Help needed for Boost settings

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Juergen-BY, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi,
    i`m struggeling on my settings for boost usage. The first idea, to use the engine wear (engine wear rate per setting) as a penalty for boost usage isn`t working well, because we`re missing a engine wear display. Its not fun to get the engine broken without any previous notice.
    The second idea was, to use as penalty the engine temp, while using the boost setting "fuel increase". Problem with that is, i have to set the fuel increase to a very high value, wich would be complete "unreal", to reach the needed temperatures. Is there any other possibility, wich i may oversee at the moment, to increase the engine temp with the turbo usage?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

Not that this is necessarily terribly realistic either, it could be helpful to increase CombustionHeat=34.0, relative to EngineSpeedHeat=9.0e-5.
    This would increase the temperature disparity as fuel consumption increases. Making sure your engine cooling is borderline would also encourage using lower boost too (but you will want to allow for higher ambient temperatures). And other than increasing the wear rate, which you said is not really an option, there isn't much else available.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Would it be possible for the devs to put the engine lifetime in the API either as % or absolute value. As far as i know you can allready check the engine lifetime in devmode. So maybe the possiblity is allready there :)

Juergen-BY likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Non-linear boosteffects would be fantastic! Just saying! :p

Juergen-BY likes this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't know why you need to know engine lifetime in order to use engine wear related boost. AFAIK even in a modern F1 engine they don't know when exactly it's gonna fail, so usually in the second part of the races they play it safe and save the engine whenever possible. Let alone the older cars in which there were no predictors available. For example the engine failure of Lewis Hamilton on Sepang last year was completely unpredicted.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Because i want, that simple ;)

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Many thanks Michael, for your constructive reply. I`ll try to change the combustionHeat, thought about that, too..

//Edit: @Michael Borda
    just in case, you could spend some time...could you pls have a look there, too?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Probably bear in mind Michael is the physics guy. Though I'm sure he could probably find out the answer to that other question if he doesn't already know, we should probably just welcome physics input from one person (heck, THE person) who knows and not bother him too much ;) (anyway, I think the basic answer would be that 1.0 should be normal and that's why the cockpit has that; if the track has visual pop-in from the cockpit view on 1.0, it's either got too much/detailed stuff to avoid pop-in, or the LODs need adjusting [track])

Juergen-BY likes this.
  9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Sorry if I've missed something here, but why is there no ability to show engine wear? We had it in GID in rF1 right?

Whilst I can see people having issues about using it for competitive league use, it would be a really really useful tool for modders when making engines, expecially turbo engines which have a habit of blowing up.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

100% aggreed...

11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Engine lifetime can be shown in devmod. So should be no problem for modders.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes , but it is needed ingame for e.g. endurance races, too. And just before somebody would jump in and complain about that...these are data wich are available for todays real race driver, too.