it still isn't auto-installing like it should. For fs sake. Steam sucks. Steam absolutely sucks big ones. Maybe I will just go old school with MediaFire.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Narrowbackwing likes this.
  10. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Yes upload to MediaFire , then it's simple --- copy / paste :)

11. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I think that's what I'll do. But it'll have to wait for tomorrow because my internet is slow, so it'll take about 4 hours to upload which I don't have time for at the moment.

Then after I at least get the MediaFire link up, then I'll try to figure out Steam.

12. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Ok, so after my embarrassing screw ups, I ended up going old school and putting it on MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/?m75bk73l4uq5c84

It's a multi-package so it installs multiple rfm's, one per team.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Narrowbackwing likes this.
  13. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

Thanks! Going to check it out now.
    E: quite fun! Ffb feels a bit funny sometimes but the mod is good fun, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Fixed the Steam issue! Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=862441815

Make sure any previous version/MediaFire version is uninstalled before subscribing to the Steam version. MediaFire will no longer have updates, and any updates I make will be added to Steam.

It's weird how on Steam, it uploaded half the size (finished prematurly), download says 500mb all up instead of the 980mb it actually is. I thought it might be incomplete uploads/corrupted, but everything works fine - At least on my side. So weird. o_O Unless Steam has some way of compressing uploads while you upload, which I didn't think was possible.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  15. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yeah it is funny. I have to learn some more to figure out some good FFB settings. This is my first ever attempt at rFactor modding, after all.

rubennaatje likes this.
  16. Schumi

Schumi Registered

17. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Your tyres look good, and I've seen it done like that before on other cars, but I kind of like the ones I have currently with the shiny inserts, it's more like real life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only downside is that I don't know how to get it for all of the tyres, it only works for the front left and the rest are like inside out even though I have individual GMT's for each tyre and reference it in the GEN. I've had a look at what ISI's treaded tyres are doing and I still can't figure it out on my own. :|

Wait, could I get a high resolution screenshot of your tyres? Like, full screen on the track instead of on the monitor screen? They looked flat to me, in your screenshots.

18. Schumi

Schumi Registered

20170213145805_1.jpg 20170213145828_1.jpg 20170213145842_1.jpg
    I spent a lot of time to understand how to implement it. As a result, I made a set of textures and materials for each wheel. Gloss can be configured, it is not a problem))
    1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG

19. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Hmm, I see... So do you think your textures could achieve the results I'm after? I guess you'd just need to put light grey lines in the specular and that should make it glossy between the tread and changing the value of the specular in 3DSimEd.

So what exactly did you do to get all 4 tyres showing correctly in game? Interesting that your bump map has thicker green/pink lines than mine, I wonder if that helps.

[​IMG]
    tread_s_mir was just an experimental thing I was trying... It's not in use.

Schumi likes this.
  20. Schumi

Schumi Registered

I took as a basis Williams 2004 by Mak-Corp. I looked at how to arrange a set of textures. Took all the necessary texture from rf1. Only need to be careful in the preparation of texture maps for each wheel, the texture should be in the right direction. Then I added in cocpitinfo.ini lines

// Wheel speed and tire compound are combined into a single animation index. For example, the first three animation frames would be the usual
    // tire speed blur animations for a dry-weather tire. You can add more tire speed blur animations for different tires.
    WheelSpeedAnims=3 // default is 3, but up to 6 *speed* anims allowed, multiplied by any number of graphical tire compounds
    WheelSpeedRPM=(168,672,1000,1500,2000) // RPM thresholds to switch animations between *speed* anims)
    GraphicalTireCompounds=4 // number of graphical tire compounds (may be less than number of physical tire compounds if some look the same)

So I left only one model of wheels
    Снимок.PNG