R/C Racing Mod

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by FuNK!, Nov 4, 2013.

1. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Is this offer still valid!? :)
    If so, I would like to ask if you could make the tyre files for me?
    Currently making some progress on my indoor track and think a 10th scale car would be better (and more common).

2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Oh i've never seen this topic since today! I grew up with R/C racing, love it!
    I'm not good in modding, but, if you need some infos about real models, engines and tracks ask me, maybe can i help!

3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Its pretty hard to get data on the physics of an R/C (at least for me) so any data on real R/C physics would really help!
    • Engine profiles (torque, rpm)
    • Spring/damper characteristics

I've just put together a simple track and scene the other day. But it still don't look and feel right (track is approx. 3m wide and the area overall is 55x30 m). The car feels too slow and dull somehow but of course this could be because of its size (it's still the 5th scale model because I can't get my 10th scale model working properly). I'll add a short video to demonstrate this later ;)

EDIT: Video

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    The Iron Wolf and TwoHardCore like this.
  4. Daniele Vidimari

I've never driven an 1/5 rc but according to the video it seems very plausible, maybe a little bit too slow in corners, it's a RWD right?

Are you going to develop 1/8 scale too or only 1/5 - 1/10? If you find hard 1/10 scale you can try with 1/8. (All the RC cars i've driven/owned were 1/8)

BTW nice work!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  5. Skan

Skan Registered

6. evn39LL

evn39LL Registered

Great thread here - hope the mod isn't dead. I also have actual data and models to measure/weigh, mostly 1/10th scale:
    Associated TC4 with a Novak ESC and Reedy 5.5T electric, Kyosho RB6 and a Tekno SCT410.3 with Tekin 4600, Castle 3800 and 1415 motor data.

Was just thinking about getting tire models setup when I came across this forum, so if it is still alive I can share some info as well!

7. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

It's not dead...it's just progressing veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly :D
    Still missing tires and suspension in 1:10 scale keep me away from making greater progress though :oops:

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Anyone interested to face the challenge of creating some physics for 10th and 8th scale R/C road and maybe also offroad cars?
    I do not have the skills and the required time to get into the physics tools, but I could offer or research required data. I would also try to provide models and tracks if required.
    Just let me know here or contact me via PM or on discord ;)

9. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Long time no....radio control!

atomed, Juwe Lahann and The Iron Wolf like this.
  10. Daniele Vidimari

I was thinking about RC cars in rF2 just today :eek:

11. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

is it possible to drive them from somekind of bird's-eye view? do they have realistic fuel consumption(methanol or electric?)?
    I would really like to know, if its possible to drive a complete lap with 1/10 rc-cars at Nordschleife :D
    I dont think so, but would be interesting to know how far I can go with one full load.

EDIT: last sentence sounds wrong somehow.. :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  12. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Sometimes coincidences are really crazy :D

Cameras are quite flexible, so some kind of bird's eye is probably possible, yes.
    Currently the R/C cars is using the typical Nitro engine - don't know exactly how correct the data in the physics is, and I don't exactly know whether it's Methanol, Gas, or a mixture that was used as a reference. Fuel consumption is pretty accurate I would believe. However, these are things that I have not yet tackled.
    You won't probably be able to drive a full lap on the Nordschleife with those R/C. But you can already try if you like: Just grab the FormulaRC mod from the Workshop and go ahead on the track and see where it gets you :D
    Size is not 1/10. Ever wanted to realize but I have to continue on 1/5 because that's the way with less effort as I'm not too deep into physics creation and there was no one willing to help me here yet. Maybe I will take some small steps towards 1/10 later at some point, like shrinking everything to 1/6 first and then continue with 1/8 before I face 1/10 ;)

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

20201124041542_1.jpg 20201124041709_1.jpg 20201124041525_1.jpg 20201124041652_1.jpg 20201124041539_1.jpg

I search really a good RC mod with FFB, to use the AI, with the Kartsim tracks it's very fun. Maybe if we had the authorisation we can improve the ISI RC car ?

14. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

anyone having a clue what could cause the physics/graphics engine to break in crashing situations? I'm currently playing around with the Formula RC and when extreme crashes between cars or heavy collisions with objects happen, the game breaks: no CTD or such happens but the car's engine blows up (even those of the AI drivers), the speed shows "-2147483648" and while time is still running the "3D view" is freezed (UI/HUD elements work, game reacts on key presses). afterwards it's required to completely restart the game to "reset" the physics/graphics engine. any hints, clues, or help is very appreciated! ;)

15. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I did some tests again and reviewed a couple of files but did not really find something obvious. so I replaced the damage.ini file with the one from the skippy. However, on heavy crash or on "strange collisions" the graphics/physics still break. I guess, damage is not the problem. So I've switched to the old tire model to exclude the tire files causing the issues - still the graphics/physics break. Next thing I did was switching to the AI physics and what should I say: no breaking of the game!
    Can anyone tell me, what exactly is disabled when using the AI physics? maybe that way I can narrow down the problem!

16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

OK, was able to narrow down the problem a little: disabling the ultrachassis in the HDV significantly reduces the probability of breaking the game. so it is a suspension issue?

17. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Long time no...post!

Am still working on a 1:10 car now and then. Made some good progress but what's missing is a set of TGM files. Of course there is none available and there is also none you could use right away or modify to your needs (even the FormulaRC). So I have been fiddle-farting around, trying to achieve something with the TGM spreadsheet. However, it looks like I'm not skilled enough for this job :confused: and so I'm looking for some help here. Anyone able/willing to give a helping hand - or even better, give it a try to build a TGM for a 1:10 car!?

Here is my current TGM spreadsheet, the tire is based on the shape of a Tamiya 25mm standard-slick with some (OK, a lot) guessing here and there:
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q5tz..._005.ods?dl=0&rlkey=gq3o7rb5q98o6lw4nmjgiudbc

Really hope to find someone who can help here :oops: Thanks!

svictor and Corti like this.
  18. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Really no one that could or want to help here?

Would be a shame if I would have to end this project after so many years trying....

19. lagg

lagg Registered

haunetal1990 and Corti like this.
  20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Thanks. That's what I tried already and have been in contact with Chris already. However, the change is very dramatically from a normal tyre to a small one. Even from the FormulaRC to a smaller one. The problem is that this is really close to a limit case and the tools do not (yet maybe) properly work at that limit. I'm in frequent contact with Chris already and maybe we come to any solution. Having a fully calculated and proper setup TGM instead of a converted one would probably still the optimum. We'll see where this all goes in the end :cool:

svictor, Corti and lagg like this.